Spring Cleaning Ness Glen

Inland paddling
hogboy

Spring Cleaning Ness Glen

Post by hogboy »

After a couple of landslides, some fairly major releases and the obliteration of a few sheep, the Ness Glen in Ayrshire is needing a bit of pruning/TLC.

Managed to get a few bits of wood out last night but am heading up there 10am sunday morning with saw, ropes etc.

Meeting at the turn off to Loch doon from the A713 near Dalmellington if anyone fanices lending a hand

Bear in mind this is a 365 day per year release so, IMO, is worth a bit of effort.

SwamP

Re: Spring Cleaning Ness Glen

Post by SwamP »

Good on you, with a dry summer ahead looks like lots of folk with be floating and grinding their way down this run.

I’m raft guiding this weekend but available the weekend after!....
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Dug

Post by Dug »

I'll have a word with 'Team Borders' and maybe come across and help out. Not paddled Ness Glen for ages n it does not look like much water this weekend!

hogboy

Post by hogboy »

Did actually get another broken blade out last night. Carbon shaft, white blade..."performance works" make I think..

Any offers!

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

Conrad, I just spotted this today, I'd be up for helping clear some of the debris next weekend if required. g
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

hogboy

Post by hogboy »

Thanks George,

I think the guys got it done today to the point where it is much more runable and safe. I didn't witness much as, after 10 mins, I managed to drop a very heavy bit of wood on the tip of my thumb, therby removing the end of my thumb, thumb-nail and a bit of bone. Still, Id rather be at A&E on a sunday morning than a saturday night.....

thumb will be a bit shorter but joint and nail-bed were ok so stitches out in 10 days, back on the water in 3 weeks..touch wood...NO...WAIT....I didn't mean that

davieq

Post by davieq »

As Conrad says, we got most of the big stuff out including a 30ft tree that was still partially attached to the banking.All this was done after Conrad 'conveniently' dropped a 'twig' on his thumb!!! It is now mostly runnable but could still do with more clearing on the run out from the last rapids just to clear all the niff naff stuff that could cause a problem for a swimmer. Anybody who uses this great wee river please take some time to do a bit of tidying. Cheers

tpage

Post by tpage »

A Big Thumbs Up to Conrad ... for getting this done!

Conrad, are you doing a double act with "Nick the claw"?

Seriously, I hope it the thumb heals quickly for you.
Tony

climbpaddle

Post by climbpaddle »

Did the SSSI status of the Glen cause any problems?

hogboy

Post by hogboy »

As far as I am aware, Ness Glen is not a designated site of special scientific interest. I believe that the area further down around Bogtown Loch is, however.

In terms of causing problems, we have had conversations with the landowner over the past few years since he kindly cleared the whole river of trees in 2005 and built a new path. He is happy for us to paddle there and was supportive of our effots two years ago to clear massive blockages. I have no reason to belive that that has changed.

This year was more of the same. The river was paddleable, but had a number of fallen branches and prevuioulsy cut branches that either made the lines very difficult or created an extra risk for swimmers. These have mostly been cleared and the river is a lot safer than it was.

Don't think we did any damage to the eco-sytem with our efforts, which is more than I can say for my thumb....

Volunteers for next year?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”