*Top Job at Magazine!!!!*

Inland paddling

*Top Job at Magazine!!!!*

Post by Guest »

Wanted - Proof reader for *Playboating magazine*
----------------------------------------------------------

The successful candidate will be required to work for only one hour, four times a year, to skim through the mag before it goes to print...

% Must be able to spot when articles are missing the odd page or two (e.g. see Wiggy Interview).

% Must be able to notice when large chunks of text are randomly repasted or repeated (e.g. Helix article).

% Must be able to spot very short sections of text which somehow manage to cram in several dozen spelling and grammatical errors (e.g. see 'Orbit', 'Fish', 'Allstar' reviews).

How hard can all this be? Anyone with their own dictionary is invited to apply.

When this post is filled, our otherwise excellent quality magazine may cease to be a source of post-paddling pub humour across the land.

Oisin

details

Post by Oisin »

how do you apply/ get more details?

Mark R

Re: details

Post by Mark R »

Oisin wrote:how do you apply/ get more details?

I imagine you could try

irony@windup.com
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Scooter1969

Post by Scooter1969 »

It's Ironic!!!
( Quote: Massive in the remake of Mean Machine)

Dug

Post by Dug »

heh

Stronze

Post by Stronze »

But why should there be any proofreading? It would cost money and reduce the time available to the team to research into and tell us what music we should all listen to...

I will withdraw my subscription forthwith.

Neil

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

Not forgetting all the latest info on some skateboard thingies, which is obviously why I buy a paddling mag?

Rich

yonfan nli

Playboater

Post by yonfan nli »

Give them a break, it's actually one of the better boating magazines and the articles, photos and layout are generally excellent.

If you think you can do better then I'm sure they accept contributions. Just contact the editor.

Jon

Post by Guest »

no it is not a bouting mag should be about bouthing not a lot of other stuff and boutibg on the side. also if we pay £4 we expect all the pages and a proper mag

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

Jon

The content is good, BUT that is content "contributed" and the contributions are nearly always excellent. BUT, the editorial side of things, proofing and checking content, etc is, and always has been, below par. Its time consuming, and requires quite an anal attitude to the work, but really should be done when you are trying to sell to a wide audience.

Sorry thats harsh, but its true.

Rich

Mark R

anal? that'd be me then....

Post by Mark R »

boater rich wrote:the editorial side of things, proofing and checking content, etc is, and always has been, below par.
I'm not sure it's always the case but certainly this month is a bit embarrassing. I'm going to get in touch and see if they need a volunteer to skim through the layouts before publication.

Have my own red pen.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

Ok always is a bit strong, but its not exactly the first issue with repeated sections, typos and articles in the wrong order.

Rich

kayako jacko

Post by kayako jacko »

Well done Mark - good pro-active attitude to make a better outcome for us all.
I would offer myself but having been the subject of the Ukrivers spelling police am to scared.

Jacko

Adrian Cooper

Editor

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Blue Pencil is the traditional tool Mark.

Adrian

Pete C.

PB mag

Post by Pete C. »

Not forgetting all the latest info on some skateboard thingies, which is obviously why I buy a paddling mag?
I really enjoyed that article. I've just done a tot up and at least 20 of my paddling mates skate - I can think of maybe two or three regular paddling buddies who don't have boards. It definitely read loads better than some of the drier paddling articles I've seen published.

Pete.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”