Boat size and van conversions

Inland paddling
jaq

Boat size and van conversions

Post by jaq »

Odd question - I'm in the process of planning my van conversion but stuck and need to make room for boats, I only have a little boat at the moment but want to be able to fit big boats, so was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give me the dimensions of their boats - height and width to be precise (and length if you like, but I can find that on the internet so is less important)

Additionally if anyone would like to show off their van conversion to me I'd be delighted to see the pictures or hear ideas, I've not seen anything yet that fits what I want. I have an ex-AA T4 and would like to use in two different configurations - sitting and sleeping or boating and sleeping, but alas - having benches low enough to sit on I don't think leaves enough space for boats underneath, so am thinking I need the bed to be higher than the bench seats, or something.

I can't rely on putting boats on the roof, I am 5ft 1, not very strong and even with a step ladder I wouldn't be able to lift a boat up there myself, I would probably just topple the step ladder, so I need to transport at least my own boat inside, ideally 2 or 3 though. It's just so much faff putting them on the roof and kinda defeats the point of having a van!

Thank you :)

Summit to Sea

Re: Boat size and van conversions

Post by Summit to Sea »

For putting the boats on the roof, it sounds like you need a kari-tek Easy load roofrack system.
Pete

jaq

Post by jaq »

*googles*

That's pretty neat (although I think I'd still need a step ladder to put it up, I can't reach the roof at all), however I can't afford the price tag, don't keep the bars on the roof and it looks like you'd have to with that, or at least it'd make it harder to get them on and off (it's my only vehicle, I can't get into car parks with them on) and it still doesn't solve the problem of I'd much rather keep the boats inside the van than on the roof.

I'm sure what I want is possible, I'm just not sure how or if I'm capable of building it (or rather, if I'm capable of persuading my dad to build it)

Chris.d.w

Post by Chris.d.w »

I know the boats database on the playak website has dimensions for many boats. Im not sure if you need an account to see the boat stats, but its a pretty useful website for boat comparing and the like.

http://playak.com/buyersguide.php?cid=5 ... =boatbrand

Edit: just checked, an account is needed, but it doesn't take long to set up

afkt

Post by afkt »

eddyflower has boat dimensions as well

jaq

Post by jaq »

I haven't looked at eddyflower recently because my browser thinks it hosts malware, but I've not seen any of those sites list the dimension I need most - the height from the ground - to see how much clearance is needed to fit big boats (as while I don't have one atm it's not unreasonable to think I might paddle with someone who does, or buy one in the future).

I wasn't sure if someone had done something similar and knew how tall they were.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”