HPP Water Quality

Inland paddling
Nev Hallam

Re: HPP Water Quality

Post by Nev Hallam »

Been kayaking near on 5 months now, had my 4th visit to hpp last Sunday and spent the week with this Trent Belly or or whatever you call it. I plan to return next week, if it happens again I'll definitely have to re-think using the place.
There's always a catch! Live close enough to use it twice a week but don't want to experience that again. Hopefully the more I go the less I'll get it.

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Never paddle water you can chew.

Or pick up in a net!

peteri

Post by peteri »

Apart from the odd bit of bad luck, which can happen anywhere (I've never been ill from HPP, but have been sick as a dog from Hurley - my daughter who was with me both times is the other way around). I think the key thing is what you do when you get off.

How many people wash their hands before eating after getting off? And also - make sure that after they've got home, hung up kit (assuming you do this!) etc - washed them again.

Number of people you see at HPP who get straight off the river and go to that burger van/Morrisons

Pete

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Spoke about this with an HPP regular the other day. HPP can't be any worse than any other river such as the Thames, Severn etc. One point he made is that unlike venues such as Hurley and other weirs and natural rivers that people go on, at HPP they regularly test the water, and in fact have it examined at at the local Uni. It's probably the most monitored water quality of any regular kayaking area.

The point has been brought up before about people washing their hands before eating or putting their hands anywhere near their mouths. Open cuts and broken skin are also an issue and something we took precautions about when I used to Dragon Boat even on rivers such as the Avon.

As others have observed, it is amazing how many people go straight to eating their food or going to a burger van etc without washing their hands after having been on the river.

Nev Hallam

Post by Nev Hallam »

Not sure about washing hands, I myself use the shower facilities with a shower gel, I then eat my dinner at home with a knife and fork. Not sure if the quality is good or bad however I did speak to a group of 25 who used the facility, 14 of which all got ill, I guess they never washed their hands either!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”