Shoulder dislocations whilst canoeing

Inland paddling
sandra

Shoulder dislocations whilst canoeing

Post by sandra »

Hi,
Purely out of curiosity...I have a number of friends who've dislocated their shoulders whilst kayaking, but as yet have not heard of anyone doing it whilst canoeing. I'm fairly sure this might have something to do with me knowing only a small number of canoeists, but would be interested to know if the incident rate was as high for canoeing (C1, C2, OC1, open boating, etc.) as it is for kayaking.
If it is much less common is canoeing a more viable option for those who's injuries make whitewater kayaking a practical impossibility?
Cheers,
Sandra
THE BEST JOB EVER!
www.worldclassacademy.com/

davebrads

Re: Shoulder dislocations whilst canoeing

Post by davebrads »

I tend to agree with your observation. I know of only one dislocation in a canoe, and that was in a slalom C2. The difficulty of getting a good comparison is that in slalom at least, kayakers outnumber canoeists by a ratio of about 10:1, and in general whitewater or playboating the ratio is probably much higher.

I do have a theory though: C1 paddlers fall in so often on their off side that they get used to it, while some kayakers can go long periods without a capsize and then do desperate braces when it actually happens.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Canoeing encourages the use of the low brace, which is a starter for ten in reduced number of dislocations, combine this with a much smaller field of paddlers, it's bound to be less common. I'm lead to believe that shoulder impingements are much more common for canoeists though.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Mission

Post by Mission »

I am normally a C1 paddler, first day back in a kayak in a year (back in march) I dislocated my shoulder.
Only actually know 1 C1 paddler who dislocated a shoulder while paddling C1. It does encourage much lower, much more stable strokes and I know certainly in my case my C1 roll (Backdeck) is far more stable than my kayak one.

To this day, kayaking hurts my shoulder. Canoeing dosent at all as long as I paddle on the same side as the dislocation, however if I swap hands it is absolute torture.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

Quite aside from the different activities... there were 4 single-blades at the WWPF out of 300 paddlers. So you'd expect to know about 75 kayakers with popped shoulders before you met a canoeist with one..?

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

Canoeing encourages the use of the low brace, which is a starter for ten in reduced number of dislocations, combine this with a much smaller field of paddlers, it's bound to be less common. I'm lead to believe that shoulder impingements are much more common for canoeists though.
Got to agree with this. I'm pretty sure it was canoeing that kicked off impingement in my shoulder. No sure why though - as the action is pretty similar.

As for the low brace...I think all paddlers should be made to read the William Neally chapter on the subject as a precautionary measure!
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”