Buffalo / Montane smock any good

Inland paddling
4x4maddog

Buffalo / Montane smock any good

Post by 4x4maddog »

Hi guys been looking at these smocks lately few questions,

How good are they? would use it for winter walking,hiking, camping and maybe pulling on after a good winter paddle

they say shower proof how do they really perform?

which is best the buffalo or montane? the montane is cheaper and has hood

Let me know what you have and how you find them, i have a down jacket but rarely wear it as its too warm and white (this winter an exception)

Mission

Re: Buffalo / Montane smock any good

Post by Mission »

Absolutely lovely! Not a purchase you will ever regret.
Showerproof for the first wee while but will require reproofing after a while. Very warm and unlike a down jacket they stay warm when wet through.

I've a buffalo and am well happy with it, but i really cant see much reason why it is more expensive, Montane seems just as good.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Buffalo gear is superb, much better than down for near all uk use (you'll probably still want down if your're belaying in the snow). It's only showerproof if you reproof it regularly, but it's as warm wet as it is dry anyway.

edit @ niall: buffallo say it's expensive because it's made in sheffield, but I seem to recall montane is made just outside newcastle... so I'm puzzled too.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

sounds good possibly even wear it for winter touring canoeing too then?

do you guys wear them next to the skin or with garments underneath, other people suggest they are really warm too warm for most weather but i think it will suit winter walking in scotland nicely

garya

Post by garya »

Buffalo stuff is great and the origonal product.

It is very tough and easier to clean and look after than down. Paramo is good too but hidiously expensive at the moment I have just gone over to this as it is more waterproof, worth a look if your budget will streach to it.

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... ELEZUNISEX

Gary A

flashollie

Post by flashollie »

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/T ... ng/Buffalo

All you need to know!
ive worn salopettes and shirt only on many scottish winter routes. Its the best there is.
Make sure you wear it next to skin and is close fitting, do not treat it with the new fangle silicone washes it doesn't need it and they will reduce the performance.

Its only down side it can be too warm when working hard in warm weather as its really designed for winter walking/climbing. Can be a bit cool for stadning around in and it will get wet if you not forceing the moisutre out through activity. But if your active its the dogs.
Montane and buffalo similar idea get the one that fits best.

In the UK you need very little else.
The pants are a particular favorite of mine and I am sure a photo will find its way here soon.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

garya wrote:Buffalo stuff is great and the origonal product.

It is very tough and easier to clean and look after than down. Paramo is good too but hidiously expensive at the moment I have just gone over to this as it is more waterproof, worth a look if your budget will streach to it.

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... ELEZUNISEX

Gary A

looks great but bit too pricy for me to be honest, im always scared of gettin my down soaked so something thats warm when wet and drys quickly is ideal if its really wet i could pop a waterpfoof outer over them anyway,

tkelsey1

Post by tkelsey1 »

Montane smocks are fantastic, the hood really makes a difference and is very good at enclosing your head/most of face if necessary. they aren't waterproof by any means but they are showerproof and will keep you warm when wet anyway. I think they are designed to be worn next to the skin, or with a base-layer. I use mine as a bank jacket, for hiking, sitting out when camping etc...

Well vented if you get too hot too...

Have never tried a buffalo, but would def recommend the montane for performance and value!

m_kittle

Post by m_kittle »

I got the montane one to take to the arctic last winter. Wore it pretty much for 2 n half months straight. And ive worn it so much since I got back.

Its brilliant, the montane is a better design than the buffalo, but the buffalo looks nicer. Id thoroughly recommend both of them, I went with the montane cos its cheaper and comes with a hood.
Theyre great for when you get off the river, used mine quite a lot. Good for when its raining cos you can just throw it on without bothering getting dry first, dries you off nicely and your warm instantly.
Im gonna stop now, I could just go on singing montane's praises all day

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood »

Got a Buffalo Special 6 Shirt.
Yes, toasty warm and use it as a winter bank jacket.

However I find the cut a little restrictive when trying it out as an open boating top.

BTW if you are larger than the regular sizes, try Penrith Survival for XXLs in certain styles.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

great sounds like what i need il try them both on and see what fits best as from what your sayin they need a close fit to work good , far from normal sized im 6'5" broad shoulders and slim waist so bit akward for fitting as whats nice around my shoulders tends to bag round my waist prob an xl in most things.

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Second all the positive comments re buffalo shirts - had one for over 20 years, never reproofed & I can't even remember getting wet through outer shell & have been out in some very shabby weather.
Have duvet jacket as well, but much prefer buffalo for UK conditions,
In addition - you can get hoods which velcrose on & are a good fit & they feature an integral waist strap which you can use to get good fit around the middle.
Brilliant for all cold weather activities & second to none to have at the bottom of your rucksac or drybag to put on inbetween activities/ lunches etc.
Woodsy

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

So is the buffalo more popular because its been around for longer?

anyone got or tryed both which is best?

Mission

Post by Mission »

TheKrikkitWars wrote: edit @ niall: buffallo say it's expensive because it's made in sheffield, but I seem to recall montane is made just outside newcastle... so I'm puzzled too.
Yep I really don't understand this at all, both UK companies selling a very similar product. However on the point of the hood, I bought one almost immediately after getting my buffalo (special 6 one is definitely the way forward) brilliant piece of kit but bear in mind that its going to add onto your cost.
4x4maddog wrote:sounds good possibly even wear it for winter touring canoeing too then?

do you guys wear them next to the skin or with garments underneath, other people suggest they are really warm too warm for most weather but I think it will suit winter walking in scotland nicely
A bit too warm for winter canoeing I'd say though ive used mine as warm gear on paddling trips before. It is much warmer worn next to the skin strangely enough but I do prefer wearing a T-shirt underneath if possible, a bit more comfortable and it stays cleaner for longer. I wore mine on it's own in scotland in January (-12 the whole time) and it was brilliant!

I cannot reccomend mine enough, the only negative points I have are it gets dirty easily and can be a little restrictive sometimes due to the tight cut of them. Mine has taken absolutely terrible abuse for the last few years and I still wear it all winter.

(Buffalo do custom sizing btw)

flashollie

Post by flashollie »

The montane stuff is thicker pile but the pertex is similar if not heavier check the specs. This leads to possible less breathe-ability when working and its the movement of moisture away for your skin that makes this system so so good. I have not used montane so this is only an opinion.
Thermals work by moving moisture from your body, pile is even better at this than hellys etc.
For standing about I would think Montane would be warmer. However fit is key and buffalo is cut better for me and has the belt in the pocket.
The hood and collar are better on the montane but the buffalo tapers better at the waist. Ive got special 6 shirt and mountain shirt prefer the special 6 is longer on your arse.

Both type are warmer next to skin because thermals dont move moist as well. For me the key is get the one that fits closest all over.
Montane is cheaper normally. Once you get your head round how it works and you use it properly youll not regret it. Read the needle sports page.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

yeah the buffalo more expensive then if i want a hood got to buy it, think il try them on and go with what feels best the montane would work out a fair bit cheaper considering the hood though. good to get so much positive feedback iv discounted them before now because they not waterproof but if your walking up a ben im normally sweating my ass off in a layered system with a waterproof fleece they dont breathe enough

Robert Surrey

Post by Robert Surrey »

flashollie wrote:http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/T ... ng/Buffalo

All you need to know!
ive worn salopettes and shirt only on many scottish winter routes. Its the best there is.
Make sure you wear it next to skin and is close fitting, do not treat it with the new fangle silicone washes it doesn't need it and they will reduce the performance.

Its only down side it can be too warm when working hard in warm weather as its really designed for winter walking/climbing. Can be a bit cool for stadning around in and it will get wet if you not forceing the moisutre out through activity. But if your active its the dogs.
Montane and buffalo similar idea get the one that fits best.

In the UK you need very little else.
The pants are a particular favorite of mine and I am sure a photo will find its way here soon.
Always happy to oblige

Buffalo gear is absolutley the dogs for any activity in the uk.
As warm wet as it is dry. Wear next to the skin and buy a snug size to prevent the bellows effect.

Life is short. Filled with stuff.

lochie99

Post by lochie99 »

Superb bit of kit where ever you are, cant recommend it enough. Been everywhere from building sites to snow covered kurdish mountains, the buffalo is the mutts nuts and worth every penny. I have a really old set (top and trousers) that i wear under my dry suit. Every switched on squaddie owns a buffalo and we dont like being cold or wet!
www.geoffthompson.com
See his blog, inspirational.

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 »

Warning. The Montane Extrem Smock is NOT waterproof.

To be fair, its not designed to be, but if you want to buy a warm (and waterproof Garment) do not buy this. It is good as insulation, but little more than that.
I dont even find it amazingly windproof. I was, needless to say throughly disapointed by mine, and highly glad that I got it at a good price.

I dont believe that it is worth considering any other "system" of waterproofing/ insulation other than paramo. I know it is expensive, but for me the price you pay buys pure quality that will last.

A useful tip, Paramo do hold "quality seconds" sales of last years colours (they just held one in wadhurst, Sussex) although these have stopped in preferance for them setting up an Ebay Shop. I brought my Aspria Jacket from the quality seconds sale at a price of £110 (i.e. Competative against North Face/ Berghaus). This was in 2008 winter. 2 years on, it is still as good as new. The sleeves aren't beading incredibly well, but a spin in the washer with tech-wash/ tx-direct will sort this out.

If you want a pure insulation system- Paramo Torres is the way to go. If it rips/ tears you can get repairs (i.e. £35 for a new sleeve, £30 for a patch) and so you dont just "throw away" the garment as you would if you ripped a "trad" garment.

I know people who have had paramo since the birth of the company some 30 years ago and still have their original garments, they are that good.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

4x4maddog wrote:So is the buffalo more popular because its been around for longer?

anyone got or tryed both which is best?
I have both. They are both excellent. The Montane outer shell is more resistant to tearing or snagging than the Buffalo.
On the hills they are great at keeping you warm. However, I've found both to get wet through in heavy rain. That said both will still provide some warmth when wet.

For me the Montane has the edge as it looks a bit better.

Terryg

Post by Terryg »

LucyLou19 wrote:Warning. The Montane Extrem Smock is NOT waterproof.

To be fair, its not designed to be, but if you want to buy a warm (and waterproof Garment) do not buy this. It is good as insulation, but little more than that.
I dont even find it amazingly windproof. I was, needless to say throughly disapointed by mine, and highly glad that I got it at a good price.
My Buffalo Big Face shirt is about about 20 years old and is extremely windproof. I wore it riding my bike during winter with nothing underneath and was very cosy.
I also own the Buffalo trousers, and the only thing I could criticise my Buffs for is that they are too warm to wear most of the time. However, when the weather turns foul there is nothing better.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

Well i went into town to try them on the large buffalo special six was a nice fit quite close to the skin but the large montane extreme was too small and the shop didnt have xl however i found

the fit of the buffalo was lovely

the buffalo was longer which was nice covers more arse

i liked the wieght of pertex in the montane felt less flimsy and also had reinforced elbows

love the hood on the montane

so still cant really make my mind up till iv tryed the right size of montane

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

I would highly recommend the Buffalo shirt, I have had a special 6 for about 15 years and it is still going strong, nice and warm, showerproof and pretty robust, well worth the £90ish I managed to pay for it. I have worn paddling under dry kit, open boating as my main top, up in the mountains, in the sleeping bag for extra warmth etc etc etc. I could happily have any pair of comfy boots, thermals, drytop etc but when the Buffalo has had it's day it is one of the few bits of kit I will replace like for like.

Nathan

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Can i suggest something a bit different??

I use something called a Swandri - it's from New Zealand and it a treated woolen smock. You can get a zip up bush shirt as well. They are proper wool - love that low tec look and not recycled plastic.

Me and Ray Mears swear by them and they even look great.

http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshir ... hirt.html#

White water "rider"

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog »

Looks different can you buy them over here?

iv ordered a buffalo anyway now il let you know how i get on with it, the buffalo just fit better the montane tight on arms and under arms got a new bffalo special 6 for 80quid off fleabay so couldnt resist at that price. il be testing it come winter

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

4x4maddog wrote:Looks different can you buy them over here?
Not sure, but with product features like these:

"and a side split for ease of movement on your bike or horse. Features a chest pocket big enough for a tobacco pouch or pocket pc. "

How could you not want one - i live in mine in the winter.
White water "rider"

stone056

Post by stone056 »

hello, i wore mine paddling in the winter in nroth wales, i couldn't fit anything else on under my cag. was interesting when setting u for a role too as i was so padded out. an amazing peice of kit and hugely wind proof for in the hills, i would recommend, i bought mine for £10 second hand off ebay and live in it! i have washed it though.

furby

Post by furby »

The army issue snugpak jackets are good bits of kit and should be avaliable in surplus stores. Lot cheaper that the two discussed above and a great alternative.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I wore mine at work all day today (Montane Extreme) in the rain. Best thing about it in my opinion is that you can unzip the sides and fit it on over a cag and even BA if you have to. Lovely and warm, I also wore mine all week for the west highland way - with all the vents open in the heat, and all of them zipped up on the summit of the Ben. Its so flexible. Also, turn the pile outwards for a comfy pillow when camping.

The hood doesn't fit a helmet underneath (for climbing), but thats not really how pile works anyway. Its best next to skin. Also, about the hood - its worth fitting some poppers on the back to keep it in place.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris »

furby wrote:The army issue snugpak jackets are good bits of kit and should be avaliable in surplus stores. Lot cheaper that the two discussed above and a great alternative.
Yuck! I get issued these things and absolutely hate them! Total rubbish and always let you down when you most need them!

Buffalo is the way forward. I have a lightweight Special 6, a special 6, a belay jacket and a lightweight pair of trousers (don't need sallopettes they are too warm!). My Special 6 shirt is over 15 years old - it has been to Iraq, Kosovo, the Falklands and will be the first thing I pack when I go out to Afghan in Oct. It has been used under a dry suit, in a trench, as a pillow, to cover a protective dog bite arm and probably worn on average every other day. I have been soaked in it and never got cold although I agree sometimes they can be a little too warm.

These things are bomb proof and I just can't recommend them enough - I have tried down jackets and find you just have to look after them too much. Buy Buffalo, you cant go wrong.

Chris (not sponsored or in any way connected to Buffalo but if they want to call me....)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”