Bujagali Hydropower Project Update

Inland paddling
Adrian Shanahan

Bujagali Hydropower Project Update

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

MattBibbings

Re: Bujagali Hydropower Project Update

Post by MattBibbings »

We are spending Christmas and New year there so I think our trip will be just in time. Glad I didn't leave it too late!

Bren o

Post by Bren o »

Hey Adrian,
Will Nile special still be there ?
Cheers
Bren

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

Bren,

I haven't been to Uganda since 2001 so a bit sketchy on details ie not entirely sure.

If you drop Flea / Sam ward / Pringle a line they would most likely know.

Adrian

Bren o

Post by Bren o »

Okay mate,
Will do
Cheers

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer »

The dam is at Silverback, that rapid has/will vanish. Nile Special is on day2, so will remain unaffected, as long as water is released, which it will be, initially to keep the presure off the dam wall while constructing, subsequently to generate..... (an educated guess)
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn »

Richard Veitch

brendan2

Post by brendan2 »

Adrian Shamahan wrote: I haven't been to Uganda since 2001 so a bit sketchy on details ie not entirely sure.
I am afraid im gonna have to call you on this one. You've never been to Uganda!
I suspect like many other things you tell people you have or places you have been, this is another of a long line of mis-truths.
I know you are going to attempt to deny this, if so I would really appreciate some photos of you paddling in Uganda.
Besides if you had been you would know that nile special is so far down that it is well below this diversion

A concerned Irish paddler

John Kennedy

Post by John Kennedy »

Zing!
I beat the internet! (The last guy was hard)

Halox

Post by Halox »

Take that!

Plinky

Post by Plinky »

I suspect like many other things you tell people you have or places you have been, this is another of a long line of mis-truths.
Agreed. Full of Sh!%

Its one thing copying and pasting information on gear and boats but a bit worrying when he starts handing out info to people going to Uganda.
Still the explanation should be good. Or maybe he'll just do the usual thing and go quiet for a while. either way win win.

Plinky

Post by Plinky »

Yup. Looks like a cloak of silence from the Guru.

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Plinky wrote:Yup. Looks like a cloak of silence from the Guru.
Sorry i thought we were collectively morning the passing of some of the finest warmest gd 4 in the world rather than bleating on about some sort of personal vendetta... nobody cares - we are here to share the love!!
White water "rider"

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Loving the irony in the timing of this....
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

brendan2

Post by brendan2 »

justin-g wrote: Sorry I thought we were collectively morning the passing of some of the finest warmest gd 4 in the world rather than bleating on about some sort of personal vendetta... nobody cares - we are here to share the love!!
Not a personal vendetta, this guy is dangerous.
He already cost the Irish freestyle team an awful lot of money among other things with his lies, (In that case he knew Michael O'leary and had organised discount flights for the whole team)
Now he is claiming that he has paddled in countries he hasn't and giving rivers advice.

Though yes like when he shafted the freestyle team, I suspect we will not hear from him for a few weeks and the same crap will start again.

Tuomas

Post by Tuomas »

This is good news. Originally it was given that at some point december 2010 - january 2011 the diversion will start and we will loose the access to Silverback. Now there is a paper which guarantees access to this rapid at least to 15th february. I'm flying in at the end of december - Can't wait to paddle the Silverback once more! For a lot of people the Silverback is the most fun rapid on the river and it's really sad to see it go. While booking tickets I wasn't sure if the diversion will be started or not, but like many have said Silverback is just one of the many rapids on the river and there will be lot to paddle even after it is gone.

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

I've just come back from Uganda. So glad I did it before it was too late.

Regarding what rapids will go, Sliverback is the location of the dam, but the dam will surely flood upstream and cover at least some of the best rapids on the river; 50/50, Bugagali Falls, Ribcage and the Hump, Brickyard, Escape Hatch, Blade Runner, Widow maker - all might go.

In this case, in my opinion, it would be hard to justify going all the way to Uganda for what is left.

:-(
Paul (Un)Stabler

Bren o

Post by Bren o »

Hey guys, cheers for all the info,
I'm looking to go out there towards the end of january, so hopefully most of those rapids will still be there, in all honesty the main atraction for me is the playspots - and the warm weather.

Bren

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Bren o wrote:Hey guys, cheers for all the info,
I'm looking to go out there towards the end of january, so hopefully most of those rapids will still be there, in all honesty the main atraction for me is the playspots - and the warm weather.

Bren
Well, once the diversion comes in (assuming it provides the flow promised) Nile Special should be at a paddle on level, and Malalu should be working again!
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

brendan2 wrote:this guy is dangerous.
Hahaha....sorry but I need to know more about this 'danger' !?

Seriously though, in this life, in all the worlds sports, in all the events that go on and all the boundaries that we and they endeavor to push (often failing), those we lose and those we're thankful to have met and still have in our lives...you chose the word danger as your best adjective to describe someone!?

On a forum, UK and worldwide, in a thread where the majority so far have taken this copy and paste as a positive notification regardless.

What has stopped you from giving Adrian a slap for a mistake via facebook, email, txt, phone call or radically in person?

If the guy talks pish then fair play he talks pish, that's not a singular event in outdoor sports...how we deal with these different personalities is the key...IMO.

Sorry for opening my mouth but I've had enough years of two faced, spineless big fish to know that in reality silence says it all....

Mean you know harm dude, and your opinion might be justified...but speak to the problem, not to the masses...it aint cool, and I doubt it's not you.

:)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

Well said my son
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

brendan2 wrote:
justin-g wrote: Sorry I thought we were collectively morning the passing of some of the finest warmest gd 4 in the world rather than bleating on about some sort of personal vendetta... nobody cares - we are here to share the love!!
Not a personal vendetta, this guy is dangerous.
He already cost the Irish freestyle team an awful lot of money among other things with his lies, (In that case he knew Michael O'leary and had organised discount flights for the whole team)
Now he is claiming that he has paddled in countries he hasn't and giving rivers advice.

Though yes like when he shafted the freestyle team, I suspect we will not hear from him for a few weeks and the same crap will start again.
I had heard some of that story before. Not a pretty tale, if it is indeed true.

Although claiming to have paddled the Nile when you haven't is - in this instance - a fairly harmless thing, I do find it irritating. This kind of nonsense badly detracts from the credibility of UKRGB as a useful resource. Over the years there has been a very small number of prolific contributors who have regularly claimed or implied experience and knowledge that they simply don't have.

All I ask is that those people using UKRGB use the site sincerely and honestly. If you know something specific about topic, then tell people about it. If you don't know about a topic, ask people. If you 'reckon' something, that's just fine - but make it abundantly clear that this is all you are doing - sounding off with an uninformed opinion. Don't try and pass it off as experience or knowledge.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jane

Post by Jane »

Can I suggest that if anyone is interested in the current state of the Nile and the dam project that they refer back to a previous post on this thread - the article is clear, detailed and from someone who definitely has kayaked the Nile.

http://www.kayakthenile.com/news/The_Bu ... Update.pdf

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”