Washing your gear

Inland paddling
tomrose

Washing your gear

Post by tomrose »

Hey guys,

Just wondering other than throwing your gear into a big bucket and hand washing it does anyone else have different methods? Trying to get rid of the "river smell" basically but no luck. I suppose throwing it into the washing machine isn't the best idea?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

TheKrikkitWars

Re: Washing your gear

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Neoprene gear can go in on a rinse and spin cycle... I wouldn't reccomend putting breathable membrane gear in the washing machine though.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

tomrose

Post by tomrose »

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Would you put a cag into the washing machine? It's only got the rubber seals around the wrists. I presume a cold wash as it might shrink in the hot wash or even damage the seals. Would you throw in a bit of fairy liquid or only water? :P

DAB

Post by DAB »

I wash my kit in the bath then hang it up on the washing line i have rigged over the bath to catch the drips. I use cold water no soap.

tomrose

Post by tomrose »

Nice one.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

ianletton

Post by ianletton »

Hi,

I threw my Palm cag and Nookie trousers in the washing machine last night.

Cold wash, low spin cycle with some of this stuff: http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... roductid=4

Cleans the gear, re-waterproofs it and makes it smell nice and fresh.

I do this every 6 months or so and also do it with my gore-tex drysuit and ski jackets and anything else waterproof.

Works a treat and never has my kit been damaged.

Ian
IanLetton

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

I understand that standard domestic washing powder is a no-no for any breathable material - the additives (softeners, scent, etc.) play havoc with it.

You used to be able to buy a generic box of bog standard zero-additive soap flakes in the shops (for less than all the branded stuff), but I haven't seen it for years. So much for "more choice"! These days you have to buy branded pseudo-technical stuff that's even more expensive than the 'TV boxes' - another of life's little rip-offs...! I try to buy in bulk and do all my various bits of outdoor gear once or twice a year.

I find that the 2-pot stuff (wash, then proof) like Graingers works better than the all-in-one bottle wash & proof stuff from the likes of Nikwax, but any 'tech wash' stuff will do the job, provided you RTFI. Recommend you remove & clean out the machine's soap drawer beforehand. If you're really paranoid, run your (empty) machine through a hot rinse cycle too.

I've always done a hot wash followed by a hot tumble dry (hot water cleans better, and heat is usually needed to 'fix' the reproofer anyway) and never worried about the seals or seams melting. But then my drytop is Kokatat - certainly these have the best seams, perhaps better quality latex too?
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

Thermals, Neo shorts etc go in washing machine with some non-bio on cold wash.

BA Cag Helmet etc dunked in bath for a rinse. Boots last when everything else come out.

The care label on my IR cag says it is machine washable... Never had a problem with the latex when it's been in the machine.
Ben

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

Little bit of fairy liquid for the spraydeck, shoes, socks and BA. I wouldn't do that with my cag and trousers, however; I just hose that down gently.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

I rinse my gear with the garden hose and leave to drip dry outside. My wet suit boots smell like a tom cat pissed in them but every thing else is ok!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Washing gear? Isn't that why we all swim from time to time. It's always my standard excuse.
"I was gonna roll, but my rear's getting a bit wiffy" Then you rinse your booties with some nice sterilizing beer and you are good to go for a year or two.

Edit: I just noticed my "Gear" typo, but it's way better left as is!
dave

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

I use the showers at the tryweren, shower in full kit first , then change and shower my self

Dave
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Leaving your kit festering in a dry bag is the biggest no-no if you want to keep things smelling reasonably fresh.

My thermals + neoprene shorts get washed in the machine, everything else gets rinsed in cold water and left to drip dry. I do this ASAP when getting home and things don#t smell tooooo bad*

Mike.

*we're taking paddling kit here, so it's all relative!

harveykayak10

Post by harveykayak10 »

I put all my kit in the washing machine every month APART from my cag. Never had a problem.

John N

Post by John N »

All soft fabrics (neoprene [inc. boots]& thermals) in the washing machine. Rinse cycle with a little fabric conditioner or delicates programme with woolite or something similar. If the boots are really bad stand them in a weak solution of ZOFLORA disinfectant, increasing the strength until the pong dies then don't let them get that way again.
I'm not one for flowery smelling changing rooms in the canoe club but I think I prefer it to heaving when some of the kids take kit out of one those backpack / drybag jobs that have been tightly sealed all week!

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

Not washing your gear - especially outer layer breathables - is a sure fire way to prematurely wear it out. Buy quality, buy once, and look after it FFS. It's more cost effective, and more environmentally responsible (we do enough driving for our fun, at least try to balance it out a bit!).

The 'Primark attitude' belongs to the great unwashed (see what I did there?) ; ].
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown »

Not that I would advise anyone else to but I wash everything (except my dry-suit and helmet) in the washing machine.
Back in the late 80s I started putting wetsuits in – surfing 4/5 time per week it was the only way to get them dry and smelling fresh and they all out lasted my mates kit that got at best a rinse. My faithful Sola semi dry is still going strong 19 years old and with a good 10 years of weekly washing.
Kayaking kit all goes in- Canyoneers, deck (does feel a bit tight afterwards!) cag (well it didn’t breath well from the factory so who cares) along with a drop of, wait for it, Bio at 25C. BA goes in occasionally – still floats. Canyoneers look like new but a bit noisy in washing machine. If only there was a care label on the Rocker…..

Dry-suit goes into the bath with again some Bio along with a squirt of DWR every few weeks.

Kit looks good, gets out all that nasty abrasive river grit and just like the TV ad people keep hugging me – have to get a new washing machine every 6 months though.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

Would it be worth hand washing with tech wash? I just can't bring myself to put my cag in the washing machine...
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I've had my Yak deck for over 15 years and it's still going strong. I've never washed it in the machine though.
Here's what Yak recommend for care on their website...

To prolong the operational lifetime of your garment, the following instructions should be followed. Failure to comply with these Instructions could result in damage to the garment.

DO

Rinse the garment naturally in warm water after use, hang it upside down and allow to dry naturally
Store the garment in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight (UV light)

DO NOT
Clean your garment in a washing machine or tumble dry
Clean with any solvents or abrasive cloths. This can cause the material to "breakdown" and render the garment useless
Store the garment in direct sunlight, compressed or on copper pipes
Taking special care of Latex seals

To ensure that you get the best performance from your Latex seals, these instructions should be followed:

Towel dry the Latex seals and sprinkle lightly with talcum powder
Ensure the Latex seals are stored in a cool dry place and are not compressed or in direct sunlight (UV light)
Do not use washing detergents on the seals. This can cause them to deteriorate and will eventually lead to them needing to be replaced.
dave

willbailey

Post by willbailey »

every few months it goes in the washing machine especially i it's grubby using soda crystals on a wool wash and the lowest spin possible the on the line for nature to take it's course then every few months it gets a nickwash ....seems fine to me

Strad

Post by Strad »

wettie (/ anything neoprene) either goes through the machine or gets hand washed in the bath. cags get hand washed and the occasional run through the machine with same nikwax as Ian linked.

I agree that one of the most important things is drying the kit before storage
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”