National Access Forum

Inland paddling
Mark R

National Access Forum

Post by Mark R »

To the best of my knowledge, no formal reply has yet been received to James F's EGM motion letter, countersigned by 70 BCU paddlers.

However, an interesting little snippet has just popped up....

http://www.riversaccess.org

(not on the front page mind, find the 'news' page and read the second item down)
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Third item down is interesting too, bearing in mind that the BCU mentioned some press releases in an email to Phil D in another post. They stated that these press releases would be some time after the Access Policy meeting.

Martin

James F nli

Post by James F nli »

I am workimg through some details currently ref. EGM. After receiving the original EGM letter the BCU called me and appeared to agree with what the EGM letter said and offered to enact our proposals without going to an EGM. I wrote a letter to them with very clear action points as a way forward. EGM's really are a last resort because a. they are difficult and costly to organise b. show canoeists to third parties as divided c. no guarantee that enough of us would show up (ref. turn out for Dee Day).

I have been discussing some parts of the action plan letter with PO and TJ, this week via email. The discussion revolved around one or two of the action points that had not received formal agreement.

In the meantime I find out that one of the earliest agreed action points (TJ's access forum) has not turned out quite as I had believed it would. Which has caused me to become pretty frigging annoyed.

If you go through to the link to the Access Forum details you will see that a. the forum takes place in 30 days time b. it is being advertised on a relatively obscure website and nowhere else (that I have noticed) c. it is only open to BCU members d. only 100 people can go e. those people have to apply for a ticket.

That is not the sort of all inclusive access forum that I was led to believe would happen. This situation is symptomatic of the BCU's attitude. They are wriggling feckers. Even if we do go to an EGM, they will to some degree wriggle out of anything they agree to.

I can't go to this event in 30 days time, as I just found about it, and that is my Stag do weekend. I can not now change the dates on all the people who have agreed to come and the weekend just wont be the same without the Stag.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

James wrote:

b. it is being advertised on a relatively obscure website and nowhere else (that I have noticed)

There was actually a flyer in yesterday's Canoe Focus. Only slightly more prominent, I grant you, and still an audience of BCU members only! But if they are the targetted audience ......!!

Dave Thomas

steveparry

Post by steveparry »

indeed...why London, it being a veritable hotbed of access problems (maybe my sarcasm is misplaced??). I suspect the majority of paddlers who are directly affected by access disputes will not be able to go simply due to it being in London. If I don't get a ticket, hope it goes well.

It would be good however, if the event is massively oversubscribed, that will send the message we need even if the meeting doesn't!

James F

Post by James F »

In defence of London as a venue, its got to be somewhere and the country is fairly large (meaning the majority of people are going to be inconvenienced wherever it is).

The BCU's AGM is in Edinburgh for which the same applies, including the amount of notice needed to realisitically be able to sort oneself out enough to get there.

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

James/Mark/Anyone

Aer you planning on going to the AGM meeting? I for one would gladly transfer my proxy vote to a real person who was attending.

If anyone is going to the AGM, let me know and I'll happily transfer my proxy voting form*.

Rich

* Assuming you aren't a secret riparian/angling/polo sympathiser :-)

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I will probably be going to the London thing - although it's far from convenient - but have asked for a copy of the Agenda...might as well know what the point of it will be first.
Last edited by Mark R on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

'Canoe Focus' just arrived. I eventually found the brief and uninformative slip of paper about the Forum, mixed in with four advertising fliers, all of which I'd initially binned when opening the mag.

In the mag itself, a small column on p.12 outlines all the achievements of the Rivers Access Campaign in its first year.

'Achievement #9 - widened Communication about the Access issue.'
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Phil.Dunn

Post by Phil.Dunn »

'Achievement #9 - widened Communication about the Access issue.'
errrr, exactly how?

Sorry, just a bit of a cynicism.

James F

Post by James F »

The Gene17 Lakes Adventure Paddling Weekend is the same weekend as the AGM. Simon asked me to take some photos there ages ago, so I have made arangements (taken a day of work, as has g/f) to be there.

The BCU asked us all to go to the AGM in Edinburgh, what yesterday? I'm not going. Maybe, as a suggestion, they could let us know a little earlier.

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

guidebook wrote:I will probably be going to the London thing - although it's far from convenient -
Guidebook.. you did say (jokingly) the Wandle was on your rivers wish list;
The perfect oppurtunity, catch the Thames tide right and keep paddling up to Westminster pier !

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I cannot attend this, but have a ticket spare.

I also have the agenda, not that it casts any light on what the event is intended to achieve.

Email me if you would like it.

markAT ukriversguidebookDOTcoDOTuk
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”