I need everyones help please!

Inland paddling
chapperz

I need everyones help please!

Post by chapperz »

Used to be a member here years ago but couldn't for the life of me remember my username! I'm just after a little help from the paddling community really.

I start back at Uni in a few weeks time and need some brain motivation for an upcoming project. I'm studying Product Design and the coming year is solely one project, so I need to get this right!

What I need from you guys is simply any problems you encounter in day to day life. Whether it's problems you have with kayaking, problems you have when cooking, problems you encounter with another hobby, the problems of any elderly people you might know of, or those with young children. Literally anything in life where you've said to yourself "there must be an easier way to do this".

Ideally I'd love to do a kayak oriented product, which is why I've come to you guys! Let me know of any problems you've encountered when out on the water.

banzer

Re: I need everyones help please!

Post by banzer »

Can you be more specific? Surely you don't want to hear, "I got a bad line, hit the rock, couldn't roll and swam"? 'Cos that accounts for many of the 'problems' in kayaking. How about "I can do two ends but never have enough momentum for the third"? Don't really sound like uni projects to me??
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Strad

Post by Strad »

my first thought was can you find a way to remove all caravans from the road when I'm trying to drive to a river....
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

chapperz

Post by chapperz »

I guess that wasnt particularly clear was it. The general idea is to solve a problem through designing a new product.

There obviously isn't a product that can prevent you from swimming, but there could be for say...
Transportation issues - on the car, from car to river, transporting gear from drop-in to get-out points.
Problems any less able bodied kayakers might have getting in and out of boats.
The public-car park clothing change problem.
Kayak security.

Just anything you guys might have had problems with that could be solved or improved with a product. Or any bits of gear you think don't work as well as they should, and could be improved.

Halox

Post by Halox »

What about some kind of device to give a pinned kayaker some more time in that situation? It could also be implemented in other water sports. Being into Engineering design myself. Even if it saved one persons life it would be worthwhile. I have a few ideas but I will leave you with that. If you need any other info let me know.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

I have a brilliant idea for a product that will help loads of people, but I'm not telling you so that you can go out there and make a bazillion pounds off my idea.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Hey Peakfreak, I had the same brilliant idea. But I had it first.
dave

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Dave & Bren, I have bad news for you, I also had that amazing idea, but the Uni's helping me patent it... Too late!
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

North American market too?

Anyhow, mine's slightly different from yours, with red bits.
dave

chapperz

Post by chapperz »

I'm not asking you to give me the solution or the product - just the initial problem :)

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

There is more scope in expedition kayaking / open boating where space saving and multi-use items are of benefit, like a portage trolly that doubles as a evacuation stretcher, clothes drier and musical instrument or similar.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

I’m sometimes a bit unstable in my kayak. Wouldn’t some kind of stabiliser device be a good idea? They could be called....oh I dunno...Sponsons?

Also, apparently kayaking gear isn’t fashionable. Can you do something about that?

Sorry, serious suggestions:

Someone on another thread was looking for a waterproof iPhone case that would allow you to use the phone without removing it from the case. There were solutions, but none that appeared to be fully waterproof, shockproof and still allowed use of the phone. Also, (stretch goal) wouldn't it be a good idea if you could design a product that would do the same for a large array of modern smart phones rather than just the iPhone?

Also, what about a buoyancy aid that actually has room for everything that the whitewater paddler wants to carry? I mean my BA has crab, sling, small first aid kit, knife, whistle, my keys etc. The knife has its own little pouch but the rest of it is all in the same pocket. Sometimes the thing you want to get out is at the bottom of the pocket under all the other stuff. Surely that could be organised better without making pocket(s) so big that the paddler’s movements are restricted? And shouldn’t my BA have a built in safe waterproof pocket for my keys? Then what about the watch that I always intend to put around the top of my BA but usually forget? Maybe it means you design specific accessories to go with a BA that you’ve produced, in order to give people the opportunity to kit themselves out fully but still have a tidy life. I guess you’d have to do some market research to find out what the average paddler carries in order to limit the accessory range. And maybe a coach would buy a different BA and range of accessories to the average weekend whitewater paddler?

If you use any of my ideas and they go into production.....I want free kit. Understand? :-)
Martin

Tony Aiuto

Post by Tony Aiuto »

Wilf wrote:There is more scope in expedition kayaking / open boating where space saving and multi-use items are of benefit, like a portage trolly that doubles as a evacuation stretcher, clothes drier and musical instrument or similar.
Or, a canoe floatation bag (front and rear) that has a waterproof storage compartment that is easily accessible, for all your expedition niknaks.

I will accept 20% from your first million, if the idea takes off.
Tony Aiuto

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Tony Aiuto wrote:
Wilf wrote:There is more scope in expedition kayaking / open boating where space saving and multi-use items are of benefit, like a portage trolly that doubles as a evacuation stretcher, clothes drier and musical instrument or similar.
Or, a canoe floatation bag (front and rear) that has a waterproof storage compartment that is easily accessible, for all your expedition niknaks.

I will accept 20% from your first million, if the idea takes off.
I remember talking about how useful it would be if the largest size of open canoe airbags had one of the watershed style airtight rolltops mounted in the top, you might be onto a winner there.

I'm not sure if having it open into the main bag or into a seperate inner bag with the buoyancy chamber surrounding it (so it could be used for essential nickknacks a bit like the small front-deck hatches on some new sea kayaks) would be better, Maybe two versions?
DaveBland wrote:Anyhow, mine's slightly different from yours, with red bits.
Oh yeah, I forgot that the colour radically alters the functionality of them!
I'm planning Lime Green to start with, then once I can get the Take-a-Wish foundation off the ground in phase 2, I'm planning to forge ahead in phase 3 with the aim of getting a version in Hoovaloo ready for 2012.

Joshua Kelly

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Lime green!? That'll never float. Red takes in account the variations in altitude and humidity, not to mention a Hoovaloo version will always 'boof gay'.

Serious subjects to explore:
Anything that makes boats easier to carry is good. There is no good solution out there [except hiring some locals to carry for you].
Anything that makes the sport more accessible.
Anything that makes the sport safer.
dave

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

DaveBland wrote:not to mention a Hoovaloo version will always 'boof gay'.
I'd be careful what you say, that version is "arugably alive" but has some morality issues that we're working on...

Joshua Kelly

banzer

Post by banzer »

Ah I see what you're getting at now.

Second the 'breathing device' mentioned earlier. Either one that makes use of the huge amount of air inside the kayak (some DR boats have them, but strangely can only be used when you're detached from your boat), or a self-contained mini aqualung perhaps at the top of your BA (supposedly Steve Fisher has one). I have experimented with running tubing up inside my cag and poking out the neck, but the necessary tightness of the waist and neck seals prevent this being any use... unless it was all designed integrally. Bear in mind that this idea is hardly new, I don't know if anyone has had any success with it.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Biggest (kayaking-wise) pain in the ass is carrying my boat on long walk-ins, with the cockpit cutting into my shoulder...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

clarky999 wrote:Biggest (kayaking-wise) pain in the ass is carrying my boat on long walk-ins, with the cockpit cutting into my shoulder...
shouldn't that be pain in the neck? or are you carrying your boat all wrong...
dave

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

DaveBland wrote:shouldn't that be pain in the neck? or are you carrying your boat all wrong...
Coffee on keyboard.

BTW, Dave, Josh, I am older than both of you so it is obviously my idea (including the red bits) you two scalliwags stole my retirement fund. Shame on you.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

" Club spec" Airbags made from the same material as armbands or rubber rings but at a fraction of the price.

Or something you have for a pinned boat, would require some thinking, but a capsule placed inside the boat with a small can of c02 and mini air bag attached, you have a button which you carry in your ba, and if you have swum and have a pinned boat, you push the button in your ba. The Button has a switch which inflates the airbag, which would go downstream with the current, and leaves a 15m tail of throwline trailing downstream, internally attached to the grab loop. Now you have the facility to pull the boat off the pin without endangering one of you group who would have to go out and attach a line. (aslong as the airbag doesnt get munched in a stopper)

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

A 'tailored' waterproof paddle kit bag that is shaped for placing inside the kayak seating area, extending into the bow / leg area and combining a spray deck style seal, access zip across the centre of the deck area maybe?.
Boats can be popped onto roof / plane etc, with kit inside it and sealed into an all in one compact unit without having to badly squeeze a barrel shaped bag into the same space or use a separate spray deck cover / deck with tied wait tube etc.

Nathan

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Glasses that stay on your head, don't steam up in the cold weather etc.
Martin

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Weather and External Conditions.
Fashion.
Moving and Handling
Safety & Injury
Repair & Damage Avoidance
Food & Drink
Etc.

Just go all Honda…Do Something, Hate Something, Change Something, Make Something Betteeeerrrrr…….

Seriously though, go boating yourself, think and document every step of your day from waking up or even the night before. Look back at everything you’ve documented and think of missing technology or a way of improving current technology.

Innovation doesn’t take brains, it just takes planning…..and with my flavoured edible toilet paper I’ll be retiring a millionaire soon!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Toby

Post by Toby »

Ryan P wrote:....and with my flavoured edible toilet paper I’ll be retiring a millionaire soon!
Cleans on the way out eh?
We don't wear sequins because we think we are great, it is just we think sequins are great

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

DaveBland wrote:
clarky999 wrote:Biggest (kayaking-wise) pain in the ass is carrying my boat on long walk-ins, with the cockpit cutting into my shoulder...
shouldn't that be pain in the neck? or are you carrying your boat all wrong...
LOL!
NPearce wrote:A 'tailored' waterproof paddle kit bag that is shaped for placing inside the kayak seating area, extending into the bow / leg area and combining a spray deck style seal, access zip across the centre of the deck area maybe?.
Boats can be popped onto roof / plane etc, with kit inside it and sealed into an all in one compact unit without having to badly squeeze a barrel shaped bag into the same space or use a separate spray deck cover / deck with tied wait tube etc.
^^^I like the sound of this though!

garya

Post by garya »

How about this

Sea or river boyancy aid that has an inflatable collar.

I paddle with the disabled sometimes and also do some sea paddling. in both cases it would be good to have a manual inflation collar and wings on a normal low volume bouyancy aid. In an emergancy this could be manually inflated to give much higher face up bouyancy.

or

Kayak camera mount and optional pole attachment to get those overhead shots from behind the paddler.

Gary A

chapperz

Post by chapperz »

Thanks for all the suggestions, some really good ones here! Keep them coming, and I'll let you know what problem I end up taking forward :)

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

SAT NAV!!!....instead of Tom Tom you could call it Fnar Fnar...after the sports biggest boating pervert ;o)

I'm always getting lost on the river, which way's the take out?
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

morsey

Post by morsey »

You could design an intuitive generic info sticker for boats.

A stick man canoeing, big red cross.
A stick man canoeing with buoyo, tick.
A stick man canoeing waves with helmet, tick.
A weir, big red cross.
A stick man canoeing with a beard, big red cross.
A stick man canoeing with a beard and top hat, tick.
A place to write your contact details incase the boat is lost.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”