Fundraising online?

Inland paddling
Mark R

Fundraising online?

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:32 pm

One night last November, large numbers (over 100?) of members of the Dartmoor Rescue Group (in particular, from the DSRT Ashburton), in at least three different search teams, spent hours on a Saturday night walking in to the Dart valley,in order to offer assistance to Chris Wheeler. After they had ascertained that Chris had died, they then spent until at least 4 am carrying him up out of the valley.

By pure coincidence and for unrelated reasons (i.e. midlife crisis) I had already entered a local marathon event (taking place in May) before this accident. For obvious reasons, I would now like to use my lame running efforts to try and raise some money for the teams, to offer thanks for their assistance that night. Ideally I'd like to donate funds raised to the Ashburton group - http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... Ashburton/

The problem is setting this up - they are not registered with any of the online donation services (as far as I can see) and I can't blame them - they all seem to require the charity to pay them money!

So, my question - how do I raise funds for them online? Is there any better way than simply asking folk to PayPal money to me (which would presumably be legally dubious)? Ideally I want people to be able to cough up from the comfort of their laptops ...

Any advice welcome ...

Mark R
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

RMK

Re: Fundraising online?

Post by RMK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Justgiving (like all such services) requires payment/subscription from the charity, as I noted.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Im sure the charity will have a charity number, if people were willing they could donate money to the charity directly, in your name. with a donation recipt number could be forwerded to yourself, this is how we got round it with our scout group.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 pm

I was going to suggest JustGiving. They charge 5%, but taken from the Gift Aid they claim back on behalf of charities (but thinking again the charity could claim back its own Gift Aid if it didn't use their service), and coming out of the donation for a non charity. But it's easy for the donor and focused. I've contributed through JustGiving a number of times when I would have avoided someone collecting in the street.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Rdscott wrote:if people were willing they could donate money to the charity directly
How would they do this? I know literally nothing about money.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm

JohnK wrote:I was going to suggest JustGiving. They charge 5%, but taken from the Gift Aid they claim back on behalf of charities (but thinking again the charity could claim back its own Gift Aid if it didn't use their service), and coming out of the donation for a non charity. But it's easy for the donor and focused. I've contributed through JustGiving a number of times when I would have avoided someone collecting in the street.
Again ... they are not registered with Justgiving (or similar sites) and have no immediate plans to - JG for instance, would require a £15 a month subscription from them.

Agree though that online is the way to go, it's the only way I ever cough up for charity.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:11 pm

It litraly works with a direct donation cash cheque on paypal transfer to the charitys account, 9for a charity to be registered all money has to go through a bank) the person whils dontating this says who it is from and who is in behalf of, and they can ask for a donation number. which they can then email you to tell you that they have donated.

Essentaly no money is coming from you but directly from your supporters.

there is another plus side to this, if the donations come in sepratly instead of as a bulk from a company like just giving the charity can claim (what is essentaly tax back on each donation) which is roughly 25% of the donation, so if some one donated £10 the charity could claim off the goverment for charity aid i think its called and recive an extra £2.50

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm

How about bank transfer?
All you need is the account number and sort code for the charity account and enter your running event title in the reference field. People can then use their online banking to donate.
I always offer bank transfer whenever I am buying something from someone and it doesn't incur any fee and I am sure everyone has paid a bill via bank transfer.
When I used to run the 3 Peaks charity events we did bank transfers to the nominated charity and if my memory serves me right, because the account is a charity there are no bank charges.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

peakfreak wrote:How about bank transfer?
All you need is the account number and sort code for the charity account and enter your running event title in the reference field. People can then use their online banking to donate.
I always offer bank transfer whenever I am buying something from someone and it doesn't incur any fee and I am sure everyone has paid a bill via bank transfer.
When I used to run the 3 Peaks charity events we did bank transfers to the nominated charity and if my memory serves me right, because the account is a charity there are no bank charges.
So ... I would need to get hold of the charity bank details ... would PayPal payments to their account then be possible?

Please excuse my total ignorance here.

Mark
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Some points of clarification. Dartmoor Rescue Group is a charity. Ashburton team is not, it's part of DRG. Mark wants the funds to go direct to the Ashburton team.

Anyone can donate to a charity. If the donor is a taxpayer, by making a Gift Aid declaration, the tax that the donor has paid can be claimed back by the charity. The declaration can be written, automatically recorded on a website, or verbal (with written follow up). Certain details need to be recorded for HMRC to be able to check that the donor has paid tax.

Reinforcing what I said above, even though the likes of JustGiving takes 5%, the overall amount collected will probably be higher because of the faff in doing it some other way.
Rdscott wrote:there is another plus side to this, if the donations come in sepratly instead of as a bulk from a company like just giving the charity can claim (what is essentaly tax back on each donation) which is roughly 25% of the donation, so if some one donated £10 the charity could claim off the goverment for charity aid I think its called and recive an extra £2.50
Having just made a successfiul GiftAid claim on behalf of my club I don't believe that is correct.
Rdscott wrote:It litraly works with a direct donation cash cheque on paypal transfer to the charitys account, 9for a charity to be registered all money has to go through a bank) the person whils dontating this says who it is from and who is in behalf of, and they can ask for a donation number. which they can then email you to tell you that they have donated.
I suppose in theory donors could email the details required for the declaration and send money to a PayPal account but that's untidy.
Mark R wrote: would PayPal payments to their account then be possible?
You could do electronic banking direct to their account. No need for PayPal.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Mark R wrote: So ... I would need to get hold of the charity bank details ... would PayPal payments to their account then be possible?

Please excuse my total ignorance here.

Mark
Yep & yep.

Just advertise the charity account number and sort code and ask donaters to enter a reference something like "Mark's charity hari kari marathon run" and the payments can be made either via a persons online banking or via PayPal. Though there is still a PayPal fee to be paid if a debit or credit card is used. The fee can be paid by either the sender or the charity.

River Honey

Post by River Honey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm

A few weeks ago I had a fundraising meeting with Combat Stress, they recommended a website called bmycharity.com apparently its free to use, however I am not sure how charities register and if they have to pay a one off fee.

One other way to do it is set up a specific fundraising bank account and have everyone pay into that.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 pm

River Honey wrote:...One other way to do it is set up a specific fundraising bank account and have everyone pay into that.
Wouldn't Mark have to register his event as a charity though to do this? Otherwise couldn't he fall foul of money laundering laws?

One way to set up a fund raising account is to set the event up as a club event, but you would need a commitee of members (Chairperson, Treasurer etc) along with a club constitution to open the account. Bank stipulations then would mean at least 2 people would have to sign any cheques/withdraw money etc. A full set of accounts would have to be available showing incomings and outgoings during and after the event. Once set up the donations would still have to come via bank transfers, paypal, cash, cheques etc. It's a while since I set up a club in this way so things may have changed and the NWCP event was held in a totally different format so wasn't subject to many of the distance donation rulings.
Without fully knowing what Mark has in mind for his event it is hard to say whether an interim account such as this would be viable.
If it is just a case of Mark runs a marathon, so give us your cash, then a route such as this does seem a lot of faff just to achieve the same result of receiving payments. If he is planning on doing a series of events over several months then I am sure he would be able to put together a commitee without too much trouble.

The Charities Commision has some very good advice on setting up a club in this way but as with anything nowadays it is a case of how many hoops you are willing to jump through.

Mark could also try the Charities Aid Foundation. I have never dealt with these before and I would speculate that they would also take some form of fee for thier services as most (if not all) intermediary organisations in this field do.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks for the various suggestions - as I know nothing about handling or organising money (except how to spend it), I was glad when someone kindly pointed out an online donation service that doesn't require any subscription from the charity.

Hence ... http://www.everyclick.com/markrainsley

This is just a first draft - there will be a few things to add, e.g. it's quite likely that a load of female friends will be running a relay version of the same event, if so the page will be updated accordingly.

I will go away and do a lot of running, and then publicise my intentions properly, nearer the event.

With gratitude all,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Martyn Read

Post by Martyn Read » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am

May be a bit late now, but this one is also commission free - http://www.bmycharity.com/

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Mark R wrote:
JohnK wrote:I was going to suggest JustGiving. They charge 5%, but taken from the Gift Aid they claim back on behalf of charities (but thinking again the charity could claim back its own Gift Aid if it didn't use their service), and coming out of the donation for a non charity. But it's easy for the donor and focused. I've contributed through JustGiving a number of times when I would have avoided someone collecting in the street.
Again ... they are not registered with Justgiving (or similar sites) and have no immediate plans to - JG for instance, would require a £15 a month subscription from them.
Wow.
Either JG have changed their policies or they are hiding that pretty well from us mugs that have used them in the past. I was definitely left with the impression that JG was entirely funded from the gift aid (where applicable). I'm appalled that they have a standing subscription, that's hopeless for small charities.

Sorry not aware of anyone else doing this.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”