'Different' Cags

Inland paddling
c.blyth

'Different' Cags

Post by c.blyth »

I am looking into getting a new cag for the up and coming winter season and I fancy something a bit different.
I have nothing but good things about the bomber gear dry top but also the stohlquist freefall looks pretty good. Another option is the Level 6 duke.
What are peoples experiences with these products?
Ps if you want to know why I am not buying a peak one etc is because i had a peak one for the last few years and just fancy a change :)

action_girl72

Re: 'Different' Cags

Post by action_girl72 »

But if it worked well for a couple of years, why switch from the tried & tested????

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth »

action_girl72 wrote:But if it worked well for a couple of years, why switch from the tried & tested????
I just fancy something different from the norm.
So which cag do you think is best?

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

Charles,

If you save up all the money from your paper route and don't spend it on sweets or what ever you crazy kids spend your pocket money on theses days, you could get a Kokatat Rouge Gore-tex dry top and know you have the best cag on the market.

Failing that, the Level 6 stuff is nice, I had a L6 drysuit for the briefest of times and really liked how it was put together, a mate of mine paddles for L6 and genuinely treated the kit like sh~@t and it faired pretty well. And it looks pretty cool to, cos you know that matters.

Adrian

Mission

Post by Mission »

I've worn a bombergear cag for over a year now and can't say anything bad about it. It's dry, comfortable and unlike a lot of cags the seals are very easily replaced. I just did mine with the very minimum of hassle. Also the seals are guaranteed for a year. Only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets. Not really a big problem but it would be handy sometimes.

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth »

Adrian Shanahan wrote:Charles,

If you save up all the money from your paper route and don't spend it on sweets or what ever you crazy kids spend your pocket money on theses days, you could get a Kokatat Rouge Gore-tex dry top and know you have the best cag on the market.

Adrian
I can't seem to find a price on it(help?), I'm not sure if it was the rogue but i felt my friends kokatat dry top and it seemed awfully thin, not great for the rock bashing i get up to!

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

Charles,

The Rouge comes in at £320 from i-canoe HERE, you might have felt the Helix which is made of Tropos fabric and still isnt cheap at £156 but they are in what I have see so far dirt and you may have a cag made of tissue paper.

I have a Peak UK Creek cag hanging up in the garage and it is a great bit of kit, but when compared to the Kokatat gore-tex stuff I have the gore-tex feels light and thin but it has yet to fail me yet.

Adrian

action_girl72

Post by action_girl72 »

As and when my Peak UK Creek eventually gives up the ghost (over 2 years and wearing a LOT better than my Stikine drysuit did, even after more use), I'll get another. I'm even tempted to buy another now and put it in the 'bottom drawer' in case they either drop it or change it drastically.

4starmike

Post by 4starmike »

At the moment, I've currently got the Stohlquist FreeFall, the L6 Duke & the Kokatat Rogue and love them all for their own different reasons! You've gotta have more than one dry top, for those wet bank holiday weekends, when drying gear is not a realistic option.

All the cags keep me dry, but there's a few nice features that I like with each of them. I like the waist system on the L6 cags, which actually feels like it will stay there! As well as the pocket, which has enough space for my wallet, car keys and Phone, in their separate dry bags and how tough the material generally is. I like the Rogue for the general fit and how comfy it is to wear, as well as how light it feels when wearing it. Sometimes it just feels like I'm wearing a paclite jacket. But I also like the Freefall, as it's got some pretty hard wearing protection on the arms, as well as I kind of like the little zip on the neck and the pocket is a decent size. But the top two would be the Duke & the Rogue, as I feel the Freefall may in fact be a bit too big for me!

If I had the option of replacing one of my current cag's though, it would either be a L6 Mack or another Kokatat Rogue! The L6 Mack seems to look the business and I'd imagine it would live up to the reputation of it's younger brother too. And the Rogue (in my eyes at least) has lived up to it's name and the price you pay for it!

If you're looking for a more rocky, tough wearing creeking cag though, I'd suggest for you to look at the L6 & Stohlquist Cags. They feel more hard wearing and should give you more peace at mind too, if they were to come in contact with rocks on the river!
Mike
Vimeo

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Word over here is the new Sweet dry top is the dogs.
http://www.sweetprotection.com/#/whitew ... y-dry-top/
dave

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

+1 for the Kokatat Rogue. Mine has seen years of regular use (in high UV conditions) and it's still bone dry. Look after it, wash and reproof it properly, and it'll last for ages.

I had a Stohlquist before that and it was leaking badly within a year. It was black though, so maybe more susceptible to UV.

Palm Sidewinders seem to be pretty good, but nearly everyone has one!

Sweet are new to the market. Kokatat are tried & tested. Easy choice.
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth »

kieronymous wrote:+1 for the Kokatat Rogue. Mine has seen years of regular use (in high UV conditions) and it's still bone dry. Look after it, wash and reproof it properly, and it'll last for ages.

I had a Stohlquist before that and it was leaking badly within a year. It was black though, so maybe more susceptible to UV.

Palm Sidewinders seem to be pretty good, but nearly everyone has one!

Sweet are new to the market. Kokatat are tried & tested. Easy choice.
but it is also £100 more, and when i felt one ( I don't know which model) it felt awfully thin and I am pretty heavy handed.
I am really stuck between the level 6 one, stoholquist or the bomber. All look so good...

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

You won't go wrong with the Level 6 or the Bomber Gear... I'd reccomend giving IR's gear a look too, and their customer service is possibly the best I've ever experienced, and then some.

Personally speaking though, when my old sidewinder dies, I'll replace it with a Sweet cag, as they're the only one's with the pulled in neoprene waist that the old model sidewinder had...
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

LoopyLou

Post by LoopyLou »

I'm selling a bomber gear dry cag, save you having to order one from the states and save yourself some money

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... ag#p484435

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

How are the bomber gear latex seals easier to replace please? I've not seen one in real life yet. Cheers.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

If I had the cash, I'd go with Sweet. If I needed a new cag, I'd probably stump up the cash for a Sweet one.

Gareth H

Post by Gareth H »

You seem to have missed one of the better brands, I personally feel you cant go wrong with Sandiline, excellent tough and very dry 4 layer materials. I would also rate Stohlquist and Kokatat.

I still have a Stohlquist cag that is 2 years old and still looks mint and is dry.

I have been using Sandiline Cagdecks for a few months now and they seem excellent. Time will tell of course but I cant recommend them enough so far, and they are manufactured by the Sandiline all in house.

Cheers

Gareth

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”