Peter Berry Taz John Keady Jay Smith Waterboy Jonathan Johns

Inland paddling
river12

Re: Peter Berry, Taz, John, Keady, Kernow, James / Jay Smith

Post by river12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 am

He has 'Morgawr' on the side of his white Rockpool Taran kayak and has used that name elsewhere. He also uses Dowr a lot in his handles etc.

Fremantle1

Post by Fremantle1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am

He was using the name "watermaw" on the plenty of fish website at Christmas. And his email was Dowrmaw@gmail.com.

zec01

Post by zec01 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I recognise him, but can't place him but it would be around the Southend area

After reading all the posts, I am gob smacked that someone can behave in such a way and that
he is still being allowed to get away with it!

Please stay safe
If it hurts, you are still alive!

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 am

This just popped up - I can imagine it's use is for more than selling equipment

http://www.canoedle.co.uk/

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 am

Are you suggesting that this is the same guy?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:01 am

I just noticed that the name being used in the ads was J Smith, it could be perfectly legit of course,
but using the name J Smith rang alarm bells. As well as being a place to flog "acquired" gear it could be used to gain contact detail of women into paddling. I hope I am wrong but after reading this worrying thread thought I should post.

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 am

However the use of J Smith could have been an innocent unfortunate choice of dummy name.

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

Aren't the 'Upcoming Courses and Events' adverts just dummy entries for demo? The two 'for sale boxes' above appear to be - along with two actual items?

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

This guy is most certainly out there. He is driving a black VW van now with a license plate that is kay666k or something like this. He refers to it as 'the devil kayaks'. He also drives a red Alpha Romeo and lives in the Bognor Regis area. All of the posts seem to be pretty accurate in the things he says... broken back, many degrees including PhD from Harvard. He seems to be spending a lot of time playing badminton and beach volleyball in Brighton. If in fact he is actually doing these things. His next targets may in fact be people who participate in these past times.
Fortunately we have had very limited physical contact and I haven't handed over any money. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but for those who got involved further - I am so very very sorry.

river12

Post by river12 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:42 pm

With regards to the domain owner for that website, it seems it belongs to a chap in Wales and so I think that is a red herring and coincidence that J Smith was used as the name.

I am still amazed to see he carries on regardless. Outdoor did you google his name to find this thread about him? I am glad he took nothing from you. I fear also that he will start to target different sporting communities, beach volley ball is perfect for him to pick up women!

Northern Alex

Post by Northern Alex » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 pm

With a name like 'j smith' it must be quite difficult to find anything relevant with google, and i'm guesssing this forum is only really seem by other kayakers? just wondering if there are any other threads we can link to to make this story show up better...

Outdoor - can you also tell us how you met him? it is scary that he seems to be working his way through various sports clubs along the south coast!

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 am

I found action fraud to be less than helpful when targeted by a credit card fraud gang recently. Get to a Police Station insist on speaking to an officer, if I had relied on the "service" provided by action fraud, none of the goods would have been recovered.

Report it to action fraud by all means so that information is recorded and can be disseminated to the relevant forces as my experience is that they are apparently unable to share information themselves, but they seem about as interested as any other call centre staff (it is a privately owned company after all).

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 am

Alex I don't think there are any other threads this can be linked to...with the number of views this thread is getting James/Jay Smith and volleyball should be linked soon and so anyone doing a search on those two words will see this thread.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of ways that his presence and activities can be raised in the public domain but short of television and newspaper, have come up with no new ideas.

I agree totally Summit to Sea, it is crucial that any ladies who have had money taken especially need to contact the Police immediately and get it reported to them. From what I can tell, Sussex Police will have received numerous calls about him already (not sure if anyone has been fleeced yet.)

Conned

Post by Conned » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 am

When I reported it to the police they told me that I also needed to report it to action fraud as they hold a central database and send intelligence to police all over the country.

I strongly urge anyone that has had contact with this man to report it as the more it gets highlighted the better.

I am not a kayaker but found the identity of this guy through this thread and can't thank this site enough for bringing his true identity to my attention. I simply searched facebook under Jay Bigwater Smith and the web link showed this forum.

Please, please, please anyone that has had money taken or is feeling vulnerable due to the fear of identity fraud etc contact the police asap. They can get Victim Support involved too who are wonderful and trained to give great support and advice.

You are not alone out there if you are feeling used, abused, cheated, conned etc etc. This man is a professional at what he does, very persuasive and he takes more than simply money from his victims.

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 am

I met him on an online dating site last year. We fell out of touch for a while in November/December but then connected again in early January. I did find him through this thread, so thank you all for being so diligent in your posts. The more content the better so that people can find out what he is about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8691775.stm
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Bid-trace- ... z2QSATEAOp
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... oorer.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... women.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8691775.stm
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/176 ... meo-conman

All of these articles say more or less the same thing but I don't know how to get the word out to protect others from him.

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 am

River12, I think he has been frequenting the Yellowave Beach Sports Venue in Brighton. The other thing as I said earlier is badminton in or around the Bognor Regis/Chichester area. He has been living in a house that backs on to the water in Bognor Regis but commented that he will be moving very soon. He seems to like the Brighton area a lot right now - so getting the word out there is paramount. He may have also recently purchased a squash racquet so may be adding other sports to his repertoire...

Conned

Post by Conned » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 am

Yes squash was next on his agenda as he asked if he could borrow my raquet.

He claimed to be playing badminton in Chichester, Brighton, Littlehampton - volleyball down on the beach court at Brighton and said he belonged to a gym in Bognor Regis where he would go for a sauna and steam.

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Outdoors he must have been seeing you and I at the same time at some point, he is a such a wrong un. There is cross over going on everywhere! Shudder....I am like you and thinking of ways to get the word out there to warn other women. The threads are proving to be fairly effective, warning the dating websites is tricky as he can post under so many different guises.

I have no doubts he is dabbling in others sports now that his options are running out...

Conned

Post by Conned » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm

I would think ballet schools are safe!!!

river12

Post by river12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Right I don't think even he would have the gaul to wear a tutu!

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:01 pm

That is a grim image...
I will keep an eye out for comments on here and if I can help with anything in any way that will help expose this guy for what and who he is - please let me know.

Force 4

Post by Force 4 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 am

After reading this thread and the name of mogawr, I remembered a clip from Taran tyler from January 13 on his site and he is paddling by the Isle of wight as can be seen in clip.

Siani

Post by Siani » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Outdoorsportster, do you recall the name of the club in Bognor?

Taran Tyler paddled with Jay for awhile but Taran has nothing to do with Jay's nefarious activities. I think he's as shocked as the rest of us.

outdoorsportster

Post by outdoorsportster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi Siani,
I'm sorry I don't know the club name. Where he was playing badminton may not have actually been in Bognor, it may be Littlehampton or perhaps Chichester. Those and Brighton seem to be his 'haunts'. That said... with all of the lying, he could have been anywhere.

stunned

Post by stunned » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

Does he really do all of there sports yet still have the physique that he does!?

Fremantle1

Post by Fremantle1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I expect he was once an Olympic Beach Volley Ball player but he had to give it up when he broke his neck! He's let himself go a bit hasn't he?!

river12

Post by river12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Fremantle :D ha ha, I have no doubt he will pass himself off as being some kind of ex pro and I do think he may have more of a job convincing those in the know due to his lack of physical prowess!

Conned

Post by Conned » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 pm

They will be begging him to play for the County team no doubt within weeks as they supposedly did with badminton etc!!! There are no ends to the man's talents, NOT. Supposedly volleyball is down on the beach court along from Brighton Pier on Tuesday nights , at least that's what he told me. Badminton was in Chichester on Wednesday mornings, Littlehampton on Sunday nights and Brighton on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I think. Probably lots of rubbish but he did send photos of badminton halls to prove he was actually there, not that I was really that interested to be honest!!!

Fremantle1

Post by Fremantle1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Amazing how he had time to play all that badminton AND pursue multiple women at the same time!!

Northern Alex

Post by Northern Alex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

He certainly seems have a busy schedule!

Conned and Outdoorsportster - is it recently that he told you these things?

wonder how long til he gets caught out there and moves on!?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”