NEW NATIONAL RIVER LEVEL INFO FROM THE EA

Inland paddling
Jim Pullen

NEW NATIONAL RIVER LEVEL INFO FROM THE EA

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 pm

EA Letter

Looks like the EA are about to launch an online national river & sea levels service - Whoop Whoop! :-)
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

pesdapress

Re: NEW NATIONAL RIVER LEVEL INFO FROM THE EA

Post by pesdapress » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 pm

At long last! Fantastic news. I expect Steve Merrett's inbox will be rather full with suggestions shortly.

tape34

Post by tape34 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Great news, the EA providing a service for the whole community..... must have been a claim went in somewhere?
Pete Ball

shanclan

Post by shanclan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Well done to the EA.

Andy B (of MCC)

Post by Andy B (of MCC) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 pm

So once this is in place, the 'thermometers' will need to be calibrated to paddling levels - the scale used on 'wheresthewater.com' work well for me (Empty, Scrapable, Low, medium, High, Very High, Huge).
Is it a lot of work to add a space for each river listed in this site for a hyperlink to the appropriate EA webpage (as they come on line) and a table for river gauge to paddling level? Then people feed the regional coordinators with gauge levels vs paddling level data each time they visit a river?

Andy

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Andy B (of MCC) wrote:Is it a lot of work to add a space for each river listed in this site for a hyperlink to the appropriate EA webpage (as they come on line) and a table for river gauge to paddling level? Then people feed the regional coordinators with gauge levels vs paddling level data each time they visit a river?
I'd be happy to do that for the NE/NW England sections. However, the quickest way for users to get this info up online would just be to post in the topic for each river in the Regional Updates section.

Gareth dj

Post by Gareth dj » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm

This is great news, however what would make it perfect is that they actually release a raw data feed, then the possibilities get exciting, hiding the data away behind a thermometer graphic is just annoying.

Anyway, small steps, i must congratulate them though, i gave up trying to get this data years ago (i even tried a freedom of information request), i never thought i would see this day.

G

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:Looks like the EA are about to launch an online national river & sea levels service - Whoop Whoop! :-)
Being slightly pesimistic I would wait until the day it is actually on line to get excited, mainly as Im led to believe this was supposed to be delievered a while ago. But there has a been a few test versions aparently that have worked well so it bodes well and is due soon so be happy.
Gareth dj wrote:This is great news, however what would make it perfect is that they actually release a raw data feed, then the possibilities get exciting, hiding the data away behind a thermometer graphic is just annoying.

Anyway, small steps, I must congratulate them though, I gave up trying to get this data years ago (I even tried a freedom of information request), I never thought I would see this day.

G
G your wish might come true, I believe getting the data online in any format is to do with recomendations from the PITT report and this incarnation forms the first phase of the project to put river levels on line as part of the flood warning improvements project to meet that and a few other requirements. I had chat to the project manager a long time ago and made him aware of some of the requirements that recreational users such as paddlers and anglers might have of the system. And pointed out some of the river level systems used around the world which they were unaware of. In the scoping of the flood warnings on the internet project there was (when I last looked) options in later phases of the project if they got developed to look at raw data distribution to reusers. How when and if that will happen is another story but I know it was considered at the outset so could be a possibility one day.

So how long before people start threads linking the level on the gauge to known visual paddling clues like the slabs on the dart, the gauge at Eddylines LLangollen or other well know paddling guides?

RichA

Post by RichA » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Fantastic! This is really great news! Thanks to everyone for pestering the EA over the last few (many!) years, looks like our annoying emails and phone calls might have paid off :-)

Martyn Read

Post by Martyn Read » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Gareth dj wrote:This is great news, however what would make it perfect is that they actually release a raw data feed, then the possibilities get exciting, hiding the data away behind a thermometer graphic is just annoying.
That's certainly a real possibility as making raw data available to the public for so called 'mash ups' (combing various datasets) is being encouraged by government IT policy.

Martyn

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:55 pm

I've just had a sneaky peak at the list of proposed gauges. From an initial scan it looks incredibly comprehensive, far more than currently on any of the phone lines.

From a North-eastern point of view there's gauges on the put-ins for the Upper Swale, Upper Wear and Greta which (provided the updates are frequent enough) will prove invaluable for these flashy rivers!

RichA

Post by RichA » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Any idea when the service will be launched? Sounds fantastic! Sorry if it's already been mentioned in that EA letter but I can't open it here for some reason.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:56 pm

RichA wrote:Any idea when the service will be launched? Sounds fantastic! Sorry if it's already been mentioned in that EA letter but I can't open it here for some reason.
Allegedly, the end of this month...

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:31 pm

I've just noticed that the list of proposed gauges is now up on the Rainchasers site. Have a look through them here.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

caveman_si wrote:Being slightly pesimistic I would wait until the day it is actually on line to get excited, mainly as Im led to believe this was supposed to be delievered a while ago. But there has a been a few test versions aparently that have worked well so it bodes well and is due soon so be happy.
You would think that where another government agency (SEPA) had managed to publish this type of information, the EA could just borrow the software and load it up. As ever, I guess they went back to first principles to reinvent the wheel.

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote: You would think that where another government agency (SEPA) had managed to publish this type of information, the EA could just borrow the software and load it up. As ever, I guess they went back to first principles to reinvent the wheel.
Unfortunatly Adrain its not that simple. As I understand it most of the systems used for river telemetry in england and wales were/are specfice to set area, so those covered by NW and NE was/are different system to to Wales and so and so forth there is/was issues relating to historic carry over from predercessors to the EA water boards etc. I think there was 5 or 6 seperate telemetry systems. Where as SEPA im led to beleive only had one system to work out how to put the outs on line.
The telemtry systems were/are only used in local areas to montior flood, (or low flows) conditions so there was no need of national system as all monitoring is done at a local level where the response will be.

Peronally I hope that once the river level info is online that the EA carry on and expand the data side of their business to make much more of the data they create available online.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Sorry Si, I didn't understand any of that. Surely digital information can be output in a way that it can be used in other software. Perhaps I am being naive.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”