Magnum 72 or Magnum 80?

Inland paddling
Simon swansea

Magnum 72 or Magnum 80?

Post by Simon swansea »

Hi there,
I’m trying to decide on which of the new magnums to buy, do I go with the 72 or do I go for the 80?

I did have a magnum 72 for years and know how it paddles and it was a great boat, however I just want to know off the people that have paddled both of them if there is any real difference in the way the boats handle.

I know the extra volume will affect it a bit but if the magnum 80 has the same effortless feeling when paddling it as the 72 I could be tempted to go BIG.

I’m 6’0” tall and weigh about 80kg and just wanted to know what peoples opinions are on the big magnum.

Cheers

And before someone says “you need to go demo”, I plan to but it involves a very long drive to find one to demo so I just wanted to know if its worth the drive to try one out or should I just get another 72?

banzer

Re: Magnum 72 or Magnum 80?

Post by banzer »

I'm the same size and weight as you and have paddled the 72 for four years. I haven't paddled the 80.

For small steep creeking and for walk-ins, the 72 is the bomb. When the water gets burlier and the holes stickier, I would go for the 80, it has a lot more volume in the tail to carry you through that of thing. I don't know about you but I sometimes get tail-endered, eg. the top drop of the Moriston, when everyone in their (boring generic) Nomad 8.5s carry straight through.

I'll be tempted to buy an 80 in a couple of months when I have the cash.

Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Simon swansea

Post by Simon swansea »

I know what you mean about a bit more hole punching power but it’s very rare that the 72 didn’t come through for me, but there is the odd occasion.

However I’m wondering if having that bit more hole punch power will come at a cost and the 80 won’t do everything else as well as the 72, I mean most of the time the boat is great and if the magnum 80 does everything else as well as the 72 that would be great.

Is there anyone out there that has paddled both to make a compassion?

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I have actually demoed both. And rather did like the 72, didn't get on so well with the 80, but that was as much to do with the fact I was rattling round in it, and was far too large for me. ( I am only 5' 7" and about 10 1/2 stone) I couldn't get the boat to perform for me, and I couldn't get the trim right, I put this down more to me and not the boat though. If you are a larger size, I would imagine it should be fine
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I think there is a review on playak from somone who paddled both and loved the 80. If i remember rightly he paddled it on quite pushy water too when he demos. Its worth looking up because it was very detailed and he may be about your size. (was a while ago I read it so im sorry i cant be more help)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”