LL Biscuit for a beginner

Inland paddling
dan-gilbert

LL Biscuit for a beginner

Post by dan-gilbert »

Hello, Im a begginer at freestyle and was just wandering how the biscuit 65 is to paddle on flat and moving water i.e. how difficult would it be to blunt, cartwheel etc for a beginner. I have been lookign at the boat because I had a sit in one today and it was so comfortable and because im tall and quite heavy 6'1 and about 95 kgs a boat with footroom would be perfect and this seemed more comfortable than my creeker, so any advice would be great

Thanks in advance Dan

Alec Ferris

Re: LL Biscuit for a beginner

Post by Alec Ferris »

I'm new to freestyle and have been using one. I think it's very comfy and relatively forgiving. That said, I've been able to do more in a G-Force.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

cripper

Post by cripper »

Maybe thats cos the G-force is lower volume therefore easier to sink into the water to cartwheel etc??

Anyway, I'm the same height, but a bit lighter (75kgs) however, I demo'd the 65 biscuit, and loved it! I'm no freestyle expert (as anyone who's seen me in a hole will agree, my moves tend to involve shoving myself in the biggest part of the hole and hoping something cool will happen1), but I was able to cartwheel/bow/stern stall this no problem on the flat, blunt/airscrew on the waves and do crazy stuff I still dont think agrees with the laws of physics in a hole.

Summarise: great boat, if you can afford it, go for it!!
Hear no rain.
See no rain.
Pray for rain

michael napier

Post by michael napier »

Up and Under have got the medium in there demo fleet which you would be able to take down the new white water course in Cardiff. They also have a range of other demo play boats available. They will have a large one down there as well on the 24th April for the welsh canoe and kayak show which might be a better bet for you to demo as you are just over the weight range for the medium. It's a free event and there will be pretty much every play boat in every size down there.
http://www.welsh-canoe-kayak-show.co.uk/
Hope that helps

Mike

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

A friend of mine purchased one brand new, and another friend purchased a 1 year old Jackson star for slightly less money the friend who owns the Jackson can pull much better moves in his boat. They seem ok boats and have nice outfitting but very expensive for what they are. If I were you I would consider a medium/large Molan or a jackson superstar, they are similarly priced but in my opinion better play boats overall.

The two things to consider when getting a boat is that, If you friend tells you to get a certain boat dont nescacerilly listen to them, that boat is what suits them or works for them it may not work for you. The other major point is that you should demo lots of boats which are even remotely similar to what you want, preferably on the grade of water you will use it at. Thats not always possible so at least have a go on the lake or something.

Hope you find the right boat for you!

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

cripper wrote:I'm no freestyle expert (as anyone who's seen me in a hole will agree, my moves tend to involve shoving myself in the biggest part of the hole and hoping something cool will happen!)
Same here! I think I know what you mean about the G-Force having less volume. I would point out that the G-Force is cheaper than the Biscuit, though I imagine that if would be more forgiving for river-running duties.

NPearce

Post by NPearce »

I have a Biscuit 55. (am 6'1", 13 st, size 10 feet)

Personally I really like it, easy to paddle, can pull off a few moves and more importantly for me is very comfortable to with good foot room. I am not a playboater and the boat rarely follows what the head thinks it's doing, but I have found it a harder boat than some others to throw around. The side effect is that once I have 'got it' in the Biscuit I find I have 'got it easier' in other boats, the Jacksons in particular seem easier to pull off moves in than the Biscuit.

Now ignore all the above and demo / borrow / have a go in a few different boats before you pick something up thats right for you.

Nathan

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

I'll say this, having tried a few playboats now; nothing has yet touched a Biscuit for its comfort/time setting up ratio, which I think is quite important when you're used to a nice river runner/player with enough room so you don't get pins 'n' needles.

michelin

Post by michelin »

I agree with the last comment about how comfy a biscuit is and I even have one for sale if anybody is looking for one

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”