ANGRY, AGGRESSIVE Fishermen. just sharing my story

Inland paddling
Steve B

Re: ANGRY, AGGRESSIVE Fishermen. just sharing my story

Post by Steve B »

DAB wrote:
Steve B wrote:
DAB wrote:Steve are you a closit fishermen?
You seem to be an intelligent bloke, so you decide.
it seems I have been misquoted
Ooops, sorry, corrected now.
Steve Balcombe

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

......the vast majority of paddlers would very happily live and let live.
Unless you own a dog :-)
Martin

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mharrall wrote:
......the vast majority of paddlers would very happily live and let live.
Unless you own a dog :-)
Hi Martin. I thought of you as I wrote my first post, knowing that you would probably read it. I'm afraid I don't take anything back - but I did make it clear that I don't mean *all* dog owners.

Surely responsible dog owners must get even more incensed than I do about this? I've spoken to one or two around here who are exasperated by the way other owners behave.
Steve Balcombe

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Yes indeed. Poop should be scooped etc. I've been smiling to myself reading your posts though, as for some reason I imagine you as a Jack Dee like character on that 'grumpy old men' program. Sorry :-)
Martin

Robert Surrey

Post by Robert Surrey »

This is one of my favourite threads on here for a long time.
I'm in agreement with Steve B here.
Whilst I love animals in general the selfish actions of some irresponsible dog owners really give all dog owners a bad name.
If the original poster had his dogs under control (and calling them back after the event isn't the same as being under control) instead of letting them bound mindlessly into the anglers swim then I doubt very much there would have been any confrontation.
Life is short. Filled with stuff.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

If I want a bit of a longer ride to work, I can go via a disused railway that has been converted into a cycle path. One of the main things that spoils it is people who insist on walking their dogs without keeping them on a short lead.

I mean, I don't want to hit the dog any more than the dog would appreciate being speared by a hundred kilos at 20mph. The annoying thing is though that the dog walkers always give *me* a dirty look, as though somehow they don't appreciate that while they can still walk their dog while keeping it under control, I can't ride on the path without being on the path...

It always strikes me that cyclists and kayakers share many of the same troubles (from drivers and anglers).

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mharrall wrote:Yes indeed. Poop should be scooped etc. I've been smiling to myself reading your posts though, as for some reason I imagine you as a Jack Dee like character on that 'grumpy old men' program. Sorry :-)
;-)
Steve Balcombe

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Forget dogs, our neighbours cows used to get into our garden. I did mention he should scoop the poop but for some reason he never pursued that suggestion!

Personally I like animals running around, it's good having a bit of life about. Living in a convered farm building I guess that's handy cos I don't get much choice with parts of the farm still being active!

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die »

Dog poop in bags then either thrown in trees or left on the ground are in my top 500 bugbears with humanity. Especially when i worked a s tree surgeon, climbing trees and doing my work whilst coming across a blue bag full of dog crap high up in a tree! Impressed by their shot but not when you chainsaw goes through it of your strimmer...........i hate cats aswell. I now throw all cat crap back into my neighbours garden from whence they came. Digging and weeding my veg plot and getting crap on them is not nice.........i am a nats ball hair away from going balistic on their catty bums with a flame thrower some days.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

GumGum

Post by GumGum »

Dog poop in bags then either thrown in trees or left on the ground
It's a really odd thing to do though isn't it, yet so commonly encountered everywhere.

Surely scooping up and bagging the still-warm poo is about the worst part of the whole thing, once you've done this it would be relatively easy to stick it into a carrier bag (not too much fore-thought needed to bring one out with you) and then dispose of it properly. So they get so far, but then decide to leave it on the ground in a bad, making it far worse than if they'd just left it.

Tip/plea for dog-owners - if you're too lazy/selfish to bag it and bin it, why not flick it into the undergrowth with a stick? Not ideal, but way way better than nothing, and way way way way better then bagging and leaving!

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

GumGum wrote:
As it happens I was out (in the sea) last night fishing in my kayak - caught 11 plump mackerel, very tasty!
Dom
There I was having a little chuckle reading this thread thinking that people get so wound up over such little things then I read this and got really upset.

I never catch anything, any tips. (start a post in the sea forum if necessary)

Oh and as regards dogs crap you can never moan unless you have strimmed it. I have known some fellas who reckon they could tell what make it was - nice.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die »

Although a fresh poop in a bag does make for a great winter pocket warmer.
Andy

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

DAB wrote:
Steve B wrote:
DAB wrote:Steve are you a closit fishermen?
You seem to be an intelligent bloke, so you decide.
it seems I have been misquoted
This is new, I think you have misquoted yourself?

W5RAY

Post by W5RAY »

Dave McCraw wrote:If I want a bit of a longer ride to work, I can go via a disused railway that has been converted into a cycle path. One of the main things that spoils it is people who insist on walking their dogs without keeping them on a short lead.

I mean, I don't want to hit the dog any more than the dog would appreciate being speared by a hundred kilos at 20mph. The annoying thing is though that the dog walkers always give *me* a dirty look, as though somehow they don't appreciate that while they can still walk their dog while keeping it under control, I can't ride on the path without being on the path...

It always strikes me that cyclists and kayakers share many of the same troubles (from drivers and anglers).
Dave - are you sure you are supposed to be riding your bike at 20mph on a FOOTPATH? A 100kilo's??? Man you need to get a lighter bike!!!
Robert Surrey wrote:This is one of my favourite threads on here for a long time.
I'm in agreement with Steve B here.
Whilst I love animals in general the selfish actions of some irresponsible dog owners really give all dog owners a bad name.
If the original poster had his dogs under control (and calling them back after the event isn't the same as being under control) instead of letting them bound mindlessly into the anglers swim then I doubt very much there would have been any confrontation.
Selfish dog owners??? Come on please! I'm not selfish, I just think the world revolves around my dog and me! We are after all the centre of the universe! ;-)
GumGum wrote:
W5RAY wrote:I thought this was a paddling website and for attacking fisherpeople
Yup, it's a paddling website. But I don't think its objectives include attacking fisherpeople. Unlike those anglers who are abusive and intolerant (obviously not all), I think general attitudes on this forum suggest that when it comes to (non-abusive) fisherman, the vast majority of paddlers would very happily live and let live.

As it happens I was out (in the sea) last night fishing in my kayak - caught 11 plump mackerel, very tasty!
Dom
GumGum - that statement was sarcasm!
Although to read this forum one could not help getting that impression sometimes.
Personally (IMHO) if people want to fish then let them, if people want to kayak or canoe then cool, if people want to ride their bike on footpaths and the like then great, if people want to walk their dogs on or off the lead then awesome - so to all and everyone of us - show some compassion and respect for your fellow beings - be nice and the chances are they will be nice back........................................................
if not then draw a line and go for some good old fashioned fisticuffs, be a man and stand up for your self, stop whining and playing at handbags.......................
or if you are lucky enough to be the owner of a very large dog send him - "see 'em off Rover!" or to really wind up some people get your little puppy to howl like the wind! :0(
ianletton wrote:A wise man once said a couple of wise things that I like to remind myself of every once in a while:
“If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.”
“Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against.”
Happy boating everyone.

Ian

P.s. I hate cats!
Ian appears to have his cake on the right plate - but man I can't believe you don't like cats! What's up with this world!!!

Ray

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

if people want to ride their bike on footpaths
That'll be why they are glaring at you - you're supposed to be on the bridleway (with the horse poo!)

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Ted, just before heading out for his daily routine of sh*tting everywhere and inflicting slaughter on the local rodent population...

He really is an evil vicious little bastard. But he also likes snuggling up in my lap (as he is indeed doing right now), so I can forgive him anything.

Back to the thread topic - could the aggressiveness and anger of some anglers be linked to the dullness of the activity itself?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

Dave McCraw wrote:If I want a bit of a longer ride to work, I can go via a disused railway that has been converted into a cycle path.
Cycle path is the clue here!

So I would say that a cyclist is quite entitled to be on a cycle path. I would also say 20mph is a respectable speed to be cycling at. Also I am thinking it is somewhere in Scotland where folk on bikes, horses, kayaks and walkers have the right to access all sorts of places that are taboo or illegal in other less lucky countries.

To the dog walkers take your shit home! and if you want to let the dog swim in a canal or river have a bit of respect of the other water users.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy »

naefearjustbeer wrote:So I would say that a cyclist is quite entitled to be on a cycle path.
Similalry a friend of mine was moving his (soon to be) father-in-laws barge near leeds a few summers ago, when he was met by a torrent of abuse from a fisherman. My friend politely pointed out why the canal was put there in the first place - though not sure I would have been so polite about it!

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

W5RAY wrote: if not then draw a line and go for some good old fashioned fisticuffs, be a man and stand up for your self, stop whining and playing at handbags....................... Ray
.......but don't forget you might break something, and have to miss weeks of paddling!

Janet

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

could the aggressiveness and anger of some anglers be linked to the dullness of the activity itself?
Well, some football fans are more aggressive & angry than rugby fans...alternatively it could be the disappointment rather than the dullness!

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die »

I love my dog. I'm currently composing a song about him, using "don't stop believing" that song from glee i think.
Andy

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Dude,

That's grim, we didn't need that.
Martin

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

This thread has actually had me laughing pout loud brilliant stuff.

I live between two farms and am surrounded by public footpathsso lots and lots of dog walkers.
The blue bag (hand warmer :-$) thing is an issue. It stems from two things.
People picking up their dog's crap as someoen is wathcing them then slinging it.
People who do the right thing pick up the popp then realise they will be carrying the bag of crap for the next 5 miles.

Ho hum.

As for fishermen and the anger issues: Away from rivers (where it's stoked by the whole access issue) I arranged a 'try kayaking day' for people in my old office. Great day marred only by a group of fishermen telling some of the group to F*** Off as they had srayed too near the lines.
For me I would think actually having something to do like reel the line out and recast would be a benifit over sitting there watching a bit of cat gut vanish into the sea....

Jim: Tips for catching Mackerel: Dip something shiney and pointey into the water and move it at a slowish speed.
They are deeply unhappy fish. Seemingly ending it all at any available time.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

W5RAY wrote:Dave - are you sure you are supposed to be riding your bike at 20mph on a FOOTPATH? A 100kilo's??? Man you need to get a lighter bike!!!
Well, they didn't tarmac it to increase the speed of pedestrians!

20mph is actually my target average for riding *up* the hill from work, so I could go a fair bit quicker down it, but I think it's antisocial (and a bit irresponsible) to zip past people at 35 :)

As ever, it's conflicting uses that are to blame. Dog walkers want to get on there and have a chilled out time letting their dog roam without it getting hit by a car. Bikers want it as an arterial transport corridor - five miles across central Edinburgh with no traffic lights, junctions or stop signs. Typically these two things are not that compatible.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

One of my sons used to do that sort of thing, I think they call it trials.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

Well, it's hardly newsworthy that if you paint a cycle lane through busy on-street parking bays, that people will often park in them.

In fact you could go as far as saying that useful cycle lanes are like kayak-loving anglers associations...

AdurYakker

Post by AdurYakker »

Steve B wrote:
W5RAY wrote:Perhaps the tone of your post should be notched down a bit and directed at irresponsible dog owners rather than all of us!
Ray, that was toned down considerably from what I might have said. What really bothers me - because it is actually the root cause of the problem - is the attitude of many dog owners who think it is up to me and people like me to be more tolerant. Your cruelly in-bred, distorted caricatures of real dogs are treated like children who can do no wrong. The opening post is typical - his dogs are allowed to run loose, and his idea of "under control" is that they will theoretically come back to him if he calls. No wonder those fishermen were angry - think how much angrier they would be if they knew he had followed up on his irresponsible dog ownership by trying to take the moral high ground on a paddling forum? Bloody idiot.

Today I cycled through a small local park in the middle of the morning, where I saw several people exercising dogs in the same area that will have been full of children playing this afternoon.

On Sunday, I was sitting on the bank of a local amenity pond (photographing dragonflies as it happens) when I was assailed from behind by a Staff, something that looked like a husky, and a third smaller dog. As I jumped up - mainly to protect my camera gear - I saw the owner looking directly at us but he did absolutely nothing. The last time I was at the same spot a few weeks ago, exactly the same thing happened.

Three or four weeks ago I was at a different local pond; there was a young woman sunbathing a short distance away. A dog which the owner no doubt would say was "under control" ran over to her and basically leapt on top of her. It must have frightened the living daylights out of her.

I live on a modern estate of mostly large expensive houses - hardly the local sink estate - yet it might as well be as far as barking dogs are concerned. Owners don't seems to think that the strangled sound of their dear little Yorkshire terrier barking incessantly is a problem.

A few weeks ago I watched someone whose dog was swimming in the canal, actually encouraging the dog to chase ducks.

Are all dog owners irresponsible? No, of course not, just
Mark R wrote:just a worryingly significant proportion.
Hmmm, I think you should TONE IT DOWN, it seems you agree that not all dogs and owners are irresponsible, reflect that in your post.
You should also consider that much worse things could be happening to you, and it seems as if you are determined to be pissed of by insignificant things. I'm guessing you haven't owned a dog? Maybe you should try it.
Want to face a real problem ?
Go to afghanistan (or east London) and re-evaluate your view on life, be positive for god sake, better a dog jumping on you than a bloke with a knife who wants your wallet.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Please note
the majority of posters on forums are just trying to wind up other users
Mike

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

AdurYakker wrote:Hmmm, I think you should TONE IT DOWN, it seems you agree that not all dogs and owners are irresponsible, reflect that in your post.
You should also consider that much worse things could be happening to you, and it seems as if you are determined to be pissed of by insignificant things. I'm guessing you haven't owned a dog? Maybe you should try it.
Want to face a real problem ?
Go to afghanistan (or east London) and re-evaluate your view on life, be positive for god sake, better a dog jumping on you than a bloke with a knife who wants your wallet.
Interesting. You can't defend the indefensible, so instead you question my right to express a view about it. Your comparison between nuisance dog owners and the things which are happening in Afghanistan is facile, immature and insulting.

You have a long way to go, and a great deal of growing up to do, before you can argue on an equal footing with me.

And DON'T SHOUT, I'm not deaf.
Steve Balcombe

evolvedlight

Post by evolvedlight »

Kayak-Bloke wrote:
Jim: Tips for catching Mackerel: Dip something shiney and pointey into the water and move it at a slowish speed.
They are deeply unhappy fish. Seemingly ending it all at any available time.
A cheap setup is to buy:
1 Crab Line (£3)
Some fishing line (£6 but you can make several setups with it)
1 Set of lures/hooks (£2)
1 5oz weight (£0.90)

Cut off enough crab line that you can hold the crab line easily with one hand.
Then lie loads of fishing line on
Then attach the hooks
Then the weight.

Then, paddle out to sea a bit, then let down line until it hits the bottom, and then a bit more.
Paddle along further until you get a bite. Haul it up, and you have fish. Repeat until you have enough.
With 4 lines, we caught about 30 fish in 15 minutes. Easy food!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”