Dee (Scottish) ??

Inland paddling
Scots_Charles_River

Dee (Scottish) ??

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Just read the guide on here and I have all the SCA guides.

Sounds like the flow should be good, no flat sections ?

Did the Spey last Oct, 2 and half days from Kingussie to Spey Bay. Looking at same time for the Dee.

Nick

LSmith4285

Re: Dee (Scottish) ??

Post by LSmith4285 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Nick

I started a source to sea paddle on the Dee a few years ago in low water and there seemed a never ending seciton of flat after some fun little drops just after the Linn. We aimed to stay at Abyone by splitting the trip into two days but it was a long two days for those who comepleted it.

Royal Deeside is a beautiful part of the world so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Stonehaven Canoe Club usually run the source to sea in spring to if your looking for some company then give them a shout.

Lyle

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am

Dee is similar but not the same as the Spey in difficulty. But better scenery, and more variety.[I'm from Aberdeen, and so perhaps biassed ...]

The harder sections are significantly harder than anything on the Spey. I't take beginners down all of the Spey, but there's a few bits of the Dee not suitable for beginners.

Go for it!

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm

We are not beginners, really wanting to know the flow for gauging the time/days. We did the Spey dawn to dusk wild camping nor probs. 6hrs paddling the 2nd day.

Nick

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 am

Wan't suggesting you might be beginners - just trying to say that the Dee has some rapids more significant (and more fun) than those on the Spey.

Can't help you with times. All my recent experience has been taking groups down section my section.

Scottish Canoe Touring has a long description, but you'll have read that

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Nick

Check the SEPA web site there are two guages for the Dee, upper guage is at Polhollick up by Balmoral, lower is down at Park close to Drumoak.

It is practical to cover Linn of Dee to Aberdeen in two days but progress will be subject to flows and you ability.

Upper section down towards Potarch and only really a few rapids of concern:
Invercauld - in low water a fairly bumpy run but at worst Grade 3
Dinnet - classed as 3 but relatively straightforward wave train, just watch out for the big boulder mid-stream
Potarch - agains a fairly straight forward rapid, classed as up to 3 but watch out for swirly boils in the eddies below the fall.

Next section (Potarch-Banchory) is the principal white water section, watch out for the rapids at Cairnton and Invercannie, Cairnton is actually the harder as it can drop into a rock garden mid rapid in lower water. Invercannie produces the bigger wave train.
Banchory - Aberdeen - back to more sedate class 2.

Not really source to sea, as
source - somewhere high in the highland above the Linn (normal practical pint of navigation)
sea - you need to get approval from the Harbour Board to pass through the harbour and out to sea

Times -with Polhollick showing circa 1m + should be comfortable for 2 days, between .5 and 1m the flatter sections and shallow rapids may drag. Still practical in 2 days but you may need to work. With Polhollick up about 2m + then it could be a skelp but you would need to be comfortable in fairly fast moving bouncy water.

Back in the day (late 70's/early 80's) we used to take it as a one day winter spate run. Getting in at the Linn in the gloaming as the sun rose (circa 07-08:00), finishing off through Aberdeen with the street lights of Riverside Drive around 5-6pm, paddling WWR boats.

I have an article we published by one of our Club paddlers from a solo open boat run a few years back I can send if you give me your email. Beware in wnter the last involvement we had included a requirement to support Mountain Rescue and Ambulance services to pull a couple of guys out in a freezing December run. Putting on a frozen wet suit after a cold night under canvas may lead to Hypothermia.......

Regards

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm

The Dee needs much more water than the Spey to be enjoyable. We did it last year when it was just off flood levels and it was fine, but I wouldn't have fancied it at lower levels.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Robert Craig wrote:Wan't suggesting you might be beginners - just trying to say that the Dee has some rapids more significant (and more fun) than those on the Spey.

Can't help you with times. All my recent experience has been taking groups down section my section.

Scottish Canoe Touring has a long description, but you'll have read that
No, wasn't meant like that, sorry. Just setting the scene.

My Bro. only has 2-3 days whereas I have the week, hence the rush. We don't mind dawn to dusk long days. We chomp home made flapjacks and tea flasks........

Luckily we have retired parents who caravan, so we have the luxury of them doing all the shuttles and the caravan the night before and at the end of the trips.

Thanks for the info.

Nick

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 am

Let us know how it goes - particularly time

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm

Cheers, last year my brother GPSed it.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, trip went well. 0.65m at the SEP/Polhollick Gauge, Braemar Castle put in at 10.30am on Saturday. Invercauld, great tricky rapid, very narrow drop at the end of the rapid, probably 6-8ft wide. Bit scrapey thru to Balmoral -the Queen was in - but not scrapey after Dinnet. 5.40pm stopped for the night opposite Dinnet house, could not see it. Wild camped just off the water. Salmon leaping till dusk then at dawn. Dippers everywhere.

Left 8.30am and did Dinnet Rapid, easier line than Invercauld but big standing waves. Then on thru Invercannie etc. Wave train/haystacks swamped wee bro. Aberdeen Uni club found his paddle at Cairnton, thnaks guys.

Big wave strians were great fun on the Dinnet to Banchory stretch.

We stopped at Banchory at 2pm. Then to the parents caravan at the site there. We finished there as we were so happey after grt flow over the two days and barely any falt paddling which mad it totally different from the Spey. Whihc only had current from Blacksboat down to the sea.

We only stopped on the bank for pee stops (brother had a wetsuit on). Just flapjacked/choclate sqr snacked, no lunch hr stops etc.

We thoroughly recommend the trip in loaded opens solo. We both had Old Town Charles rivers. The second or third standing waves, even taken straight on, caused a lot of water to enter which was baled as we paddled on, using cut down 4 pint milk containers.

The white river gauges had graduations about a foot but possibly not. They were mainly just under 2. Graduation scale ??

Amazing to ave salmon jumping every few minutes the whole way.

Invercauld was the hardest rapid due to the narrow nature of the gap at the last drop. Narrower than Grandtully.

We Inspected Invercauld, Dinnet and stood up to Inpsect Invercannie and Cairnton. All th grd 3s and 2-3s. Kept saying to my brother the wave trains will always be deeper than you think, even the grd 2s.

Will post photos soon.

Thanks for all the info from you guys.

Nick

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your paddle, you have Cairnton and Invercannie mixed up though btw.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 pm

The first one was slighty left handed and had evenly spaced eddies river right and more rocks, second one was a straight wave train with a big eddie river right t the end. AUCC were practice swimming the second one.

Nick

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Aye, 'twas Invercannie we were swimming down.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”