Rain

Inland paddling
jmmoxon

Re: Rain

Post by jmmoxon »

7mm over Lands End so far this morning, but hasn't reached Dartmoor yet - going to be touch & go whether enough falls...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

3.4mm at Plymouth Uni gauge by 8.30am, still none at Dartcom - actually just started at 8.40am - 0.6mm & Plymouth up by 0.4mm.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Rain seems to have stopped in Plymouth at 4.2mm, Dartcom now 1.2mm, not looking promising...

morsey

Post by morsey »

I thought it was not looking promising days ago when the biggest forecast was saying 10mm spread over the day! Another caving day for you Mike! :-(

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Yeah, but I never rely on metcheck for amounts, metoffice still looked hopeful yesterday but not as promising as it did at the weekend :-(

Mike

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete »

No sign of an end to the current spell of unsettled weather so may be plenty of rain coming but much of it in the form of showers.

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Mike - Can you post the link for the Plymouth Uni rain gauge, I cannot find it anymore.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

There's been some really heavy showers in the north east - at the moment only the swale is showing any water (0.92m at 18:15 - high!) - I suspect other rivers may be up by the morning, if anyone wants to go paddling let me know!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

South Wales was running tonight (but I was working)

Mike

Wildswimmer Pete

For anyone wanting to see any summer weather, next week looks horrendous. The by now familiar cold Northerly will be back with complex low-pressure areas over or near the UK. Daytime temps could be pegged back to the low teens - remember, mid-July is the warmest time of the summer with normal temps expected in the mid 20s. To compound the misery it's expected to be wet as well as cold. While I know rain is welcome, an early taste of Autumn certainly isn't - especially in those parts of the UK still awaiting the arrival of summer.

Wildswimmer Pete

Wildswimmer Pete

Heads-up for Scotland

Met Office has issued a weather warning covering Sat and Sun for heavy rain to affect the Highlands and Grampian areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... nings.html

Wildswimmer Pete

Wildswimmer Pete

Looks as though this week is representative of what's to come with the start of the school holidays coinciding with the worst of so far of a dismal "summer". No sign of anything like summery weather for the foreseeable future and if anything rainfall could be above average.

Wildswimmer Pete

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Wildswimmer Pete wrote:Looks as though this week is representative of what's to come with the start of the school holidays coinciding with the worst of so far of a dismal "summer". No sign of anything like summery weather for the foreseeable future and if anything rainfall could be above average.

Wildswimmer Pete
Great! I've done more kayaking in the last two weeks than the whole of the rest of the year!

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Jim Pullen wrote:
Wildswimmer Pete wrote:Looks as though this week is representative of what's to come with the start of the school holidays coinciding with the worst of so far of a dismal "summer". No sign of anything like summery weather for the foreseeable future and if anything rainfall could be above average.

Wildswimmer Pete
Great! I've done more kayaking in the last two weeks than the whole of the rest of the year!
But the Tees still seems to be dropping! Do a rain dance for me, i'd like to have some water for my first river in about two months! ;)

Wildswimmer Pete

Andrew Battye wrote: But the Tees still seems to be dropping! Do a rain dance for me, I'd like to have some water for my first river in about two months! ;)
The low responsible for the weekend's drenching looks like parking itself in the North Sea, with plenty of showers in its circulation. NE England could see most of those showers. ;-)

Wildswimmer Pete

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Wildswimmer Pete wrote:
Andrew Battye wrote: But the Tees still seems to be dropping! Do a rain dance for me, I'd like to have some water for my first river in about two months! ;)
The low responsible for the weekend's drenching looks like parking itself in the North Sea, with plenty of showers in its circulation. NE England could see most of those showers. ;-)

Wildswimmer Pete
Well as long as it does it before tomorrow evening then i'm happy :)

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Capel Curig rain gauge shows 35mm in last 6 hours, 60 in last 12 & 82mm in last 24 hours - if that's correct then Snowdonia must be awash...

it must have - the EA gauge in Betws shows the Conwy has risen 2.5m overnight...

South Wales rivers are more sensibly paddleable levels.

Mike

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Andrew,

The Tees is up at a runable level, clickty-click: http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/l ... rd-Castle/ The EA guages are showing lots of movement too this morning, look at the Rawthay amongst others http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... verlevels/

Peter

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Looks like everything's up in the NE.

Swale currently massive!

Damn work!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Tavy webcam shows the river is now up & a car with a Red Nomad just drove over the bridge towards Dartmoor...

Mike

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye »

Jim Pullen wrote:Looks like everything's up in the NE.

Swale currently massive!

Damn work!
The day i go back to college it chucks it down, typical!

Wildswimmer Pete

Thought it may be a good idea to resurrect this thread, I only stopped posting because I was silly enough to have a stroke. During the intervening years if anything the Great(?) British "Summer" has become increasingly vile. Still got the very same problem five years later: the polar jet stream just south of the UK with the Atlantic Conveyor in overdrive delivering low after low. No Spanish plumes so far this year, unless I blinked and missed one. It's always a case of "jam tomorrow" - the warm weather is always promised in 3-4 days time before it's batted out of the way by yet another (censored) low.

I've been model watching for quite a while and the main models are in almost total disagreement, completely flipping over 24hrs. It's a sign the atmosphere is in a turbulent condition and while meteorologists don't really know why, I'm still putting my money on a Grand Minimum. Since that warm spell end of May and beginning of June at least my neck of the woods has been experiencing conditions more like late October. It's bloody raining now!

Currently we're being promised jam for the weekend - a Spanish plume. The plume was progged over this past weekend, it was batted away on Monday, and now it's back. If that happens it might lead to paddle heaven: rivers up, warm and sunny.

....................until everything flips tomorrow!

Wildswimmer Pete

Wildswimmer Pete

Well, today's micro heatwave was a nice present given the past few weeks of this hitherto dismal summer, with overnight minima possibly >20C. However we have all the ingredients for a couple of days' fireworks as cooler air comes into conflict with the mini Spanish plume of hot air covering us. At 8pm the temp even in Glasgow is 25C, while here my garden sensor maxed at 36C.

The jet stream is still far too south from where it should be, still covering the north of the UK however England and Wales are still in the warmer air. There is now a risk of heavy thunderstorms that could dump enough rain to cause flash flooding and sudden rising of vulnerable rivers (in my area the Irwell amongst others) so if paddling the next couple of days keep an eye on local forecasts. There is also a thread advising what to do should you be caught on the water during a thunderstorm. Given the current conditions a T-storm cell could develop over you with little warning.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 1&p=646824

Wildswimmer Pete

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”