Winter escape to Mexico

Inland paddling
Woods

Winter escape to Mexico

Post by Woods »

You may have seen the photos from the states of Veracruz and San Luis Potosí in the last edition of CKUK. Self evident that I want to go back there. Water runs right through the winter into the spring (the big falls run in November into early December).

But Mexicana, that rare beast, an airline which carried kayaks, has gone bust. That leaves budget travelers with KLM with Aeromexico or Continental (the cheapest it seams). No kayak policies all round.

There is one solution ... to hire from Tom at Liquid Adventures or Antonio at Adventurec who both have good fleets of new boats. Liquid Adventures also run guided trips throughout November to March (http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... co#p500302).

But can anyone suggest another way of flying to Mexico from the UK with boats?

Bob Mckee

Re: Winter escape to Mexico

Post by Bob Mckee »

We're going to head back out there this winter.

As far as I can sign there are now no direct flights to Mexico City from the UK which will take boats. We used US Airways last time with a change in Charlotte. This option is looking pricey this time around though and you need two days for the flights alone. They are now charging £120 each way I think for boats!!!

So I think what we going to do this time is fly to Cancun with one of the charter airlines all of whom take boats and bus it up from there to Veracruz. The only problem is that it's a long journey and if you only have a couple of weeks it might make going all the way up to San Luis a bit of a pain. So it looks like we'll be missing out on San Luis this time. If you have more than two weeks it'd be worth the trip as that area is pretty unique and the paddling is awesome.

Worth noting that the bus from Mexico City to San Luis takes about 10 hours. However this is on a Mexican executive buses.......they're pretty comfy and you get a seat that basically reclines into a bed. The bus into the Veracruz areas from Mexico City is about 6-7 hours if I remember right. From Cancun to Veracruz City you're looking at 16 hours! I still reckon it's worth it.......and not too horrible on the executive class. The buses are pretty cheap too.

Veracruz has a longer season than the northern stuff but they've got a high water season this year so things are looking good. I think you'll find plenty to do including waterfalls if that's what you're after.

Aventurec are a cool company and will help you out loads. Their base is nice to hang out at and they have good facilities. Shuttles etc can be arranged through them. I don't know anything about Liquid Adventures really. I think they base out of Aventurec sometimes.

For San Luis check out these guys http://www.huaxteca.com/aventura.htm Super helpful and really a amazing place to stay. Email Ena there. She'll be able to help you out. They do shuttles etc too.

Hope this helps

Bob

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Having written all that i've seen you've been before.....so you know where is good anyway!!!

Have fun

John Kennedy

Post by John Kennedy »

Great post, Bob.
Makes me interested in going.
I beat the internet! (The last guy was hard)

tommcewan

Post by tommcewan »

Bob,

No doubt that you can get a flight linking through Houston, Atlanta, or Miami to Mexico City. It looks like the cost of round trip is about 720 euros right now.

Here is a link to some great photos of the rivers on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquidadve ... 718356498/ from the LAKS website.

LAKS provides transportation to and from the Mexico City Airport, boats, accommodations at Aventurec on the Filo Bobos and another ecological lodge called Nace de Rio on the Actopan, shuttle driver, and guidance on the river if needed.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

Has anyone had any issues with crime in Mexico while paddling, as it has an extremely bad reputation, or is this more concentrated in the cities?

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

We had absolutely no issues with crime while boating over there. Everyone we met was super friendly and a lot of people went out of their way to help us. It really is an amazing place. That's why we're going back!!! We won't be going to hang around the border areas for sure, or any cities for that matter. I would say arrive, and move on from urban areas asap.......but I always think that on any boating trip. Any big city anywhere generally will give you more hassles I suppose, but as I said above the boating areas in our experience were excellent / very friendly.

Tom, I think the main issues with getting from here have been finding airlines that will take boats. That's where you come in I suppose!!!

andy g

Post by andy g »

Although I have not paddled there, I can add some general background to the other factors in Mexico.

As others have said Mexican coaches are superb , they have very limited seats , which are all super comfy recliners, with TV screens , loos etc. They are also quite cheap considering the distances involved , BUT they again due to the distance it does take time. Some of the main bus/coach stations are incredibly crowded and that is when you should be looking out for your personal belongings. You might also need to book tickets in advance on popular routes due to the small capacity.

In the larger cities only take the licensed taxis, anything else and you are literally risking your life at worst, or being mugged at best. Not a problem if there are several of you (and Mexican taxis will take up to 9 people in a standard 4 seater (I have a photo to prove it!) but never travel alone, esp for women.

Again I can't really recommend the place enough , it is a riot of colour , noises , smells , and tastes that will live with you for a long time.

Andy

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”