Stinky Cag

Inland paddling
-Ginge-

Stinky Cag

Post by -Ginge- »

I can find a definitive guide to washing dry cags. There is a 50:50 split on whether to wash them or not. And mine stinks so much now I choke when I put it on. Yeah prettty rough. Does anybody know for definate?

Cheers

Jack

SimonMW

Re: Stinky Cag

Post by SimonMW »

Don't see why they should be any different to any other piece of waterproof outdoor clothing as long as the latex seals aren't affected. I've been using a pure soap solution (pretty much the same as Nikwax but a lot cheaper!)

If the cag really does stink you might find that washing it won't get rid of the odour. Storm make a spray on deoderiser.
http://www.stormwaterproofing.com/index ... t&Itemid=9

matt_outandabout

Post by matt_outandabout »

I use Nikwax on all my (Palm and Helly) watersports stuff and never had a problem.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Handwash in warm water with unfragranced soap and a soft nailbrush, rinse in cold water and drip dry... If you want to reproof it spray on nikwax tx-direct whilst the cag is still slightly damp to the touch, and leave to dry.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

You can buy pure soap flakes in Boots. They come in a light blue box.

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

I've found just a thorough wash with cold water is a perfectly effective way of keeping it clean.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Problem is that he says the cag already stinks. That isn't going to be removed by a simple clean. Aside from the Storm product (which does work well BTW) the only thing I can think of is to sprinkle baking soda all over it inside and out (when it is dry) and leaving it for a day or two. That stuff can remove a lot of odour initially

Mission

Post by Mission »

not sure about cags with latex seals etc etc......but I soaked my booties in a vinegar solution and now there is no smell off them at all!

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- »

Mission wrote:not sure about cags with latex seals etc etc......but I soaked my booties in a vinegar solution and now there is no smell off them at all!
Do you smell like a gherkin whilst paddling though?

hannmatt92

Post by hannmatt92 »

-Ginge- wrote:
Dont worry Jack you do anyway ;). I would recommend a shower :P.

Matt.

Mission

Post by Mission »

-Ginge- wrote:
Mission wrote:not sure about cags with latex seals etc etc......but I soaked my booties in a vinegar solution and now there is no smell off them at all!
You rinse it off obviously :p
No no smell at all. Id tried everything i could think of to get the smell out, washing, fancy antibacterial wash stuff. In the end vinegar was better than the lot of them.

cj

Post by cj »

Miltons baby solution for washing nappies and the like. Steralises and destroys bacteria, that's what causes the smell.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

What an excellent forum name!

I make sure I always rinse in fresh water and dry the inside first as quickly as possible. So far no smells. I don't have any ideas on getting rid of the smell in an already smelly cag but, if you manage it, please let us know how you got on - I might need it in future.

Graham

rich gunton

Post by rich gunton »

This is excellent it means you have been boating so much that the stink has become in grained and therefore impossible to remove. Dont worry you have become a member of the well G-narly elite kayaking club. These people never wash anything, you will certainly know when you have met another member.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”