Is River Itchen (Warwickshire) Kayakable?

Inland paddling
neilos

Is River Itchen (Warwickshire) Kayakable?

Post by neilos »

Hi, I am spending a few days camping near Long Itchington in Warwickshire. I know there is a small river nearby caled The river Itchen. Does anyone know if I would be able to paddle it and where any legal access points to the river are?
Regards Neilos

Adrian Cooper

Re: Is River Itchen (Warwickshire) Kayakable?

Post by Adrian Cooper »

neilos

Post by neilos »

Can I assume the picture is of the river Itchen? If so have you managed to paddle on it?
It looks tame enough to take a child along which is what I am looking to do. Looking at the map I also see that the river leam is nearby too so that may be a possibility.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

All the rivers along there are super flat. The Leam and Avon do have some weirs on but they are easily avoided apart from the one right by Warwick Castle.
Leamington does have a canoe club that I'm sure you could check out. All suitable for a kid. There is also a good canal network around there too, which will be just as challenging as the rivers! I'm sure there's a canoe centre in or around Jeferson Gardens in Leamington too.
You shouldn't have any access problems around there either.
Oh, and don't swallow the water - it's not the cleanest.

It's been a while since I was around there, but it can't have changed much.
dave

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

neilos wrote:Can I assume the picture is of the river Itchen? If so have you managed to paddle on it?
Yes, No.

Dave's information sounds much more useful to you.

I only looked it up because I had not heard of an 'Itchen' in that area, only further south. I am guessing that itchen is derived from some Anglo Saxon word for a river a bit like avon. More research needed on this.

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

Hi - Avon is not derived from Anglo Saxon but from earlier British languages see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brythonic_languages

Class swat - I know
Nick Mawer

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Yeh, yeh! ;-) All I know is 'avon' means river. The extent of my current knowledge and I think I worked it out for myself from English, Welsh, Scottish and French usage of similar words.

It would be good if you could trace 'itchen' for me though.

neilos

Post by neilos »

I'll ask the locals what Itchen means - if I can find any real local people that is.
I kayaked with my two boys from the Leam boat centre in Leamington at the weekend, it was nice, calm and gentle and perfect for the boys. The canal overspill is a bit of a worry. I haven't managed to explore further west of Offchurch yet, but in the past I have been challenged by one hooty land owner for being on his patch of the river - hence the question about access. I don't mind when I'm by myself but when I with the boy's I want to be in the clear.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

One might think it had something to do with 'icene' but they were quite a way away in Norfolk.

Norman Teasdale

Post by Norman Teasdale »

Perhaps it was comment on the water quality? 'Paddle that and you'll be itchen for weeks after'......

.....edit - it's probably lovely, really. Sorry, I've never been anywhere near it to know.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

No, you are correct. The water quality sucks.

If you want okay access with no hassle for your kids, try the stretch from below the weir by Leam boat centre, past the Canoe club, by Dale street bridge round the Princes Drive Weir to the junction with the Avon. From there you can either go Left to Warwick Castle [Get out by St Nicolas park just before the Castle... or... go right at the junction, up the Avon – the current upstream is okay, I used to do this as a 10 year old – to Rock mill Weir and upstream agin to Saxon Mill if you like.
Or you could do the reverse route.

I used to paddle this as a kid with just my mates of the same age, so it's totally child friendly with an adult. All the weirs are easily portagable and the Rock Mill one is super fun as a kid to shoot as it's a ramp. It does get a hole if high, but flushes. The bigger of the two weirs there is the best.

Or you could swop Coventry for Calgary and paddle any number of crystal clear rivers on your doorstep – all, not only with a legal right to paddle them, but a government that actively encourages the sport for all ages and a city council that has been so good as to build us a spanking new whitewater park right on the river downtown [free to use for all, of course].

Not gloating, just saying...

Now comes the gloating... just off to paddle the Toby Canyons run in BC... bye...
dave

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

As Dave said, it's a nice paddle from the Leam Boat Centre downstream (you can shoot all the weirs in most water levels, but they are easy to portage too) to the Avon, then up the Avon to the Saxon Mill for a pub lunch. Be aware that the weir next to the pub can get quite sticky, I've had to pull my mate out on a line after he was recirced there in fairly low water.

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

Adrian Cooper wrote:One might think it had something to do with 'icene' but they were quite a way away in Norfolk.
That is the guess of the Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names
Nick Mawer

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

You're working hard on this one Nick. :-)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

clarky999 wrote:As Dave said, it's a nice paddle from the Leam Boat Centre downstream (you can shoot all the weirs in most water levels, but they are easy to portage too) to the Avon, then up the Avon to the Saxon Mill for a pub lunch. Be aware that the weir next to the pub can get quite sticky, I've had to pull my mate out on a line after he was recirced there in fairly low water.
So, the Jeferson gardens weir is a no go unless it's crazy high [over the chain]. Needs a boof to avoid the towback and funny cave-like doorways in the pillars. Fished my mate Pete out of there, sticky as hell. Princes drive weir goes best river left down the narrow chute. Can be bumpy low water. Rock Mill goes anywhere. Nice stopper at the base for learning how to sit in 'em. A bit boney Underneath though. Saxon Mill has nice play/surf at base in v.high water. Not recommended to shoot though.

The Castle weir is, I think, chained off. It's a boat wrecker at low levels and sticky at high. Can't remember the line now but it does go at medium. Hard to inspect without committing to it.

Stratford weirs. The sluice there creates a good playwave when on full and the left [looking upstream] weir can be fun when high too. Careful though.

Here ends the Leamington and Warwick Whitewater guide! But don't get excited... it's not worth traveling for. But if you are in the area, there is some limited fun to be had.
dave

neilos

Post by neilos »

I took the boys for a gentle paddle away from the weirs in the end. Can I assume the term sticky means getting stuck on the weirs? I have shot a few on the Avon between Leamington and Stratford Upon Avon during the annual doggy paddle- loved it.

When I asked the locals in the Crow pub they had quite an discussion and then hooked up their phones to the internet to fing out where the river Ichen's name comes from. They found the same information as myself - the Iceni tribe, this is not local knowledge but a google attempt - such is modern life.
I'm off to the Gower next to try the boys in some surf.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

You sound like a cool Dad.
Have fun.
dave

sully

Post by sully »

Hi. can anyone tell me how much of the leam is kayakable? i have read many have reached offchurch but i intend going downstream from kites hardwick to leamington. does this sound viable? regards sully.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”