Pyranha Everest

Inland paddling
Global Traveller

Pyranha Everest

Post by Global Traveller » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Can anyone who has one or used one give me some input on this yak.

I am looking for a river runner, but with a big volumne due to my size , weight etc....have tried a few good yaks, but the biggest problem is the cockpit size, which is a problem with getting my legs out, especially upside down...have been practicing purposely...

Anyway due to it larger cockpit size, it would appear on paper to be a logical choice for me to mpove from the hybrid crossover / tourers I have been using to something that is more dynamic and can give the abilities easier to move across to river running etc.

The blunt question...is this yak going to be a suitible boat to someone who is moving into the whitewater scene...
I only roll in the dry!!!

neilfarmer

Re: Pyranha Everest

Post by neilfarmer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 am

It is a very big boat, you need to be able to actually paddle it on white water. It will drift down rapids, but it takes effort to put it where it should be/you want it to go. That said, I find it as manoeuvrable as a large Burn, which I had before.

I am 6'7" / 2metres tall, and for the first time, can get in with the full plate footrest still in the boat (I did need to swop the plate that came with it, for the smaller of the two that came with the burn). I can easily get my knees out of the cockpit, when sitting in it, something that I could not do in any other creek boat. You should look at the burns, they have large cockpits, I could do the same with the large burn.

As for if this is the right boat for you, cannot say. It is designed for running white water, which it does very well. On easier rivers, perhaps a playboat/lower volume boat may be more fun......
Neil Farmer.

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 am

Global Traveller wrote:is this going to be a suitible boat to someone who is moving into the whitewater scene
Yes, providing you don't mind the rails. The Everest (like the Burns) has very sharp edges, which are great for carving if you use them correctly. This helps overcome the problem of paddling a tank, as it makes it more manoeuvrable. The downside is that you can trip over the edges if your edging / balance / concentration fails. If you'd prefer something with a more traditional hull, maybe consider a large Nomad.
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

Jace

Post by Jace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 pm

I really like it and have adopted as my creeker/river runner of choice. Surprisingly nimble for a big boat.

have a look at these http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... 7&item=277 http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... 7&item=537

And try one for a demo.

J

Buds

Post by Buds » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm

For whitewater it's a great boat and great design. Loads of room for talk folks when running whitewater (I'm 6'8" and fit without hassles).

Main niggle is the quality of the pyranha plastic, which seems to be made of cardboard...

Apart from that I can't think of a better creeking/river running boat. Really quick, keeps you out of trouble and will help you to learn the basics of whitewater really quickly. You'll need to buy a lower volume boat to do the playboat stuff in, but if you want something to learn the basics in then it's a good (if fragile and expensive) choice.

Global Traveller

Post by Global Traveller » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for all the input so far...am trying to get hold of a demo model even just to sit in the damn thing :)

I have had a look at the Burns and their cockpit width is too narrow for comfort as I am broad as well as tall and the nomads cockpit is too narrow (as is the Axiom 9.0)

Short of being forced to use a Liquid Logic Remix XP10 (nothing werong with that, I hasten to add) this was the only yak that had a wider cabin and also importantly the length in the cockpit as well.

If anyone else wants to add anymore then would be happy to hear from them....but thanks for all the contributions so far..

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 pm

The everest is big, but now too big to manage if you're strong and dextrous.

also nothing wrong with an XP 10. I almost bought one recently to convert to a C1. They have minimal rocker though, so not ideal for creeking, but the skeg system is quite natty and they look well made. The hatch needs something extra to keep it in place in whitewater though (and thats from the horses mouth)

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Dagger Approach? Or is that what you're moving from? I have one for sale.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Not, not "now"

Global Traveller

Post by Global Traveller » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 am

I have an approach already which has been customised with full foot plate etc, but still a barge when to do something more.....

I also wanted to get away from having a htch and a 10ft boat...but thanks for all the comments...

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 am

Buds wrote: Main niggle is the quality of the pyranha plastic, which seems to be made of cardboard...
Mine has been fine, and I have seen several other makes of boat damaged on rivers that I have been on.
Neil Farmer.

Jace

Post by Jace » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Given mine plenty of abuse, no bother in the durability stakes. The plastic's certainly as good as any other on the market

luffy999

Post by luffy999 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:41 pm

i am 6ft 4 and 17 1/2 stone with 34" inside leg and size 11 feet
the everest fitted me well but i prefered the slightly smaller kanarli as an all rounder
i also have one up for grabs which has been used 6 times in river and sea
if intereted let me know
other than this most retailer shops have demo boats maybe borrow both and see which one you prefer
cheers
andy
pm me either way about kanarli
cheers

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”