Where am I?

Inland paddling
GaryM

Where am I?

Post by GaryM »

I was away recently and came across this hidden gem. From here this sidestream drops almost 70 metres in 1.5 km down to the main river, and the map says there are 5 waterfalls along the way. We did not scramble down to look at them, but this may be a first descent for someone, unless you know different. You can see the section above the run in from Google Streetview with a bit more water, but I would image you would not want too much more than that level to make it exciting. Any ideas where this is?

The run-in:

The exit:

The drop:
Gary Mascall

Poke

Re: Where am I?

Post by Poke »

Well, I'll volunteer a safe guess: Scotland?!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Yes, Scotland, but it's a big place for a small river.
Gary Mascall

Jim

Post by Jim »

I was thinking upper Ba from the gorge shot but the strata is not angled enough.

Is it the burn Alex C one told me about that drops off the Black mount towards Loch Tulla? (i.e. dead close to the Ba but going the opposite way).

Jim

Post by Jim »

On second thoughts, Glascarnoch? If so I'm amazed there is water.

tfraser

Post by tfraser »

Ben Eighe,or maybe up round Kinlochewe where there are a number of similar runs?Torq

Jim

Post by Jim »

Can't help feeling the hillside in the background of the second photo looks familiar.
I think it's one of the hills around Loch Tulla, but maybe it's looking accross the upper Etive (looking above the Kingshouse, but not necessarily from upstream on the main Etive).

So:
Is it the burn that runs past Glencoe Ski Centre, quite close to (crossing under) the A82 over a series of drops and then joins the Etive close to the Kingshouse?
I've often thought there must be something on that burn, but have never even heard it given a name, let alone talk of anyone actually running it. I'd be surprised if such an obvious thing hadn't been run.

Nope, checking on google streetview tells me I'm all wrong so far.

David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Jim wrote: Is it the burn that runs past Glencoe Ski Centre, quite close to (crossing under) the A82 over a series of drops and then joins the Etive close to the Kingshouse?
I've often thought there must be something on that burn, but have never even heard it given a name, let alone talk of anyone actually running it. I'd be surprised if such an obvious thing hadn't been run.
There are 2 that come in from the left of the road (heading north) and flow into the Etive at the Kingshouse. Both are a giggle but there are better things to be doing if there is that much water kicking about. Think I've only heard of one other group paddling them...

As for the pictures, I'd say definately west coast around the orchy, etive area but not sure beyond that.
Life is too short to drink bad wine!

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Did you get these pics off the Stirling forum a while back?

Won't ruin the wezzit, but the feedback from those who've run it are mixed.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

No, so far everyone is too far south, river runs east to west before dropping into the valley, then heads north into Loch ...........
This is way north of the Great Glen, much further north and the water gets salty.

Ryan, no I took these myself last Sunday whilst out for a drive around with relatives.
Gary Mascall

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

OK, so no-one managed to guess it.

This is the Allt na Feithe Buidhe, on the single track road from Altnaharra to Hope up in Sutherland.

Looking downstream from the bridge this is the view, and this is looking across at the top of the drop.
It was interesting, as most of the streams running down both sides of Strath More are remote from the road, and this one was so accessible, both from the get in, and get out lower down off a track. I'm sure someone will have run it, but would be chance to get some water in it at a suitable level.
There are other "one hit wonders" on the road from Helmsdale to Melvich as well. I did get photos of one a few years ago with loads of water which looked quite hairy.

Cheers,
Gary Mascall

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”