would you lend someone your blades

Inland paddling
mark Hirst

would you lend someone your blades

Post by mark Hirst » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 am

Ok so a moral dilema in work today
A kayker rocked up and wanted to borrow some kit and kayak down the river alongside our raft trip. He needed a pair of blades. I was approached and asked if I would let him use my carbon cranked stickine werners

did I say yes and lend them to a complete stranger keeping with the sprit of helping out a fellow kayaker

or did I say no

Because if I lose my blades I cannot work without them when I am saftey boating after over 15 years of boating fulltime my wrist are not to good I can only paddle with cranks

What would you do
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

Dr Robin

Re: would you lend someone your blades

Post by Dr Robin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 am

My gut reaction is no. Which river do you work on?

But I do try to help out paddlers I know whenever I can. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the "snobbery" in paddling, i.e. "I don't know you so I'm not going to paddle with you or give you advice about any river harder than grade 3". I'll paddle with or have a drink with anybody. But I think lending a stranger expensive paddles is going too far for me.

ol

Post by ol » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:48 am

If his eyes were close together and he had thin lips, then no...

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 am

Lend them your splits.

ion

Post by ion » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 am

Yes, or anything else he needed. Just as I have many times for visitors from all over the world, and just as those same people have done to help me out.

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:55 am

Need more info. Were other paddles available? If you go to a boat hire company are you going to get given top end paddles? Nope. If you rock up to a raft station and ask to borrow kit, do you expect to borrow someones best kit? Nope. If I was in that situation I would expect to be offered a set of 90degrees symmetrical Schegels from the eightees with chunks out of them or some flappy TNP's from the back of the shack. Tricky one, trying to weigh up whether the person is likely to break or lose your kit. Lend the kit, be worried all day and then be really unhappy if they are broken, or say no and be unhappy at turning someone down. I borrowed a whole pile of top end carbon foam cored paddles the other day, covered them in stickers and handed them round for others to use. :-)

michelin

Post by michelin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:04 am

I would'nt borrow my WERNER STIKINE to anyone imagine if they broke it they would have a heart attack when you tell them how much money they would have'to give you to replace it,but if I had a cheap back up paddle then I would gladly borrow them that.

cj

Post by cj » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:46 am

Simple answer from me, I ask "if the boat or paddle is stolen or smashed to bits if it comes off your roof rack, can you you pay the £xxx to replace it?" they normally mumble and walk away. Best not. OK for a have a go session when you are about, not a problem. Your paddle is expensive and important to you, the other guy shouldn't ask.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:55 am

Simon Westgarth wrote:Lend them your splits.

That was exactly my thought!
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 am

I'm with simon Lend him your splits.

If this isnt an opption rules applie as they do to all kit, a suitable repalcement should be offered, I'e a paddle of similar quality, length cranked etc. this however does have its fall back as then you have the question of new kit or kit of a similar quality and use, i feel the second is appropriat and did find myself one refusing to replace a set of paddles, that yes i had damaged but only due to poor care before (blades that the layers where separating on like paper), when i offered a better paddle that had been used so was scratched but in far better condition they said no and wanted a new paddle. I left the offer open for over a year but i belive he is stuck with his old paddle.

B&O

Post by B&O » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I would lend them on the understanding they cost £300 to replace if they're damaged or lost they get replaced. Specify the condition and what constitutes damage.

I want a pair so totally understand your reluctance they are expensive but worth it. For me they're a toy but for you they're a work tool and toy so even more important. Be honest and explain the situation. If the guy isn't prepared to be reasonable which under the principle of all paddler together he should be, in which case you have the right to say no and shouldn't feel any guilt at all.

IMO job done.

Iain

mark Hirst

Post by mark Hirst » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Cheers
For your input guys. I actually did not let him use my blades I managed to find an an old company paddle which was ok. I did have a prang of guilt but I stood by my morals no blades no work. Werner really could find away to produce cranked splits.

No problems in the end as I helped him find some blades anyway

cheers
mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

Dug

Post by Dug » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am

Yeah I would not lend out really expensive ones like that. Splits or an old one!

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Paddles are very personal which makes it a difficult decision.
On the other hand you work for a raft or hire company - the company should be able to provide suitable equipment without asking it's staff to loan their own kit out, they really shouldn't have put you in that situation.
It's something which can come up far too easily, but there are possibly a number of issues for a commercial outfit providing equipment that they don't actually own...

As far as lending someone my splits goes, mine cost just as much (slightly more probably) as my main paddle - they are the same spec (slightly heavier due to the joints) so it would be the same decision.

Would I have lent someone my paddle for a trip I wasn't going to be on? Probably not.
Have I lent paddles to people I am paddling with? Yes of course.

What's the difference? I don't know it's just a feeling you get at the time.

ianletton

Post by ianletton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 pm

I would happily lend my paddles to someone if they asked in the hope that they would return the favour should I ever need it.

Ian
IanLetton

Chrace

Post by Chrace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Hmm, I had kind of the same recently so to carry on the thread:

I was going abroad for a weekend when heavy rain was forecast. There was some mumbling in the club about going to do some small rocky ditches and especially one guy was moaning as he had just sold his old creeker and hadn't gotten a new one yet. I almost told him he could use mine. Almost. Comments?

(And btw, I would have said no as well. Mostly because they were expensive paddles and you need them for work. I often lend my paddles to people but they are standard £150 stuff. I see it as you have to be prepared to lose what you lend to people - some day something will get lost, for whatever reasons. And some are prepared to lose more, some less.)

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Ian Letton wrote:
I would happily lend my paddles to someone if they asked in the hope that they would return the favour should I ever need it.
Ian,

You are a very philanthropic young man, your mum and dad must be very pround of you, I take my hat off to your benevolant approach to your fellow man/paddlers.

Peter

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Chrace wrote:Hmm, I had kind of the same recently so to carry on the thread:

I was going abroad for a weekend when heavy rain was forecast. There was some mumbling in the club about going to do some small rocky ditches and especially one guy was moaning as he had just sold his old creeker and hadn't gotten a new one yet. I almost told him he could use mine. Almost. Comments?
Paddles are much more personal, I have lent boats out loads of times usually to people who have just lost or pinned theirs..... Classic example would be not paddling the Nevis and staying in the car at the top. 20 minutes later Greig knocks on the window - his Jive was pinned in boulderblast and he needed a loan of my spud to finish the river - no problem. My paddles would have been a different matter, although back then I was still using a set of worn out Wenatchees so maybe :-)

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Boats I'd lend to anyone, and have done many times. Paddles? Never. Not a chance.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”