Moriston !!

Inland paddling
Dave @ TRC

Moriston !!

Post by Dave @ TRC »

In the wet west post, some posters were saying we should put the morriston on the saturday (witch I agree) While others say they need a warm up ? Should Paddlers be paddling the moriston if they need a warm up , or should they be paddling somthing else for the day ?
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

Dave McCraw

Re: Moriston !!

Post by Dave McCraw »

(Without my WWPF hat on) we could flip reverse this question and ask, are people who are willing to drop in after a summer off the water posing a risk to others and a danger to the event?

Perhaps the way forwards is actually to require a 5* or coach level 5 permission form before paddling (aka the Etive River Race) - or maybe we could make the event invite-only based on whether a paddler kept their head dry at the previous year's event?

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

But in all seriousness the Garry is never going to be a warm up for the Morriston.

Having the Morriston on the Sunday is a logistical nightmare for anyone driving a decent distance to the event.

I like the Morriston it's tres good.
White water "rider"

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

But can the Garry be considered a warm up to the morriston ? and are people getting on the morriston aware of how big it is, with groups bringing up freshers and throwing them down the first fall and laughing at the carnage no line skills and just hit and miss right down the middle still full of beer from the night before , like they do on the etive. the books do say what the grades are and offers alternatives for the day grade 4 boaters will paddle other rivers whether the Garry is on the saturday or the sunday

I love this event, I tell everyone I know to get there paddlers or not just for the party and the crack . Its a really great window in to the sport

DAve
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

I agree Morriston on Saturday as anyone like myself living South of the boarder its a extra 3 hours added onto my 7 hour trip home.

On Sunday We went and did the Allt a Chaoruinn instead on quite high levels (left line of pinball was going) which was awesome and that was the cream on the cake for our trip.

Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Dave @ TRC wrote:are people getting on the morriston aware of how big it is, with groups bringing up freshers and throwing them down the first fall and laughing at the carnage no line skills and just hit and miss right down the middle still full of beer from the night before , like they do on the etive. the books do say what the grades are and offers alternatives for the day grade 4 boaters will paddle other rivers whether the Garry is on the saturday or the sunday
I don't think that happened anywhere near as much this year, what I did see however was at least one (maybe several?) clued up club(s) (I kindof assumed they were the scots uni's) who got their freshers all sorted out, dropped them at the takeout for the upper, did a couple of runs whilst the freshers enjoyed the view of the "carnage corridor" then took them down the middle so that their less experienced boaters still got a day on the water.

Talking to people in the carpark it was suggested that if a slightly larger release could be secured (which would make the top drop easier too) the the middle would be less scrapy and a really good addition, The only rub there is that it may mean additional stress on the shuttles, which might mean a need for more volunteer drivers (I'm sure the organisers would be able to tell us how feasible that idea is).

Anyway, hats off to the people who had the idea of using the middle to allow even more people to enjoy the Mighty (and Meek) Morriston!

Edit: I have no strong feeling either way on the date issue, as I personally feel that the Morriston is just too good to miss, though I can understand the people who find the drive just too far after the Morriston (remembering that it's a lot more physically demanding to paddle, even given that it's only 13 miles further away).
Last year we stayed over the sunday night, and had a drive back (with paddling stop) on the monday, which was infinitely less draining. Though of course that meant the people in our group with jobs had to book an extra day of leave :(
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy »

Last time I went was 2007 and the Moriston was on a Saturday. Part of the reason I haven't been since is the shift to moriston on Sunday. It was easier for me to get Friday off work to get up, to do the moriston justice I'd want a day and it leaves me knackered, a couple of runs on the Garry the next day is lunch time and an easy drive back. The other way round and I get bored with a whole day on the Garry or go elsewhere and then don't have time to paddle the moriston and make the 7-8 hour drive back so don't paddle that properly either.

Chris

Mikey joe

Post by Mikey joe »

Dave McCraw wrote: Perhaps the way forwards is actually to require a 5* or coach level 5 permission form before paddling (aka the Etive River Race) - or maybe we could make the event invite-only based on whether a paddler kept their head dry at the previous year's event?
I think this is a poor idea. I'm hoping it was in jest. But the thought of making what used to be known as the Andy Jackson weekend an invite only is terrible.

As I said maybe the poster was typing tongue in cheek! If so sorry for not picking it up!

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

I agree with Mikey. I have no interest in acquiring a 5* 'permission slip'. It's Health & Safety gone maaad it is! Personal responsibility FFS. Though I can understand why it might be needed for the ERR to avoid making a mockery (and a very long day) of the whole thing.

As for 'invite only': please.

The Moriston rocked. Sunday suited me just fine. Just took Monday & Tuesday off and made my way home via the Nevis, Etive & Alt a' Chaoruinn! Booooom. Given rain and good timing, Scotland kicks hhharse!
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

Jim

Post by Jim »

I think Dave's sarcasm has been misinterpreted - predictable, but amusing all the same.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Jim wrote:I think Dave's sarcasm has been misinterpreted - predictable
Really?
I mean that was amongs the most sarcastic comments I've ever seen, It borders on complete lunacy...

Joshua Kelly

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

Good sarcasm & irony kinda needs vocal intonation to be easily recognised - always hard on the internet...!

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

I was being completely deadpan. No, really.

Well OK, perhaps we could accept a permission note from a level 4 coach with advanced water endorsement instead of a level 5 (or whatever it is these days!)

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Dave McCraw wrote:Well OK, perhaps we could accept a permission note from a level 4 coach with advanced water endorsement instead of a level 5 (or whatever it is these days!)
Will a note from my Mum do instead?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

Jim, I hope you appreciate how I have resisted making any number of magnificent "your mum" jokes.

Speaking of magnificent...

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

Your Mama thought a stern brace was some sort of S&M device.

filo

Post by filo »

Whats all this warm up and 5* cert stuff all about?
Having the morriston on the Saturday rather than Sunday is a good idea, if you have been to the wwpf party the night before and a 8 hour drive when you finish then the Moriston is just not apealing.
Whats with the need for a warm up paddle the day before? Do people not paddle through summer or is there an official season that starts at wet west weekend and peeps are paddle rusty? I dont set out on a wet Sunday to paddle some big Welsh river and stop at the Dee to have a warm up because Ive not paddled for a week or two.
If you cant read the guide on the Morriston and check out a few sections and make your own mind up as to wether YOUR capable then dont run it simple as, the wwpf booklet and webpage have alternative rivers listed if you cant be bothered to buy a Scottish ww river book.

Dave.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

Anyone who feel they need a warm up paddle come up a day early and do the Etive. Lots of people do that. I can understand the days being swapped around. Logistics must be a nightmare for further traveled boaters.
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

pkmike

Post by pkmike »

I have not paddled the Moriston but would love to next year..... only if it is on a Saturday. The party is one of the highlights for me and Sunday morning is never going to be great paddling any river with a storming hangover and a 1 1/2 hour drive north and a 7 hour drive south. That was never going to happen this year after the party so it had to be directly south especially being the only driver and many others are faced with the same scenario.

The Etive is our warm up and great fun and I would love the Moriston to be on a Saturday next year as I'd be able to paddle it and the party after would be even better with lots to talk about. Paddling the Garry on Sunday means it's not quite as far and a quicker paddle.

As for showing 5* certs or whatever that aint going to happen. That's one thing I'd never pay for.

Great idea to have the Moriston on a Saturday and I'm sure the majority of paddlers think the same.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

George Mcmillan wrote:Anyone who feel they need a warm up paddle come up a day early and do the Etive. Lots of people do that. I can understand the days being swapped around. Logistics must be a nightmare for further traveled boaters.
At the end of the day though, the main reason it's not on the Sunday is because that causes a logistical nightmare for the village and organisers instead. It might only take one complaint from the hotel, cafe and village shop owners that they've lost a lot of trade to kill the release as far as SEPA is concerned (I don't know, and don't want to find out).

This year we actually had to put people down there full time (who might otherwise have been enjoying the water themselves), and tape off turning for the buses, and people still managed even to use up the disabled parking because they're too selfish to wait 10 minutes to be chauffeured down. I know there was at least one complaint made in person by one of the locals during the afternoon.

PS. I don't know where this 5* idea came from. Honestly! The 5* is a leadership award, not a personal proficiency one. If anything, a better way of controlling the event would be to have some way of barring people based on car registrations found blocking the village...

NRB

Post by NRB »

PS. I don't know where this 5* idea came from. Honestly! The 5* is a leadership award, not a personal proficiency one. If anything, a better way of controlling the event would be to have some way of barring people based on car registrations found blocking the village...
I agree. Look, your always going to get someone doing what they please, turning their nose up at the request of the organisers/majority. It just seems a shame that the minority that show this selfish attitude may potentially ruin a good spirited event for all who attend.

P.S I loved the late release. Sober!

Nath.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I must say a lot of people seem to be quite blinkered about this, year after year, we hear "swap the days around" and it's explained that it causes chaos for the villagers (whose support the organisers need). Whilst it's unpleasant to say it, the personal convenience of some attendees is not worth risking the support of the invermorriston villagers and SEPA, lack of which could kill the event.

Joshua Kelly

Jim

Post by Jim »

Dave McCraw wrote:PS. I don't know where this 5* idea came from. Honestly! The 5* is a leadership award, not a personal proficiency one.
Just imagine the implications if everyone on the river was a certified leader - there would be no-one to actually take a lead!

Sorry, I'm in a funny mood this evening....

sandra

Post by sandra »

If everyone moved to Scotland it wouldn't be such a long drive home and the joys of the moriston could be appreciated on a more frequent basis :-) everyone knows there're no good rivers down south!
THE BEST JOB EVER!
www.worldclassacademy.com/

Joe Pineapples

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Wow .....

A team is as strong as its weakest member , hence unless you want to exclude the weaker paddlers who may want/need a pre-Moriston warm up , then Saturday on the Gary is the only reliable solution .
Couple that with the fact that the disruption to the villagers in Invermoriston must be minimal or you will not have a Moriston release , then there really is NO debate ..
Live your dreams , do not dream your life ......

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

Haven't been for couple of years due to work and family commitments! But my take on it is this. If you think you are not fit to paddle the moriston in between a big drinking session and a 8 hour drive then either cut down on the drinking or take an extra day to travel home. It is a 2 day event organised to get loads of folk on the water. Nobody is forcing you to drink gallons of beer and nobody is forcing you to drive home straight from the river. I am personally not up to running the moriston no matter what. So the years I have been down I took photos or went home early.

Bitter that I didnt get yet again yup damm right I am.

Another observation I have made is this, it is the second year in a row that the WWPF has clashed with the SCA Surf Championships. Is that not bad planning?? Or is it deliberate to keep river paddlers and surf kayakers apart??

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

That is, quite honestly, the first time I've even heard of the SCA Surf Championships...

Ours is set by the dam releases, presumably they can have it whenever?

You're right though - two years running is starting to look a bit embarrassing (although I'm not sure how much crossover there would be between participants anyway?)

Welshkate

Post by Welshkate »

sandra wrote:If everyone moved to Scotland it wouldn't be such a long drive home and the joys of the moriston could be appreciated on a more frequent basis :-) everyone knows there're no good rivers down south!
Well...South Wales is pretty good :-) I'd love to be up in Scotland- i've commuted from Southampton to Scotland two septembers in a row for some decent boating due to lack of rain down south this time of year. 1400 miles RT, but soooo worth it.

-Kate

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer »

I've driven up from Glasgow, a few times, after school finishes @4, run the upper & lower,had (soft) drinks in the pub, driven home & worked the following day! Actually quite a refreshing experience!
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”