Val Sesia

Inland paddling
Dug

Val Sesia

Post by Dug » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Anyone know what the levels are doing in Val Sesia just now? Sitting in Austria with low levels and nothing to do for 2 weeks....

Nick_

Re: Val Sesia

Post by Nick_ » Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 pm

When we left on Monday the rain was just coming in and the forecast was heavy most of the week. Check the weather levels at ilmeteo.it, we were getting 60 ml of rain a day some days and it was writing boating off. Couple of days of sun should sort things out though.
See you on the water!

Blue17

Post by Blue17 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm off to Val Sesia next wed!!!!
Bring on the sunshine!!!
Keep Right On!!!

Gavers

Post by Gavers » Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 pm

One of the folks at my polo is off out there just now (jammie git...) He's back on Monday/Tuesday, I'll send him a text and ask him what it was like, then get back to you Dug.

Oh, and I still need to sort out what's happening about summer, whether or not we're out to Aus, and whether Dylans tagging along or not... I'll let you know about that too.
Paddle like AARDVARK!!

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri May 14, 2010 8:13 am

See Gene17's Twitter feed for daily updates.

Water level conditions are excellent, it's the weather that is not. More rain due this afternoon, and then sun of the week.......... as forecast.

Dug

Post by Dug » Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Nice, should be heading over next there next week!

danyates1

Post by danyates1 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am

Thinking about a last minute trip. Will any one be out in Val Sesia and up for boating with me Fri to Mon this weekend . Planning to hire a car and drive up for fri am from Milan .

Dan Yates

PS Do people think the snow is going to melt in time or am I best to wait for June.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 pm

danyates1 wrote:Thinking about a last minute trip. Will any one be out in Val Sesia and up for boating with me Fri to Mon this weekend . Planning to hire a car and drive up for fri am from Milan .

Dan Yates

PS Do people think the snow is going to melt in time or am I best to wait for June.
Hey Dan

There will be a lot of paddler's around, and I expect the snow to start to move by mid to late this week, it's hot here in Valsesia today, and the freezing point will rise to above 3000m by Thursday, so solid medium levels are likely to be the minimum.

danyates1

Post by danyates1 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Flights booked, and am coming with a brand new Bangor Yahoo. (Although technically I've moved to Betws and learned to behave.) Are you staying in Campertogna?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am

danyates1 wrote:Flights booked, and am coming with a brand new Bangor Yahoo. (Although technically I've moved to Betws and learned to behave.) Are you staying in Campertogna?
We are at Campertogno, and may go to Ticino for 2-3 days until Saturday, then next week go toward Torino. Currently it's cold at night, warm in the day, and we're waiting for the snow to start to melt.

Croft

Re: Val Sesia - trivia fishing section

Post by Croft » Thu May 20, 2010 8:39 am

Last sunday whilst better folks were making kayaks fly, we had a leisurely paddle down the Mastellone - which was at a cracking level and that lovely clear azur blue colour.

Just after the put-in we passed by some fishermen, and much to our surprise, one of them hooked a mighty fish whilst we were passing-by (no more than 3 m away). So much for kayaks scaring-off the fishies.

I discussed this matter with Mr. Westgarth the same evening (apparently he fishes too and knows about these things) and he advised that it was probably a brown trout coz they are stupid.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Simon Westgarth

Re: Val Sesia - trivia fishing section

Post by Simon Westgarth » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am

Croft wrote:I discussed this matter with Mr. Westgarth the same evening (apparently he fishes too and knows about these things) and he advised that it was probably a brown trout coz they are stupid.
They may be stupid and are wonderful caught on a dry fly and sure taste nice!

Croft

Post by Croft » Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 pm

If anybody os looking for other options nearby, we ran Soana and Germanasca this weekend with excellent medium levels and crystal clear water. The melt is on so levels are likely to rise in the next few days.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

paddy_mc

Post by paddy_mc » Sun May 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Driving out to Europe on Tuesday and thinking of starting in Val Sesia first. Will there still be enough water next week?

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 am

Yes. I was there last weekend and there was still plenty of water.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 pm

All is still good for the higher snow melt runs. Lower altitude runs like Mastellone and Cervo have dropped off.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”