The Divvy

Inland paddling
James Hartley

The Divvy

Post by James Hartley »

Last night was reminiscing of a trip to Scotland, where we ran the Divvy ( findhorn trib ) and had one of the most memorable trips out ever, we suspect it was a high level, but anyone got any pictures or the like for it, couldn't find a guide on here of it
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

SwamP

Re: The Divvy

Post by SwamP »

I’ve never done it and my brother has just bought a bar/hotel/restaurant up there.

Would you mind putting down some words to describe it so I can check it out in November when I’m boating again mate? If not no worries, just thought I’d ask :o)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

It's in the guidebook, Ryan.

I ran it once a few years ago when the Findhorn gorge was at a sporting level (no rocks visible at Randolph's Leap). Get on at the other road above the railway (around here) and get out at Randolph's Leap.

It's a cracking little adventure, nothing serious apart from the Falls of GNARR (someone will probably be along with the proper name shortly!). It's quite a continuous burn and I remember we had to keep getting someone to jump out to check we weren't about to end up running them by accident. They would probably go easily at a level which isn't the one you've bothered getting on the rest of the run for.

If I remember rightly, I think the man legend Eoghain might have popped his shoulder on it, no? (Either that or I'm making it up).

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Hi, I have run it twice in the past at two different levels. The first time it was on the low side and made a great trip with the falls being a version of baby teacups, no problem but enough to keep your interest, it goes through a stately home garden, which is a little different. The second time I ran this was about 8 years ago when the Findhorn was running very high, this made the trip quite exciting with something round each corner, nothing was that tough except the falls, which we did not run, the last of three falls has quite a stopper at the bottom. We did not have any problem getting out in time, but it did mean you were in and out your boat time and time again.
It is well worth running, but much more fun if their has been plenty of rain, the gauge in the guidebook is on the money, so follow it.

Colin

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Dave McCraw wrote:It's in the guidebook, Ryan.
I don't have one, well I do but I never know where it is...hence getting to Paul Doo falls before Biggin or Marv told me about any G5's on the Nevis (hence my extreme fear of it)....

Cheers for the tips and run down all, and your PM James, very informative!

So basically it has something you wanna watch out for, has lots of other stuff you might wanna look at depending on the group and it's of enough fun that you'll have a Tilt-ish, Kinglas-ish time on it whilst also being able to run some of the superb upper upper sections of the Findhorn earlier in the day to warm up for it. Cool! Should make for an enjoyable time whenst visit my nephews in Carrbridge...that's right, whenst...

James, I'll get some photos when I'm up there for you. Couldn't find anything on google either.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

Cheers Ryan, we did have some footage, but lost the camera!!
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

I just remembered a friend who was not paddling took a couple of photos at the first rapid near the start, so I will see if he still has them, and it will give you an idea of levels.

Colin

LSmith4285

Post by LSmith4285 »

I'm sure I have been told the three tier fall is man made to allow fish to go further upstream. I've been told there is a lot of metal as part of the structure so it should be aprroached with caution.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

It's the Divie & only in the 2nd edition of the guidebook.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

tfraser

Post by tfraser »

The trees can turn a 3 ,3plus run to a very dodgy treecity,but a gooed flood can clear it out but watch the trees.

Joe Pineapples

Post by Joe Pineapples »

We ran it one time after doing the Findhorn Gorge when there was no Randolphs leap :-) , it was very good , worth a run in it's own right ... But makes a great second run to a findhorn trip
Live your dreams , do not dream your life ......

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

Check out the pic at the bottom of this page http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceadventure/page94/
Nick Mawer

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die »

I'm driving up there tomorrow, will try and remember the camera and take a few pics of the beginning. Looks good when enough water in it.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Here are a photo that will give you an idea of the level. This is the first rapid you come to near the start.

Hope it helps
Colin

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

James here are the photos you asked for.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy18 ... rDivie.jpg[/img]

This one is the lead in to the first rapid and between the two photos the first being in the other post, is a 4ft fall.

Near the start

This bridge is just after you get on so should give the level well.

Cheers
Colin

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

Thank you kindly, does look a little lower than when we did it !!
Feed the rat

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Looks like you weren't far off big water Colin, judging by the highwater mark.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”