Uganda

Inland paddling
Torsten

Uganda

Post by Torsten »

I am looking at heading out to Uganda for the last 2 weeks of October and was looking for a few bits of info as I haven't been before...

First off, there shouldn't be any specific issues/problems going then?

Does anyone who has been recently have a itemised costing for 2 weeks out there?

Thanks

RVabdn

Re: Uganda

Post by RVabdn »

We just got back. The only issue is the Dam. General opinion among the guides seemed to be that silver back will be closed to paddlers pretty soon. There's not much you can do about that though and there's still plenty to paddle.

I spent about £400 + £200 for three days guiding with NRE we stayed at Hairy Lemon NRE and Eden Rock you could probably do it cheaper if you wanted to Hairy Lemon costs roughly £10(30,000sh) per night including three meals drinks cost 1000sh for soft drinks and 3500sh for beer.

I can't remember what camping cost at NRE but it was $4 per night at eden rock which is just round the corner and a lot quieter. Drinks in NRE are 3000 for beer 1000 for soft drinks 500 for water. Food at NRE costs about 6000 (and takes about a fortnight to arrive).

For shuttles we usually hired a mini bus. Virian is a good guy you can get his details from NRE we paid 60,000-80,000 depending on where we were going and how long we needed him to wait. If the group is small bodas are a better option. Silver back to NRE cost 3000. Hairy lemon to Calagala cost 7000. The boda drivers will try to get you to pay more but find out first how much it should cost and don't let them mess you around, it's a game to them and they're really not as pissed off as they pretend to be.

Edit we were there for closer to 3 weeks.
Richard Veitch

jamie conn

Post by jamie conn »

Hi,
I am also (hopefully) heading out there with Torsten.
Thanks for the info...
Did you have to book places at the campsites or did you just turn up and pay on the day?
The big question for us at the moment is whether to book 2 days guiding at the start as you did, was this worth doing?

Thanks,

Jamie

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn »

I would say the guiding is totally worth it. KTN were fantastic and really set us up. If you don't know where you're going it is really important to know the channels of the river and for that alone you'll need advice. They also gave us coaching which was really helpful and organised airport shuttles. I can't recommend them enough.

At Eden Rock or NRE you won't need to book for camping, you might need to if you want a room. At Hairy lemon you need to let them know in advance so they can buy enough food.
Richard Veitch

thetangoman

Post by thetangoman »

When I went out with a friend in 2008 we decided to take the introduction course by KTN. It was definitely worth doing as they sorted out all our shuttles and stuff for the first couple of days whilst we found out what was going on, as well as providing guiding and tuition on the river.

Andy

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

A number of guys from Herts Canoe Club have just come back, one week ago and they said guides are a definate plus. There is more info on their website and they are having a video evening on Wednesday 11th August to show the Uganda trip. The chairman of the club went and can tell you more, you can get his name off the website.

Here is one of the rapids they did.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”