Canoe trailer help

Inland paddling
alex kerr

Canoe trailer help

Post by alex kerr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Has any one out there got any knowledge of these trailers.
They seem pretty genuine but im a tad concerned as they are lot cheaper than most other trailers. Any help on this would be great.

http://www.wilstow.co.uk/Wilstow_Traile ... iler_.html

a boy named sue

Re: Canoe trailer help

Post by a boy named sue » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello, the trailer looks good, its cheaper as its sprayed and not hot dipped galvanized. Differance being when the paint wears off the trailer will rust and will need painting every year if used lots. Also the material look fairly light, a normal trailer uses box on the cross arms which is very stiff if you need to climb on them to get the top boat off. The angle will bend over a long time as it is weak and will ring. Overall depends on how much you are going to use it, if only a handful of times then it will be ok but if used regularly then it wont last long without needing repair. Also leaf suspension would be the worst set up ever due to needing lots of weight to make it run smooth which canoes aren't, this would cause it to bounce all over the road and be a nightmare to tow. Hope this helps

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 pm

I disagree. Your car is not galvanised and car panels are 8 times thinner than that angle. Only needs galvanising if your dipping it in the sea all the time. Also angle is as strong as any section, it will have been calculated on a size/load basis. Take a look at the Eifel tower or a bridge. The trailer is great.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Just looked closer, its not angle its U channel main sections, even better.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm

A car is very different and yes your car will probably be galvanized, all my vw's are galvanized under the paint. Yes the chassis is made from U section which will be strong but the cross bars which the canoes sit on are angle which is not good as there not as strong as a box section. If they used box as the cross section then yes the trailer would be good but as i said if your only using it a few times a year then it will be fine. Would be interesting to know how much the trailer is ?

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 am

No theyre not,they may be electro plated with a couple of microns of zinc, certainly not hot dipped galvanised like a boat trailer would be . And it doesnt matter what section a steel bar is, a thin walled box or a thicker angle ,both can be specd to take the load. It is wrong to state that a box is stronger than an angle.I allways make my trailers with angle as there will be no unseen corrosion as with a box section (even galvanised ones rot from inside out) A 5mm angle iron will last at least 20 years even unpainted.

NPearce

Post by NPearce » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:52 am

Galvanised or Zinc Electroplated??????

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

Hahaha, ye, Harry Hill for prime minister, hed get my vote every time

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm

I can't find any prices on this product so can't comment on if it's cheap.

I will say that I'm with Rich on this one. It comes as a 'Self Assembly' Kit too.What with Leaf Springs and no Dampers it's going to bounce like a demon when you tow it!

If you are looking for a Club Trailer, we use a company called Motive Trailers. These are really well made and near indestructible.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Performance Kayaks wrote:What with Leaf Springs and no Dampers it's going to bounce like a demon when you tow it!
Not necessarily - I used to tow a variety of trailers, including a medium sized general purpose trailer with leaf springs and it was no more or less likely to bounce (loaded or unloaded) than a 6 boat canoe trailer which was fitted with Indespension units.

Mike

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Yes, leaf springs are far superior to those indespension units, sureley you dont think they have dampers ?
The trailer will be fine. Look at the load specs. If it measures up to the weight of boats you envisage carrying then youre game on.

davidmann

Post by davidmann » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Probably at the top end of the scale but the Burtech trailers are the business. We've got one 10 years + old and it's still spot on.

alex kerr

Post by alex kerr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

cheers for the help so far guys, you have sort of confermed what i already thought.

the price of one is £570 as a flat pack and thats off fleabay buy it now price
so i think this could be the one unless i can find a super cheap second hand one

its useage isnt going to be great or to high maybe half a dozen times each summer really

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”