Haute-Alpes - major changes since the 2008 floods?

Inland paddling
cathalferris

Haute-Alpes - major changes since the 2008 floods?

Post by cathalferris »

As I have not been in the Haute-Alpes since 2007, I'm expecting there to be a few changes between then and now on the rivers.

Am I correct with these, and does anyone else have any additions or corrections?

I've heard that ChateauQ's last drop around the corner has changed, and has become a bit easier than the drop that surprised people a bit in 2007.
The Guisane has a lot more gravel on/in it apparently.
The Gyronde has a new weir somewhere near the start of the run, I'm not sure where it is along the route.

Obviously there's no substitute for careful river reading and not trusting old guidebooks etc. etc. but it'll be nice to haev any info.

Thanks!
Cathal.

Andy H

Re: Haute-Alpes - major changes since the 2008 floods?

Post by Andy H »

Hi Cathal
OK this is what i remember from last year,

The drop out of the Chateau is quite easy no worrys centra line. the wave/feature in the middle though can still catch you out.

The Guisane i found is simular to what it has allways been, upto the S bends there may be 1 or 2 more silt banks than before but nothing to worry about. some people was saying that the lower is slightly easier than before which i would agree with.

The Gyronde has has a new weir built near the start but i havnt seen it yet so cant comment, however the weir half way down we found last year had collasped in the middle so there was some debrie in there to avoid but most paddlers portaged this weir anyway.

The biggest change i found last year was the middle Guil, The staircase has totally change to i think more technicle, Le Tunnel rapid is now class 3 as the big pinning rock has gone that used to be on the left as you entered, but another 400m after the tunnel rapid is a new rapid which is a mass of boulders to get through with a very dangerous undercut with rebar in there where the river has eroaded the wall that supports the road above. so keep you eyes peeled.

Please note that this was last year and things could have changed again, also it is early season when you will be there and even though the raft guys get rid of dangerous strainers etc on the more popular runs, there may be still a lot of debrie in the rivers, so my advise is

IF IN DOUBT, SCOUT

have a good un and paddle safe

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Fluidskills.com

Post by Fluidskills.com »

Hi , well sitting outside my house next to the Gryronde the levels are all going well . we have paddled the Durance gorge on 90 on the gauge and it was a fast and fun ride on Friday , since then the weather has warmed up and the levels all round are high but on grade , the Guil has a few new changes but these you can see from the road to inspect. the biggest change is the stair case rapid that now is a zig zig of steep sharp rocks. the lower Guisane has a few trees down at the moment but these will be cleared on Thursday but the local raft guides for them to raft the river. the upper Guisane is perfect and on grade with a small change to the s bend rapid a les guilberts.

the Ubaye has lots of water and the upper sections are all good to go, the race course is very high and we recommend looking at the http://www.eauxvives.org/en/niveaux/en-direct/index - web site for currant levels

also the web cams at the following. http://www.eauxvives.org/en/niveaux/webcams/index

My team are out on the rivers as well as my self so if you would like advice please do ask , as well as lots other other working professionals in the area like Simon Westgarth and Stuart woodward , Do ask the local raft guides as they are always talking to each other about levels and problems. The SND kayak shop is one of the best routes for up to date info from Nat and Wolf and Ben at the shop.

We hope you have a great time and say hi if you see us

many thanks and safe trip
Darren Joy
http://www.fluidskills.com

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Fluidskills.com wrote:well sitting outside my house next to the Gryronde the levels are all going well
Great news, brought a house then Darren?

Fluidskills.com

Not Quite but nearly there on the house front ,

video from yesterday kayaking

kingdou

Post by kingdou »

On the Guil the undercut under the road has been filled during the winter to stop the road from collapsing, but to do so they had big diggers in the river, that smashed up every big rock in the rapid so its is more of a gravel bed now. The tunnel rapid is easier than a few years ago but it has a near river wide stopper in it, that you do not want to be swimming in. In the Ange Gardien gorge the last big rapid in the gorge is now a hugh siphon with the whole river flowing into it, at very low levels you can paddle through it but at big levels makes running the rapid just upstream risky.

The rest of the info above is correct.
Happy paddling.
David King

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Cheers for that info David thats very good to know about changes on the Guil this year.

Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Fluidskills.com

New information for today.

The Gryronde has two trees down just after the second wooden bridge , I will try and cut these out but you must be far left to miss the strainer

cheers Darren

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

Round about now it's customary for someone on ukrgb to start moaning that "we shouldn't have specifics in the guide, it's irresponsible because people will expect there only to be hazards where they are pre-warned, rah rah rah".

I mention this only in the event that the trees can't be cut loose - don't even think about putting a marker on the bank, people might actually die from anger.

Carry on!

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 »

Any up to date photos of the guil , bellow the tunnel, staircase etc
Kinda my favourite run disappointed to here theres so many changes
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

Fluidskills.com

Bring on the sunshine !!!!!! lovely here today about 28 on the van temp gauge and levels picking up !

Great paddle in the durance gorge today and lovely moves to be had

Ill stick pictures up later

Cheers
Darren

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb »

Fluidskills.com wrote:Bring on the sunshine !!!!!! lovely here today about 28 on the van temp gauge and levels picking up !

Great paddle in the durance gorge today and lovely moves to be had

Ill stick pictures up later

Cheers
Darren
1st year after 5 straight in the alps..... JEALOUS!!!! A little road trip may be in order next year!

Although there is pleanty of water and sun hear in the Lakes, just none of it is in the rivers!

missile

Post by missile »

No wave at Embrum :(
Hint, leave the swimming to the fishes and roll back up, I hope that your not a fish!

www.nookie.co.uk
www.activities-away.com

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”