Palm Neck Seals

Inland paddling
Madsalty

Palm Neck Seals

Post by Madsalty »

Hey,

Do palm neck seals come in different sizes?

The only reason i ask is after recently purchasing a drysuit i can't actually get this one over my head...Really.

James Hartley

Re: Palm Neck Seals

Post by James Hartley »

No the seal is a standard size, you are expected to stretch it over an object, and various people have suggested traffic cones, or rugby balls or flower pots etc.
Failing that, you can trim it back slighlty as they have rings on to aid in trimming
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hmm - I suspect the sizing varies a lot based on having bought an un-used Palm drycag a few years ago second-hand and found the neck seal SO tight (even after stretching and then triming) that it was unwearable. Which is probably why it was never used by its first owner.

It got eBayed and I bought the same model as a replacement - it's neck seal was fine and didn't even need trimming. Such are the benefits of buying from a proper shop where you try the garment on first.

The cag in question is an XXL size - the neck seal is marked "L" which suggests there may be M & S? (No, don't even go there!). Certainly Kokatat kit is fitted with varying sized seals according to garment size.

Mike

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Neck seals come in a range of sizes, generally not for each size, that is an L/XLK seal will go in both the L and XL garment, the same is true for the wrist seals. On a new garment, stretch the seals if required before considering cutting. If however your seal is alarmingly tight, or you can not get it over your head at all, perhaps there has been a mistake, and a S seal is on a L garment. Most seals have their sizing printed on the inside.

Dizzykayaker

Post by Dizzykayaker »

I can confirm that yes there are different sized seals available on both the neck and wrists. These can be changed for a fee, so I suggest taking it back to the shop where you bought it and they will be able to get these changed for you.

The seals normally increase in size with the size of the cag/suit.

Madsalty

Post by Madsalty »

Righto.

The drysuit in question is a Size small, and fits me fine, but i have a massive head.

I've had a small palm dry cag in the past, and yes it was tight, but i could get it over my head!

Anyways it's currently sat stretched over a Large Measuring jug.

Simon Westgarth

OK gent with large head, keep stretching.....

JackG

Post by JackG »

I am having the opposite problem...latex seals appear to be too big for me on my new palm torrent drysuit leading to rather alot of water coming into the "dry" suit

Simon Westgarth

JackG wrote:I am having the opposite problem...latex seals appear to be too big for me on my new palm torrent drysuit leading to rather alot of water coming into the "dry" suit
Again check the neck seal sizing. If you have a very thin neck, this would be a problem, you might have to consider a smaller neck seal.

freddie

Post by freddie »

I got a large size neck on my drysuit so I could get my head through easily, just do the velcro up tight ish round your neck, and it should be fine.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

kno3

Post by kno3 »

Anyone know where you can get the seals and tape+glue needed to change palm seals? The neck seal on my palm torrent is a bit worse for ware these days and the price of getting them changed by palm is a bit out of my student budget. I'm normally quite good with fiddly things like this.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

BurrsRunner

Post by BurrsRunner »

Be careful when trying to permanently stretch latex seals. A friend of mine bought a pair of Nookie trousers with latex ankle seals two weeks ago, the seals were uncomfortably tight on him so he stretched them over a can of grapefruit and left them overnight, the next morning he tried to remove them and one of the seals tore. His new and unused trousers now need a new seal, though he's considering having latex socks fitted instead.

RichA

Post by RichA »

Surely stretching a latex seal beyond it's elastic limit so that it stays at an increased size is a bad idea, no? I personally believe it is much better to cut it, around one of the reinforcing rings on the seal that I think are provided for this purpose. That way the seal will still work within is elastic limit, rather than being overstretched and plastically deforming. Just a simple view on it!

Rapid Kayaks

Post by Rapid Kayaks »

Adrian Cooper wrote:http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Drysu ... eals1.html

Other suppliers available

An excellent video showing how to do the replacement

Cheers
Jon

www.rapidkayaks.co.uk

benpilkington

Post by benpilkington »

Rapid Kayaks wrote:
Adrian Cooper wrote:http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Drysu ... eals1.html

Other suppliers available

An excellent video showing how to do the replacement

Cheers
Jon

http://www.rapidkayaks.co.uk
Thanks to both of you. I'm basically just posting here so I can save these two links for an upcoming repair I need to do.
B

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

That video made it look quite easy to get any air bubbles out, when using aquaseal. Is it the same with Bostik? I was led to believe that once the two parts touched, you'd had it.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

eeonz wrote:That video made it look quite easy to get any air bubbles out, when using aquaseal. Is it the same with Bostik? I was led to believe that once the two parts touched, you'd had it.
Yes, with bostik the bond is pretty much instant, and the glue will be stronger than the seal (indeed, it's often stronger than neoprene when used to make edge joints); this said, if you have a good tight fitting form it's easy enough to do it first time without bubbles*.

Its even easier if you use a disk and ring form, IR have a very detailed video on using these here [though I would personally opt to cut the old seal off flush with the fabric rather than peel it as most manufacturers heat tape round the original gasket once it's attached] (they do sell those forms, but it's easy enough to make your own with some cardboard, a pencil, string and scissors).

*As Bostik 2042 should be applied in a thin layer to both surfaces and left to go tacky before being pushed together it's not actually bubbles, but wrinkles which you need to prevent.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

RichA wrote:Surely stretching a latex seal beyond it's elastic limit so that it stays at an increased size is a bad idea, no? I personally believe it is much better to cut it, around one of the reinforcing rings on the seal that I think are provided for this purpose. That way the seal will still work within is elastic limit, rather than being overstretched and plastically deforming. Just a simple view on it!
This is exactly the advice I've been given each time I've sought the opinion of drysuit manufacturers on the subject.
Still -- the stretch first method obviously works too for the majority of people who try it judging by the number of people who suggest it each time this subject comes up on a thread.
Giles

juliemaragh

Re: Palm Neck Seals - Apparel Information

Post by juliemaragh »

Hi

If you have not already seen this web page 'Apparel Information' on the Palm website it has useful information about latex seals as well as some other great information about the general care of the fabrics etc.

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/gear ... l_Info.pdf

I hope this helps.

Julie

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”