Whats the point?

Inland paddling
HarryWats0n

Whats the point?

Post by HarryWats0n »

Paddled a new river today (for me) and under one of the bridges we noticed this, http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... 0020246110

Which required walking round, it caused a strainer and was about one foot above the water level, it may have been a warning that a weir was coming up, but could have been potentially more dangerous than the weir! Any ideas?

cripper

Re: Whats the point?

Post by cripper »

maybe its used as a crossing point, those planks look easily strong enough to hold the weight of a person, and the gauge in the other pic: maybe its a place to check water levels for fish breeding, water processing (these are just ideas, but you get the picture!)
Hear no rain.
See no rain.
Pray for rain

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Attached is a bridge with road and pavement!

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

I wanted to look at your photo, but it "requires Facebook log-in" and I don't do Facebook. Can you set it to "public"?
Not in Oxford any more...

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

No idea, but definitely odd - as a Civil Engineer, I'd be interested to know!

Can't see it being a crossing, as these days nobody would build a crossing without handrails. It's exactly where the bridge designer wouldn't want a strainer; a good chance it catching floating branches and allowing them to build up on the upstream side of the bridge - something that contributed to failure of bridges in the Lakes last November.

Chris

KenHy

Post by KenHy »

I cant imagine anyone would put a crossing in like that, after all it is under a bridge!

Terryg

Post by Terryg »

Suspect it is a temporary structure to allow maintenance of the bridge, or clearance of rubbish from around the bridge pillars.

Yaker Dan

Post by Yaker Dan »

It looks very similar to the planks of wood going from rock to rock (or man made concrete rock in come cases) found on the Wye between Builth and Boughrood.

Made for fisher folk to have a pleasant time walking around the river casting lines in more prefered places, that can not be reached otherwise.

Happy paddling!
Dan
www.riverstrokes.co.uk - www.blissstick.co.uk
River Strokes 01874 676102

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

There's something similar on the Thames above Sandford, blocking a side channel where it branches off from the main stream. I always assumed that it was to stop boats from going down a channel to a weir, and that the builder never considered boats low enough to go under it.
Not in Oxford any more...

mpooleman

Post by mpooleman »

Designers sometimes put in a Wildlife Crossing to discourage badgers, foxes etc using the road and getting squashed!!

Does seem a bit daft here though as it will collect debris.

Mark
Mark Pooleman

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

I wouldnt expect it to be anything structural, if any trees or anything got caught on it and formed a strainer it would put lots of pressure on the bridge!
Designers sometimes put in a Wildlife Crossing to discourage badgers, foxes etc using the road and getting squashed!!
That seems logical!
There's something similar on the Thames above Sandford, blocking a side channel where it branches off from the main stream. I always assumed that it was to stop boats from going down a channel to a weir, and that the builder never considered boats low enough to go under
There are no motor boats on that section of the river, and no signage warning of weirs like on the Thames!

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

It certainly looks odd. It appears like the pillar plinths have been recessed to support these planks to stop them floating off.
Maybe drop a line to your local EA office enquiring if these are structures they know about, as they are responsible for ensuring that waterways do not get blocked and cause flooding. If they do know about them then ask what they are for, and if they are temporary.
They may be unaware of the potential risk they pose, but once warned then would become responsible if anything untoward happened.
Gary Mascall

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

That seems logical!
Or not, those planks would be underwater if the river was much higher.

Sent an email to the ea to ask why the planks were there, and if they had no purpose could they be removed as they posed a potential and unnecessary threat to canoeists.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Mr Watson,

The wooden structure you identified in your picture is what we term a "stringer" and forms part of a retention board structure. You will notice these structures on every road bridge across the River Beult from Smarden to Stilebridge. These structures hold up the water level in the channel during the summer months and are taken out in the winter to reduce flood risk. Wooden posts are bolted to the front of the stringers and wooden boards inserted into the gaps. The structures are regularly inspected during high water and debris removed if appropriate.

The River Beult is a SSSI along most of it's length and therefore the removal of these structures is not feasible in the short term due to the significant impact it would have on the ecosystem. As I am sure you are aware there is no right of navigation along this stretch of the river and any use of the river requires the permission of the riparian landowners, but now we are aware that it is used by kayakers we will re assess the structures with a view to the safety of river users.

I hope this answers your questions, if you have any further queries please let me know.

Tony Aiuto

Post by Tony Aiuto »

HarryWats0n wrote:Mr Watson,

As I am sure you are aware there is no right of navigation along this stretch of the river and any use of the river requires the permission of the riparian landowners, but now we are aware that it is used by kayakers we will re assess the structures with a view to the safety of river users.

I hope this answers your questions, if you have any further queries please let me know.
I would be interested in knowing who sent you that piece of enlightened literature.
Tony Aiuto

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”