River Braan enquiry, final decision

Inland paddling
neilfarmer

River Braan enquiry, final decision

Post by neilfarmer »

The news came in today that the Scottish Government have rejected NPowers appeal against the refusal by SEPA to award a CAR license. This means that there will be no hydro scheme on the River Braan. More details can be found on the SCA website, front page-Stop press. www.canoescotland.com

I am personally very pleased with this result, it was a huge amount of work from a lot of people. The River Braan will now retain its unique beauty for future generations. I hope that this is the first step towards better cooperation between river users and renewable energy providers. It will not mean "no more hydros on any paddleable river", but it does mean that we will be considered. A big step forward.
Neil Farmer.

Poke

Re: River Braan enquiry, final decision

Post by Poke »

Sterling effort Neil.
Many thanks to you and anyone else who put in time and effort into this positive result.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Yep big pat on the back to all those who put their efforts into this! Very good job!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Dave McCraw

Post by Dave McCraw »

Epic win, well done to the SCA & all who wrote in support.

Although the government is reputed to be leaning heavily on everyone to pass small-scale hydro, hopefully this will give us a bigger voice on future applications, or at least their mitigations...

RichA

Post by RichA »

Brilliant, that's a good foot in the door. I'm all for HEP, but only in sensible places!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Nice work Neil and all at SCA who played a part in this.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

CptBorg

Post by CptBorg »

Agreed. A genuine legacy. Well done!
River Rambo or Paddling Hermit depending on the day!

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

Well done to all who fought to save this river and the SCA.
Nicholas Ball

wild river

Post by wild river »

That is great news
Thanks to everyone to worked to keep this great river available

Barny P

Post by Barny P »

This is odd, we are told in geography that all HEP potential has already been used in the UK and that the only renewable source whith potential to meet the Uk's demand is offshore wind.
Barny P

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Barny P wrote:This is odd, we are told in geography that all HEP potential has already been used in the UK and that the only renewable source whith potential to meet the Uk's demand is offshore wind.
Blooming teachers. They know nothing you know. If they were any good at what they taught, they would be doing that, not teaching.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Poke

Post by Poke »

Wilf wrote:
Barny P wrote:This is odd, we are told in geography that all HEP potential has already been used in the UK and that the only renewable source whith potential to meet the Uk's demand is offshore wind.
Blooming teachers. They know nothing you know. If they were any good at what they taught, they would be doing that, not teaching.
Don't you, err, teach kayaking? :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Neil, congrats to yourself and all involved on final victory in a long and hard fought campaign - one which was fought for all of the right reasons.

Wilf wrote:If they were any good at what they taught, they would be doing that, not teaching.
I'm a History teacher, but I live in terror that people might one day get the idea that I actually know something about History - at which point, I'd have to do a job that didn't pay over £40k, didn't finish at 3.20 pm and didn't dish out 13 weeks holiday a year.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

buck197

Post by buck197 »

Great news guys and a super reward for all the hard work.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Poke wrote:
Wilf wrote:
Don't you, err, teach kayaking? :-)
:-)

My bad dude.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Mark R wrote:Neil, congrats to yourself and all involved on final victory in a long and hard fought campaign - one which was fought for all of the right reasons.

Wilf wrote:If they were any good at what they taught, they would be doing that, not teaching.
I'm a History teacher, but I live in terror that people might one day get the idea that I actually know something about History - at which point, I'd have to do a job that didn't pay over £40k, didn't finish at 3.20 pm and didn't dish out 13 weeks holiday a year.
Mark, sssshhhhhh. Don't give people ideas, We have such strong standing in the community. If you are not careful people will think we are over paid and only work for 2/3s of the year. :-)

Good work on the river stuff Neill! (and sorry for distracting from your efforts as well).
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Blobby

Post by Blobby »

Well done to Neli, Mike and evryone else involved in the Brann, I have fond memories of being spanked at the spltter rapid and look forward to hearing more scary high flow stories of this gem of a river for years to come! I know that this has been a lot of hard work and effort for all those involved and a bit of a Landmark case so well done again guys!

gordon ross

Post by gordon ross »

Excellent news. A big well done to all who did their bit to help pretect this fine section of river. Neil, is their any info available on why the application was unsuccessful.

pickenjohn

Post by pickenjohn »

I would like to add my thanks to all who worked so hard for the Braan campaign. I was SCA Access co ordinator at the time of the proposal and responsible for co-ordinating the SCA submission. I would like to take this opportunity to thank a few folk, so sorry to those I miss - it was a while ago!
Firstly remembering Andy Jackson for setting the initial response when the proposal was first announced. From the beginning Ian Thom played a key role in analysing the hydro data, our pulling apart the Npower figures and contributing key water flow and safety concerns to the submission. The Fort William paddlers with Kenny Biggin, Bridget Dales and Ali Martin (plus others) helped keep me on track and provided the core section in the response on the river. A further key to the SCA response were all the paddlers from around the world who wrote in to Perth & Kinross in protest. Their contribution was invaluable.
Finally from my perspective thanks to Mike Dales who never let the pressure drop, to the SCA, Eddie Palmer and Neil Farmer for their support.
Finally appreciation must go to Sport Scotland and particularly to SEPA.
SEPA took a strong stand and in a sense put themselves on the line - they deserve special appreciation. It was their refusal of a licence which won the day.
A lot of work from a great many people went into the Braan campaign. My thanks to all of you.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

A massive thank you to all involved in this.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Will done to SCA and others who helped. Fantastic river saved. Thank you.

pickenjohn

Post by pickenjohn »

Grovelling amendment to my post: amongst the paddlers from Fort William was Bid Thomas not Bridget Dales who was the SCA liaison person at SNH handing the SCA grant and had no role in the SCA response. Only excuse is I am hassled fixing son's bike (done)so he can get to work after dropping car for MOT and brakes on my wife's car (definitely not done at 9.45pm) and both GOT to be done for tomorrow. And its raining. But why on earth fit drum brakes on a modern car, springs can be a nightmare. Excuses, excuses excuses.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Excellent news.

Thanks to the SCA officers (who have taken some abuse about other matters recently) that have supported this at all stages, and of course all the volunteers many of whom John has listed.

Jim

bigdave17

Post by bigdave17 »

gordon ross wrote:Excellent news. A big well done to all who did their bit to help pretect this fine section of river. Neil, is their any info available on why the application was unsuccessful.
apparently refused due to:
environmental impact.
Impact on recreation (kayaking)
and the relatively small amount of leccy it would produce.

Well done neil and everyone else. I finally managed to paddle the gorge this year and its awesome.

callum s

Post by callum s »

Fantastic news, big thanks to everyone for helping to protect one of my local runs.

Mikey joe

Post by Mikey joe »

Thank you to everyone involved in this no matter how much your input. This is a credit to and a legacy from everyone who worked so hard on this.

A hugely sincere and grateful thanks

MK

bigbird

Post by bigbird »

Fantastic news, thanks to all who helped push for it. I heard the news in the snowy Italian Alps, and kinda lost the plot in enthusiasm, buying a round of the best malt in the bar for a group of folks who didn't have a clue what I was wittering about. Some of them are beginner paddlers who I promised one day to drag down the Braan gorge kicking and screaming as I've done so many times before; THEN they'll understand ;->
Cheers all,
Iain

banzer

Post by banzer »

Great news, well done everyone for the hard work! Looking forward to more blind chaseboating above the Coffin rapid in future.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Notters

Post by Notters »

Excellent news and well done to neil and team for putting in shed loads of time into this.

Means it will still be there for when i do eventually get round to running the gorge!!
Notters@Team_Borders

OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Thank you to all those involved in getting this hydro application turned around. A group of 10 from the Inverness club ran the Upper Braan on Saturday. Sweet to run it right after hearing the news. It was at a lovely level and a fab read and run grade 3+. Keeps you on your toes. Very special. Do pre mark the get out. Afterwards, go and scare yourself- just by looking at the Rumbling Bridge falls!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”