Can "Ski Racks" carry boats?

Inland paddling
Unstabler

Can "Ski Racks" carry boats?

Post by Unstabler »

I've noticed a few hire car companies have an option for Ski Racks on thier booking page. Is this just another name for a roof rack?

Flying to Slovenia with 2 boats at the end of the month and need to find a hire car company that can supply a roof rack.
Paul (Un)Stabler

Poke

Re: Can "Ski Racks" carry boats?

Post by Poke »

I don't have a great depth of experience with these things, but I imagine it depends on the design of ski rack.

Some may work,

Others won't.

Your best bet, especially if there's only two of you, is to get an inflatable (and just be sure to clean any dirt from between it and the roof on a regular basis).
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Scuba Dave

Post by Scuba Dave »

Two of our group flew in to Trieste last month and collected their car with ski racks at the airport. It consisted of a block of foam with a magnet in it (Not dissimilar to Tims final photo).

Apparently this is all they had at the airport. They did however manage to buy a roofrack at the local halfords equivalent.

d.e.hill

Post by d.e.hill »

As far as I can recall (from previous topics) the consensus is that ski racks are often (always?) just ski holders with "suckers" on the bottom that suck onto the roof; hence hire car companies can attach them to any of their cars. Getting roof racks supplied is a real mission.

Inflatable racks (e.g. Handirack) are an option but there's plenty of stories of them denting roofs badly as the load is transmited directly onto the middle of the roof, unlike proper bars where it's transmitted onto the edges (which are designed to bear loads). There goes your insurance excess....

Better, in my opinion, would be to book a hatchback (Golf or similar) and bring Thule bars and foot pack with you in your luggage (bars fit in boats). Then pick up the car, leave someone with that boats at the airport, and drive to 'Le Halfords' and buy a fitting pack for whatever specific model of car you're given. The problem with bringing a foot pack with you is that if you book a Golf and get a Focus it won't be compatable.

Alternatively book an estate and put the boats inside (as there's only 2 boats, I'll assume there's only 2 of you).

Good luck!

iamgareth

Post by iamgareth »

If there is only two of you, hire a van?

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Last year we managed to hire a car with a flimsy, but workable roof rack (there were 4 of us and 4 boats that time), but this year it seems to be harder to get anyone to quote on car hire with a roof rack.
Paul (Un)Stabler

mfflower

Post by mfflower »

Best way I've been taught is to take your roof bars, four foam pads and some straps. Run the straps through the centre of the hollow bars and use a foam pad in place of a foot. Open the doors and connect the stap ends together inside the car, thereby holding everything down. Weight is carried at the edges of the roof (not in the centre like an inflaitable rack) and you don't have to try and buy something when you're out there. Provided you use good foam (e.g. central bouyancy style foam) you should be fine, although you have to be aware that the door seals might be broken by the straps and it will leak if it rains.

It goes without saying you'll want to do this out of sight of the hire company!

Not very clear in this shot, (also see here) but you might be able to work it out:

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

d.e.hill wrote: book a hatchback (Golf or similar) and bring Thule bars and foot pack with you in your luggage (bars fit in boats). Then pick up the car, leave someone with that boats at the airport, and drive to 'Le Halfords' and buy a fitting pack for whatever specific model of car you're given
Probably the best/most solid option here. Provided you a) already have a Thule three-part system (unfortunately the one I'm selling here -shameless plug! - are a two-parter), b) the adapters are available at Le Halfrauds (you could be stuck waiting for an order), and c) the car you get is suitable (roofrails, for example, could scupper you).

Otherwise go inflatable, load it carefully, and keep a sharp eye on it (I suspect they're designed with surfboards rather than kayaks in mind.)
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Poke wrote:
Your best bet, especially if there's only two of you, is to get an inflatable (and just be sure to clean any dirt from between it and the roof on a regular basis).
Be careful with inflatables if it rains! A group we bumped into in Slovenia recently had inflatable roof racks, and after heavy rain overnight the car got soaked from water running around the straps.

= very expensive hire car style insurance excess.

You could always try phoning up the hire car company and asking specifically for a rack that can take boats. They must be fairly used to dealing with boaters there..

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Use Mark's solution, but you will have to pay RobT royalty fees! Mark, good to see you are showing off your driving. Also, I didn't realise you had a picture of that campsite. It really doesn't convey the misery of the situation of driving for hours (and hours) after paddling to camp in a puddle by the side of a road and cook in the dark. That's what trips are all about!

Phil
mfflower wrote:Best way I've been taught is to take your roof bars, four foam pads and some straps. Run the straps through the centre of the hollow bars and use a foam pad in place of a foot. Open the doors and connect the stap ends together inside the car, thereby holding everything down. Weight is carried at the edges of the roof (not in the centre like an inflaitable rack) and you don't have to try and buy something when you're out there. Provided you use good foam (e.g. central bouyancy style foam) you should be fine, although you have to be aware that the door seals might be broken by the straps and it will leak if it rains.

It goes without saying you'll want to do this out of sight of the hire company!

Not very clear in this shot, (also see here) but you might be able to work it out:

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Been doing a bit more research, and looking at Estates, does anyone know if I'd get a Pyranha I:3 into the back of a Scoda Fabia Estate with 2 people in the front?
Also, the Favia looks like it has roof rails. Anyone know if this is always the case?

Budget do roof rack for the Octavia from Ljubljana, but that's £100 more than the Favia, and an extra £25 on top of that for the bars.

Appreciate all the advice.
Paul (Un)Stabler

d.e.hill

Post by d.e.hill »

Bring straps and your boat will always "fit" in the back (just tie the boot door closed on top of it).

For what it's worth though, I'd be very surprised if an i:3 didn't fit! Let us know how you get on.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Unstabler wrote:Again, thanks for all the advice.

Been doing a bit more research, and looking at Estates, does anyone know if I'd get a Pyranha I:3 into the back of a Scoda Fabia Estate with 2 people in the front?
Also, the Favia looks like it has roof rails. Anyone know if this is always the case?

Budget do roof rack for the Octavia from Ljubljana, but that's £100 more than the Favia, and an extra £25 on top of that for the bars.

Appreciate all the advice.
Given the amount of buggy kit we can get in a Fabia hatchback you should be able to fit kayaks in the estate - be prepared to sit fighter pilot style rather than bomber pilot style though, and hope the single rear seat is on the drivers side....

You could go to a showroom and pretend to be interested in buying one :-)

iamgareth

Post by iamgareth »

My housemate has a fabia estate, it hasn't got roof rails; however he's had his Wavesport Diesel inside... Hope that helps.

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Jim wrote: Given the amount of buggy kit we can get in a Fabia hatchback you should be able to fit kayaks in the estate - be prepared to sit fighter pilot style rather than bomber pilot style though, and hope the single rear seat is on the drivers side....
Last night a couple of my friends turned up in a Toyota Yaris (or Aygo - not sure which, but basically a very small Toyota) with 2 boats in the car using the fighter pilot style (good description). Don't think my gf will want to do that over a 2 week holiday though :-(
Paul (Un)Stabler

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

Jim wrote: be prepared to sit fighter pilot style rather than bomber pilot style though,
Explain, please?
Not in Oxford any more...

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

maryinoxford wrote:
Jim wrote: be prepared to sit fighter pilot style rather than bomber pilot style though,
Explain, please?
He means; Fighter style - the passenger sits behind the driver so the boats can go through the split rear seat and all the way through to the front passenger seat area (fighter jets tend to have the pilot and co-pilot sat one in front of the other).

Bomber style - you have a long enough boot space that the front passenger seat isn't required for the boats, so the passenger can sit next to the driver in the front. (Bombers tend to have the pilot and co-pilot sat next to each other).
Paul (Un)Stabler

Poke

Post by Poke »

maryinoxford wrote:
Explain, please?
Bomber:

FIghter:

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

Thank you. Understood.
(Never flown in fighters or bombers. And if my boats need to go inside a car, they fold up into the boot...)
Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

I don't see those options on your linked websites.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Unstabler wrote:I've noticed a few hire car companies have an option for Ski Racks on thier booking page. Is this just another name for a roof rack?
Amira Griffiths wrote:Yes off-course it can carry boats. It all depends upon what kind of boat you carry? There are 4 types of roof racks you can go for,
1. Load Assist Water Racks
2. Saddle-Style Water Racks
3. Stacker-Style Water Racks
4. J-Style Water Racks
Did you read the original (year old) post? The original poster was asking whether ski-racks could carry boats. You've just said yes they can, then gone on to list a bunch of kayaking roof racks.

You appear to be dredging up old posts, and adding your own marginally related ramblings just to promote your own(?) websites linked in your signature?

Look, you’ve done it again here. You’ve just explained to a kayaker how to tie his boats on the roof. No-one asked that. They wanted to know about how to stop their boats being stolen.

Arguably my rant is only serving to help your cause, but really. If you want to promote your business on here, either do it in the right place, or contribute something useful to the forums.

Ahem, and, welcome to UkRivers :-)

mitch

Post by mitch »

Another option that once worked in desperation:
Note the strap in the middle keeping everything together and both ends tied to the towing eyes.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”