Post by Wilf »

So, is a boof a skill?
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Betty

Re: Is boofing skilful?

Post by Betty »

Is boofing sometimes a substitute for skill?

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

To the original question, nope.

Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Wilf wrote:So, is a boof a skill?
Yes.

ol

Post by ol »

Yes...Next.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Ask 'Boof or Die'... ;o)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

A boof stroke is a correct forward paddle stroke, at the right time and place, and little more. The skill however, is the precise placement and effectiveness of the paddler to hold blade pressure through the execution of this stroke, whilst maintaining lower torso body tension and upper torso rotation to land upright.

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Boofing is a technique, which if applied correctly & appropriately would be skillful -yes.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Ask someone who's just failed to do one...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

A boof is just a movement.

It may be achieved by paddling hard and keeping your nose up; that's not a skill (nor is it massively reliable).

The skill is in learning the correct technique to execute the movement on demand.

The differential between basic boofs and more advanced boofing (like flaring, late-boofing, stomping and boofing off undefined lips) seems to be the differental between being good and being Really good.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Getting the timeing and placement right is skillful.

Tuomas

Post by Tuomas »

Depends on the environment.

Boofing = keeping the nose up or landing flat .

Some features have autoboof and some are incredible hard to boof, so a lot of skill (or luck) is needed in that case.

guy

Post by guy »

Ask someone who's just failed to do one...

Mike
Well Dave T... How is the hospital food?

I think the broken back may have been something to do with boofing off right angle falls when perhaps another technique would have been more suitable.

Gary F

Post by Gary F »

guy wrote:I think the broken back may have been something to do with boofing off right angle falls
Possibyl, although I suspect it may be more to do with running right angle at dog low levels. Run right angle when it's pumping without a boof? No thanks :)

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

I think so.
Betty wrote:Is boofing sometimes a substitute for skill?
I can't really see how.
Compare the extremes - boof or melt - where both options are viable, which is more vulnerable to chance? In most cases the latter, surely. Hence the development of the former.
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth »

Gary F wrote:
guy wrote:I think the broken back may have been something to do with boofing off right angle falls
Possibyl, although I suspect it may be more to do with running right angle at dog low levels. Run right angle when it's pumping without a boof? No thanks :)
I agree with this! I don't recommend not boofing right angle when its high...It is rather scary...especially if your deck somehow 'comes off' and you go for a swim! ;-)

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

How on earth would you argue that boofing isn't skillful?

I don't recall many crucial boof moves that I've pulled off by accident ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

I'm with Mark on this boofing is a skill and is skill full, a skill doesnt have to be overly complex yes it maybe just a forward stroke but there ar many elements to getting it right see the posts above.

I have never unintentaly boofed i have unintentialy missed my boof and ended up penciling off a drop.

Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Gary F wrote: Possibyl, although I suspect it may be more to do with running right angle at dog low levels. Run right angle when it's pumping without a boof? No thanks :)
Well you suspect wrong there Gary, it was medium/high levels. Just an over enthusiastic boof without leaning forward quickly enough before landing.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Dave T wrote:
Gary F wrote: Possibyl, although I suspect it may be more to do with running right angle at dog low levels. Run right angle when it's pumping without a boof? No thanks :)
Well you suspect wrong there Gary, it was medium/high levels. Just an over enthusiastic boof without leaning forward quickly enough before landing.
Yeah, I very nearly ended up the same way once. Got thrown towards the green water in the eddy at the side.

Anyway, yes, of course boofing is a skill.
As Mark was getting at, I think the best way to "prove" this is for someone to come on here and try to argue why boofing is not a skill... any takers?
The best effort at this I can see above is Simon/Josh's nit-picking that a boof it merely a movement of the boat, whereas the skill is the actions required to make it happen.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Liam Kirkham

Post by Liam Kirkham »

Why the question Wilf?

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Just doing some soul searching really.

I am certainly not suggesting that it (boofing) isn't skilfull, and to a point it is a rhetorical question.

Boofing is a technique, as already mentioned, when applied in at the correct time, in the correct environment then it has become a skill.

Needless to say, that any skill has component parts, A component part of boofing is forwards paddling (or maybe even backwards, is that possible, not sure, I think it is...stop rambling)...

So, if it is a skill, which I think it is, because it is not just forwards paddling, but involves other accurately timed and pre-planned body gesture to coincide with it, then...

...I guess my point is, whilst I absolutely agree that the same skills that a paddler uses in their early development are the same core set of skills they rely upon later in their progression, the key / core / fundamental skills whatever you wish to call them, are the foundation, the bulding blocks on which everything else hangs. So to boof involves forwards paddling, but is not just forwards paddling. You can boof because you can forward paddle, but because you can paddle fowards does not mean you can boof.

Therefore I respectfully submit that there are core or key skill that need to be mastered before they can be applied within other strategies/techniques. In other words, get the basics right.

Thanks for asking Liam!
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:A boof is just a movement.
A boof is just an outcome: landing the boat on top of the water.

Choosing and applying the movements needed to achieve that outcome is the skill.

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

Now we're getting semantic...!

I've just got back from doing girly Pilates in a room full of girly girls (moral support from t'other half mind you). I'm putting myself through this in order to improve my inadequate core strength, such is my commitment to finally perfecting this skill...

Actually it's quite good fun. Hurts a bit, but that means it's workin'!
Last edited by kieronymous on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

David Fairweather wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:A boof is just a movement.
A boof is just an outcome: landing the boat on top of the water.

Choosing and applying the movements needed to achieve that outcome is the skill.

Agreed.

But this is no different to any other physical performance is it? (said in a discursive, not argumentative tone)
kieronymous wrote:Now we're getting semantic...!

... which I think is the point you were making.
Last edited by Wilf on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Wilf wrote:So, if it is a skill, which I think it is, because it is not just forwards paddling,
I am thinking that there are a lot of semantics going on in this whole thread, trying to differentiate between a technique and a skill or maybe even an outcome which is presumably the result of some action which one might decide is either skillful or not.

I selected this little clip from your post Wilf because it sounds as if you are suggesting that forward paddling is not a skill but a technique. I have to say that sounds rather a strange proposition and maybe something you would not be suggesting to Dr Brabants.

As to a boof, I'll take one of my club novices on the river and point then at a neat pourover and see if they are skillful enough to perform a boof. Then we'll see.

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Wilf wrote:So, if it is a skill, which I think it is, because it is not just forwards paddling,
I am thinking that there are a lot of semantics going on in this whole thread, trying to differentiate between a technique and a skill or maybe even an outcome which is presumably the result of some action which one might decide is either skillful or not.

I selected this little clip from your post Wilf because it sounds as if you are suggesting that forward paddling is not a skill but a technique. I have to say that sounds rather a strange proposition and maybe something you would not be suggesting to Dr Brabants.

As to a boof, I'll take one of my club novices on the river and point then at a neat pourover and see if they are skillful enough to perform a boof. Then we'll see.

My goodness, it can get so complicated eh?

Thanks for pointing that out Adrian, no I am certainly not suggesting that FWDs Pdling is not a skill, I am suggesting that some skills are complex and involve sub-skills.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Liam

Post by Liam »

and there I thought all new creek boats autoboof!

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

So the manufacturers would love us all to believe!

kayakgrrl

Post by kayakgrrl »

Ah ha, this topic just helped me realise why my attempts at boofing often/usually fail. Doing the paddle movement (which may or may not be placed/timed right), but totally forgetting the body thrust. Thanks!
If only my cat could paddle life will be perfect.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”