Dumfries... any good?

Inland paddling
banzer

Dumfries... any good?

Post by banzer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:50 pm

I may be offered a short-term job in Dumfries (Newton Stewart or something)..... does it get any rain in July? Do the rivers come up or do they need loads? Is there any surf? Do the local boaters speak in a language the rest of us understand- all I remember is stuff about cubes and lugars and crees, very strange ;-) ?

Cheers,
Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

flashollie

Re: Dumfries... any good?

Post by flashollie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Not sure about the boating but get a bike. The 7 Stanes are fantastic!
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/ACHS-5RNEEV

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Only paddled there once when I went there for biking and it rained loads.

I'm by no means an authority on the subject, but my take on it is that yes, there are some great rivers there, but that they need more rain than the runs around fort bill to be worthwhile. As for whether it'll get any rain - your guess is as good as mine?!

As above, the biking is pretty awesome :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:32 am

Banzer, Cubes and Lugar are a bit further North, Newton Stuart is at least an hour past them. The key runs right on your doorstep would be the Cree and Minnoch which confluence just outside Newton Stuart. Both need a good bit of rain, but like the rest of the west coast, the mountains of the southwestern badlands can get that in the middle of summer. I think you will also be close to the Doon (Ness Glen) which has a dam and might work in the summer, otherwise there are a myriad of burns down that way and over towards the Nith (Dumfries way) - you will find a lot of them in the guidebook part of the website with Bob Evan's name in the credits.

Do you have a mountain bike? Kirroughtree is pretty close, Dalbeattie and Mabie not much further. If you like a technically easier but long distance route there is a sort of trail (partly uses the roads) in Glentrool (Minnoch) that runs for around 50 miles, which I wouldn't mind a crack at one day. If you like red and black stick to the other three - some good friction slabs at Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree (I wussed out of them).

Otherwise borrow a sea kayak and ask around on the sea forum - plenty of Solway regulars there, although Douglas is still recovering from his op. Mull of Galloway sounds like a good place to mix up river and sea paddling skills, active discussion at the moment about how the tides work there.

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:51 am

Ah genius... I hadn't thought of sea kayaking. I have one gathering cobwebs in Fort Bill.

Biking is definitely on the agenda if I get the job. And let's hope for the odd summer spate. I took a summer job in Devon a few years ago hoping to get some Dartmoor runs in and I can't remember it raining once!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

il eat my hat if it doesnt rain in D&G this summer! my folks stay that way not too far to go to the lakes think some good runs there too

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:28 pm

il eat my hat if it doesnt rain in D&G this summer!
Would that be a Sweet helmet? Of course you won't be too far from Scotland there...;-)

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Joobe

Post by Joobe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:22 pm

There is some stuff about, it's all fairly rain dependant, but I got a fair few runs done in Cumbria last summer. The Doon runs all summer (I think) and is an enjoyable run, not particularly challenging.

If there's some rain about, I'd be up for paddling, and I live at Carlisle so you could hit me up if you need someone to paddle with.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:00 am

May want to start seasoning that hat - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou ... 368223.stm
and oil the bike.

andy

Post by andy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:28 pm

The Nith (runs through Dumfries) is well worth a paddle. It does need some rain but is usually reliable for a day afterwards

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Does Dumfires get water in July? In the dryest season we've had in years?

The local boaters 'generally' speak in west coast Scots...so a bit differnt to that of the anglo-highlands.

Surf....erm, have you looked at a map? Kitesurf however and you're based near some of the best beaches around.

The rivers that do come up with rain are generally better and harder than the Orchy. The Minnoch being one of the best rivers in Scotland, the Cubes being one of the funnest. The Nith runs very often if not all year round and if you can playboat you'll find ample places to have fun.
The Ayr has one of the best waves in Scotland when in flood and the Doon offers a reliable dam fed park and huck G4 rapid plentiful short section.

There is a plethora of first descents to look at and not paddle as well as a whole host of alternatives not yet mentioned.

The people are as friendly as you'll ever meet and the nearby area has jointly produced some of the best paddlers in the world today.

Phew...not sure if that's any good or not?
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:36 pm

What is the "Cubes"? Can't find it in the guide here and the SCA guide is at home. Never heard of it!?

Phil

DAB

Post by DAB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:18 pm

BigPhil wrote:What is the "Cubes"? Can't find it in the guide here and the SCA guide is at home. Never heard of it!?

Phil
Cubes has another name but i dont think it is in the guide book.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:33 pm

DAB wrote:
BigPhil wrote:What is the "Cubes"? Can't find it in the guide here and the SCA guide is at home. Never heard of it!?

Phil
Cubes has another name but I dont think it is in the guide book.
Glenmuir water, and it is in the guides here for certain.

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Ryan P wrote:Does Dumfires get water in July? In the dryest season we've had in years?

The local boaters 'generally' speak in west coast Scots...so a bit differnt to that of the anglo-highlands.

Surf....erm, have you looked at a map? Kitesurf however and you're based near some of the best beaches around.

The rivers that do come up with rain are generally better and harder than the Orchy. The Minnoch being one of the best rivers in Scotland, the Cubes being one of the funnest. The Nith runs very often if not all year round and if you can playboat you'll find ample places to have fun.
The Ayr has one of the best waves in Scotland when in flood and the Doon offers a reliable dam fed park and huck G4 rapid plentiful short section.

There is a plethora of first descents to look at and not paddle as well as a whole host of alternatives not yet mentioned.

The people are as friendly as you'll ever meet and the nearby area has jointly produced some of the best paddlers in the world today.

Phew...not sure if that's any good or not?
International renowned cuisine, sexist women in the uk, rubbish rugby team...
White water "rider"

Dug

Post by Dug » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Basically it is good there and I'd def rate the Minnoch as being one of the best rivers I've ever paddled! Its very unpredictable with water levels etc, if the job is for a few months go for it and you might get lucky!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”