Inland paddling
Conned

Re: Peter Berry, Taz, John, Keady, Kernow, James / Jay Smith

Post by Conned » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 pm

As recently as March!

river12

Post by river12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

The more I find out the more I wonder how he finds the time to cover his tracks, do all this sport and date multiple women. I think the truth of the matter is he uses his hobbies as a ruse/ excuse so he can go off an meet other people. I am now pretty convinced he was doing that the whole time he was with me. The urgent business meetings at 8pm and suddenly having to up and leave! What a messed up way to live your life!!

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I don't have anything to report but I also don't want this to just 'go away'. I am aware that local and national news agencies have been contacted about our fraud friend James Smith / Jay Smith. I don't know if he is still preying on the kayak community or if he has moved fully on to badminton or beach volleyball in the Bognor Regis, Brighton, Littlehampton, south coast or Chichester areas. But as content is key on the internet, I just wanted to review his actions as he fraudulently preys on business women in their 30's and 40's and finds a way in to their hearts and purses.
I encourage people to keep talking about it and getting the word out there, he deserves nothing good and if I can help that I am happy to.
Oh, and 'James', 'Jay', 'Jason'... if you are in fact reading this as you sit somewhere with your iPad and your stupid little rucksack full of lies; I know you won't care what I or anyone else thinks because you believe you are above it all. In the end though, you're just a d*ck.

river12

Post by river12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Outdoor I totally agree, this needs to remain topical for the good of other women out there who may decide to investigate him further and come across the thread. I am glad to see it is heading for 11,000 hits and that the papers are getting a hold of the story. Public exposure in that regard is probably the only true way to spread the word more widely.

I have a message for this name confused individual myself....

'No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place.'

I think you are existing as a free man on borrowed time my friend.

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here and I'm not a paddler but when I searched for Jay Smith I found my way here...
I met the horrid man in August 2012 through plenty of fish dating site, he was using the ID watermaw. I didn't give him money but instead paid for everything, bought things when he said he'd repay me but of course he never did....
I was strung a web of lies by him and now wish that his stupid boat would sink with him wedged inside!!!
He is indeed a very dangerous man, I was deceived which is most unusual...
He was involved somehow with a company called "chilly warranty" or something like that in Chichester way.... I'm from Essex.
Hopefully he will be caught up with again.
Stay strong everyone :0)

river12

Post by river12 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi worried sick, I am glad you have found out about him albeit now. As you can see, he has quite the colourful past! I was also involved with him over the past 12 months and so we are all in the same boat (excuse the pun!) He is a sick individual and is likely to be dating obsessively at the moment. We have all contacted the police and I urge you to do so also, the more we report him the more likely it will be that the authorities catch up with him

I believe he still works for chilly warranty services and is now hounding women in the Brighton area no doubt. The bloke is a total free loader

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi River,
It now explains to me why he was so evasive about everything. I'm not sure how going to the police will help? Personally I'd rather just never have anything to do with him ever again.... I can't believe that I fell for his stories

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am

Hello Worried, I understand why you may not want to go to the police. The more reports they get though, the more they can track his activity. I remember in the fall last year he was telling me that he was going to Essex to see 'friends' quite often on the weekends, I guess that was you.
It only takes a quick email to the Sussex police and perhaps filling out a fraud form online. I know how you feel - you don't want to spend any more time on it than you already have, but just think of those he is involved with now and those who he may be in the future.
Take care of yourself.

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm

It is all gathered as 'intelligence' apparently so it is worth approaching the police, even if he has not committed a crime against you per se. As I said before, I have no idea how many women he has duped since last year but it has to have run into the dozens by now, we are a mere snapshot I feel . I wondered why he made ad hoc visits to Essex also, what a tangled messed up web he has woven.

Cheers

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:30 pm

I think I'm a believer in what goes around comes around....I bought him things and allowed him to stay into home when he visited this way.....thankfully we were not in the full throws of an intimate relationship so I don't have to worry on that front.
I felt that he was lieing to me but I simply thought that he was a player although he did try the 'I've left my wallet in a petrol station" line......I simply gave him a packed lunch to go paddling with and didn't give him any money :0)

He tried to play "forfeit" games with me and this I feel was a type of conditioning to make me want to please him, I'm not sure if you ladies found the same thing.... I also was fed the "I love you" line....
I truly believe that one day his time will come, I for one have sent massages to everyone that I can recal as being his friends on Facebook in the hope of alerting them and preventing further abuse...
His net is closing, of that I'm sure....

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey worried sick, I think you are right and the net is closing.

You know he turned up on a couple of paddles on a Sat morning claiming he had spent the night number crunching with his business partner in Essex and that his business partner's wife had made him the packed lunch box he turned up with. What a noob he is.

I think his time is limited, despite him thinking he is clever and above the law he is not at all and his downfall will be a hard one. I, for one, cannot wait to witness it.

He used the 'I love you' as a form of control and to get you where he wanted you. He did the exact same with me, everything about Mr Liar Liar is about what he can get. Nice one for being so savvy, he also pulled the 'I've left my wallet here and there' line and I simply said 'I have no money either!' Stale mate :)

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi River,
It's kind of creepy that he could go to such lengths to deceive.
When I first met him he drove a green Peugeot and then changed it to a red alpha Romeo but that was the last I saw of him as I lost my patience and tore him off a strip or 2...
Number crunching....hehe....if that's what he calls it when you have to listen to his repulsive body noises!!!
Anyhow, we are all rid of him thankfully and hopefully people will see through him each time, the web helps with all of this info as long as its kept up to date.... I may still have his number and address somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it on iCloud.
Thank you for posting so much, you have made me feel so much better with the realisation of what he really is!!

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Totally creepy and I agree entirely, we need to keep up with this thread especially and ensure that as many women have access to up to date information as possible. Many of us have worked hard to spread the word in various ways over a period of a few months now, rest assured that awareness of him is now at a crescendo I think. There are certain things going on in the background also that could trip him up badly.

It is a shame we cannot pin him down on the dating web sites, clipping his wings in that way would be perfect but it is the perfect place for him to groom women and he is hard to trace as a) he can use fake emails and ID's b) he can hide his profile and c) he can say what he wants!

That is the inherent danger of internet dating, we have all experienced a crash course in it sadly!

Cheers

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi again river,
I recall a while back seeing an advert on pof which had unite a handsome male pic and the profile gave a warning about certain males..... I guess that's always a way to spread the word??

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 pm

There are certain websites where you can effectively 'out' people like him and I have tried to search for a few, if you are able to find that link?

Conned

Post by Conned » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Worried and River12,

I found that link and have also messaged the guy so it is already on the pof website. The man in question met his now partner on there but was so appalled with people/creeps she'd come across that he wanted to name and shame these users. He invites people to message if they have had an experience like this. I messaged him about 6 weeks ago and he posted a warning about this monster.

Please, please, please anyone reading this DO contact the police to make them aware that he is operating in your area and Action Fraud so that they can compile their database and send the information out to police stations all over the UK. He is still driving around in the black VW 'pimp mobile or devil kayak' van as he calls it with the private plate that looks like kayak and chrome side rails etc. He's hardly incognito and is so unconcerned about getting caught it seems.

If anyone is reading these threads and is thinking 'he can't be that bad' or 'he seems ok and has said he's starting afresh' please do not trust what he says. There is only ONE person that this man cares about and that is HIM. He has no empathy for anyone else and cares not what he does or who he hurts. The true sign of a psychopath. Please do not get taken in by him, avoid at all costs. Police advice is to cut contact immediately if you are involved with him and if scared for your safety ring them on 101.

He will put a foot wrong and will end up straight back where he came from finishing his sentence.

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm

I can only endorse what you say Conned, the man is completely and utterly self obsessed; a narcissist in fact. He cares for no one, he will attempt to charm his way into your life and then bleed you dry both emotionally and possibly financially (if he still plans on taking money from people.)

Well done for passing on the details to that site etc....every little helps in this situation. Once women find out, few are prepared to rest on their laurels and want to see justice served.

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Thu May 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Perhaps someone unsuspecting woman is reading this and as mentioned previously, doesn't believe he is 'that bad'. It might help to hear some of the lies he has told as I think he repeats them. He is a boastful guy (often about things he hasn't done) including: a PhD from Harvard in engineering, 2 degrees in engineering and the claim that he is currently completing another as well as having an MBA. He recently helped a friend's son complete his Prince of Wales by walking 3/4 of the South Downs over the Easter weekend. In February, he went to Manchester with 'friends' who organise a trip every year and each of them takes a turn to organise. This time it was to see a football match.
He has many accolades in sailing and used to get paid to sail in Australia/New Zealand every year around Christmas time. He has a dog which lives with his mother in Cornwall. His father is dead (which is true I guess). He has a great relationship with his Mum and recently paid a couple thousand pounds to send her on a vacation with her friends. His sister is a manipulative b*tch and he has helped raise his niece(s) and nephew(s). By the by, did anyone ever see on his phone that he had a photo of 3 pieces of toast that had 'I {heart} you'? He said that was done for him by his niece. I suspect that was one of us? He owns a flat in Ashford, Kent. Late last year he was going to the Kent coast every weekend to coach kayaking. He spent a number of years living in Africa. He has been married only once and to a woman that said she was having his child only to discover that it was someone else's (I guess he forgot to mention that he has two ex-wives and a child!!!).
Oh, and the reason he is missing a tooth is because he first got hit in the face kayaking and then with a gun. Unfortunately, it wasn't my fist.

river12

Post by river12 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Ah yes outdoors, many of those sound familiar. He also said about being married when he was in his early twenties and duplicated that story but totally neglected to mention he had a teenage son somewhere in Kent!

He does have 2 dogs at his mother's in Cornwall although instead of treating her to holidays, I would say she is probably treating herself via her own credit cards. I watched him feign his mother's voice once to purchase something over the phone with HER credit card. From what I can tell, his sister was instrumental in him being caught out and she is fully aware of his past and what he does. He paints a poor picture of her that I don't think is accurate.
He did spend a lot of time in Kent last year, passing himself off as a qualified coach when...in fact....he has zero qualifications.

Did you hear the one about him doing a high altitude balloon jump in a space suit or when he was in the jungle somewhere training with the army? How about being a war photographer and being paid big money to photograph Pink and other artists? How's about he was being paid £1000 per day to consult with the America's cup sailing team on an ad hoc basis or that the American sailing team had offered him £25,000 to train them last summer? He could get pit tickets to the Grand Prix and that he was invited to BBC sports personality of the year as a guest. The crap goes on and on and on....

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Wow, no I never got the army bit or balloon jumping. I did get the photography thing though. What a character. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be entirely too laughable.

river12

Post by river12 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

It must be one big adventurous party in his head!

Siani

Post by Siani » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 pm

I heard everything that River12 said.. plus he lost his tooth and needed stitches (nose?) because he'd just done the Sydney Hobart race to Tasmania and had been thrown around on deck. He said his boat came in first (line honours), though he wouldn't tell me which one he was in til after the race.

I don't know why he put up with me, frankly. Because I kept telling him to his face he knew nothing about kayak design or hulls, and I thought he was quite amateurish. He told me he was moving from sailing to kayaking, so I chalked him off as an anxious newb.

Count myself as lucky I was never stolen from and I was never his lover. Most of the time he was very sweet to me, and a good friend... though I was always suspicious of him because he'd never be honest about who he was or what he did for a living. Like everyone here, I was shocked to learn the truth.

Conned

Post by Conned » Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 pm

What about the commuting to Australia for 6 months every weekend, The time he died and was given a death certificate only to be brought back to life in the helicopter or sailing the Fastnet race aged 11 when his parents thought he was at cub camp. Or perhaps all the properties he owns like the farm in Cornwall, the house in Sea Drive, the house in Lancing, the apartment in Crete. Or perhaps the fact that he was one of the most respected and qualified kayaking instructors in the country and had kayaked every major river in the world plus lived in New York, Singapore, Denmark etc etc etc. The stories of owning 5 or 6 businesses, it varied on which day you talked to him about it. The hundreds of god children that he was always picking up from school or taking bug hunting or taking up to London to the museums and then putting them up in a hotel etc. The tooth was lost in the French Alps down a rapid whilst giving mouth to mouth to a french girl who had drowned but he brought her back to life. All nonsense ...

river12

Post by river12 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Ugh he has built this fictional world around him that he is the centre of. Very, very sad. What he fails to realise is that now word has spread to such an extent again, there are few places for him to hide. Perhaps he has convinced himself that everyone else is delusional? He did a great job of turning things around on everyone but the tide is turning in this man's world and it is an ill tide at that.

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Ladies,
Having read this there are so many lies that I recognise, although he did tell me that he lost his tooth when being hit a tad too hard by a pirate!!! Exactly why did I allow him to feed these lies???
He turned up at my house with a brown envelope containing a quantity of cash, he said that he has been paid by a client, it was a large bundle of note which he said was £1000... I now dread to think who he defrauded this money from! He claimed to have severe asthma!! Oh also stated that he was part of the Olympic Irish sailing team?!!
How can we all have tolerated this excuse for a man???
Has anyone heard from him?

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 pm

One final thing......the people that I messaged on Facebook....not one replied so I don't know if he has fed them lies too....

Siani

Post by Siani » Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm jealous, ladies! I never got the pirates story!

Wonder if Johnny Depp himself knocked out Jay's tooth? You know, it wouldn't be just ANY pirate....

river12

Post by river12 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Right, the pirates one is a new one. Wow. Very odd, quite honestly I couldn't be bothered to keep up with lying so much to so many different people. It would be exhausting surely? I doubt he will contact anyone who is not current current as he will know that we know.

Conned

Post by Conned » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 pm

I never heard a pirate story either, just missing presumed dead a few times, dying at sea, pulling dead bodies out of the ocean, decapitation by a boom etc etc.

There were lots of death stories - a close friend of his who accidentally killed his own wife by pushing her on the path and she fell and hit her head. Supposedly he had to go and help with that amongst other far fetched, ridiculous dramas! I did ask him a couple of times if he was actually being serious and whether he expected me to believe him. In the end I just laughed at the stories as he started to try and tell another and in the end they stopped and he got cross with me telling me I was disrespectful!!!

Worried sick

Post by Worried sick » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I really do hope that he reads these posts and comes to realise that we are now laughing at him, he is the fool, not us!! We were deceived for a short period of time but but he will forever be lonely and ultimately a fool as he is his own undoing.
Ladies, we have done well as we can hold our heads up and move on in life, he will forever be looking over his shoulder!!!