Pub Paddles - Best Short Canoe Trips in the South of England

Inland paddling
ChrisS

Pub Paddles - Best Short Canoe Trips in the South of England

Post by ChrisS »

The South East of England has a dire reputation as a paddling location, no doubt deservedly so for those whose interests are white water rivers or spectacular coastal scenery. Perhaps this is why, until now, there has been no guide to paddling in the South East although the area certainly offers plenty of excellent inland canoe touring.

Peter Knowles has filled a significant gap in the coverage of paddling guidebooks by publishing this one on the South East of England. The book contains 26 suggested trips no more than one or two hours from London. It is profusely illustrated with maps and photographs and contains plenty of useful trip planning information including access, parking, tea shops and, of course, pubs. The descriptions of several of the trips which I have recently done myself seem to be accurate and well-researched. The book sets out to be family friendly so the recommended trips are fairly short (1-3 hours), but suggestions are given for extending the trips and for other paddling possibilities nearby. I wish I had had a book like this when I started paddling a few years ago. Highly recommended.

ISBN 978-0-9550614-1-7

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”