Leh and Ladakh River Advice

Inland paddling
Penelope Pitstop

Leh and Ladakh River Advice

Post by Penelope Pitstop » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi all,
Headng to India at the start of August, up towards Leh and Ladakh. Thinking of trying to do the Doda Zanskar, and have had the Pinn suggested to us as a nice multiday. Was wondering if any body else had any other suggestions or thoughts - I'm confident on grade 3, but due to recent confidence issues tend to get a bit nervous on grade 4,, especially on big volume.

Thanks.
Sarah

Mark R

Re: Leh and Ladakh River Advice

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Pin is in the uttermost end of nowhere (interesting in itself) and the bit we explored was pretty much flat - half a days' paddling. Much more upstream of the road though, if you want to carry in...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dug

Post by Dug » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm

We were over there last year, its a great place! Was the end of July/Start of August and VERY hot, the Zanskar gorge was def not a nice G3 when I was high!
Sections of the Indus above the Zanskar confulence (but not to far above!) are a nice G2/3 paddle, we did part of that for a warm up.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Dug wrote:the Zanskar gorge was def not a nice G3 when I was high!
Huh? I assume there is a typo in there...

...BUT my second run down the Zanskar was indeed with an American who was completely off his head for the duration, making me less than confident in our safety and more crucially, making conversation unbelievably boring. The phrase, "Yee ha f**king Zans-kar" begins to wear thin, when the stoned idiot has yelled it for the 900th time that morning...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 pm

PS Indus upstream of the main valley (from Mahe bridge) is a great non-heroic 2 day roadside grade 4 paddle; that's my vague memory from 1998, anyway...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:37 am

Mark R wrote:PS Indus upstream of the main valley (from Mahe bridge) is a great non-heroic 2 day roadside grade 4 paddle; that's my vague memory from 1998, anyway...
The top 10km is flat, but from 10km downstream of Mahe Bridge it's nice!! There is an almost-riverwide-hole in there somewhere that we (and more recently other teams) have had issues with. I think it'd be easy enough to portage, but it's hard to see until you're in it... :-)

Agreed that the Pin is a long way to go if that's the only river you want to do, and it can't be much more that 20miles in length, making it a bit short for a multiday. Never gets above grade 3 though, if that's what you're after. I suppose you might be able to do a bit more than we did, but from memory not a great deal. If you have a map I can point out where we put on and work it out from there...

Anyways, the Pin is a trib of the Spiti and I spent a week or so exploring the Spiti valley in 2008, so if you have any specific quesitons then I'll do my best to answer them!! In fact, the Spiti would be a better contender for a multiday than the Pin, though it does have a long flat section... and some rapids are certainly more than grade 3.

http://patrickclissold.wordpress.com/20 ... ti-valley/
http://www.teampyranha.com/2008/08/10/e ... ti-valley/
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Dug

Post by Dug » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Mark R wrote:
Ha yep, that was meant to read when It was high!

Joe Pineapples

Post by Joe Pineapples » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Dug wrote:
Mark R wrote:
Ha yep, that was meant to read when It was high!

pa !!! that was no typo ... lol
Live your dreams , do not dream your life ......

shalabhgahlaut

Post by shalabhgahlaut » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:37 am

The Indus from the weir at Karu (45 kms) till Phey is a class 2 and very pretty, from Phey to Nimu the next 20 kms are easy class 3.
I would further suggest to spend at least a few days paddling the lower rafting section of the Zanskar to get used to the seething mass of boils and the large volume. Once you are comfortable with paddling the lower section down from Chilling you can safely head towards Zanskar and put in on the multiday trip.
I can vouch for the kayakers at Splash adventures, Sangrup & Tsering are excellent company, very easy going but solid paddlers. Also anyone comfortable with the lower section will definitely be fine on the expedition, the lower section having the most amount of whitewater.

Spiti & the Pin valley are rather far, a pain to get to, devoid of much infrastructure and with a definite lack of boating company.

The Zanskar can rise and fall pretty quick due to the rare rain clouds from the monsoon that make it across the main himalayan ridge to trans himalayan Ladakh, if you are not very tight on time wait for clear weather and make a dash for it.

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 am

I do hope you've not got caught up in this... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10889385

Good luck.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”