Axiom vs Z.one pros and cons

Inland paddling
EdC

Axiom vs Z.one pros and cons

Post by EdC »

how do the Axiom and Z.one compare, advantages or disadvantages? To my mind they appear to be aiming at a similar space in the market, but what are the differences? Anyone tried both and have a preference and if so why?

Ed

Wilf

Re: Axiom vs Z.one pros and cons

Post by Wilf »

I have paddled both.

The Z one is far less tail-happy than the Axiom. The Axiom sits lower in the water and is quite a "wet" boat. The Z One is softer at the stern and it's increased volume there gives a more predictable ride.

I would say the Dagger carries the typical characteristics of Dagger's River running series seen ever since the introduction of the RPM. A fast, slalomesk boat where engaginging, as well as disengaging the stern gets the best out of the boat.

The Z one is a more forgiving, balanced ride, and probably a better all round river runner / ocean surf boat.

The Axiom was easier to tailie than the Z one as you might expect, but both surfed river waves with ease. Side surfing the Z one was again more forgiving.

I've not taken either boat out in ocean surf, but both should work nicely, with the Z One giving fewer problems on the paddle out.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

das bump

Post by das bump »

Biased?

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

das bump wrote:Biased?
rolleyes.
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I had a Redline as my first boat. When I wanted to upgrade I looked at the GTS, but thought that, for the money, it didn't offer enough improvement.

As the Axiom is a revised RPM, it seems a lot of money for an old boat with some new fittings - or maybe I got that wrong?

I have been paddling a Java for a year or two now & am thinking of replacing that for something with a bit more 'zing' (as I improve my WW skills), I tried the Wave Sport D65 today, but again, it didn't offer enough improvement for the bucks. Better obviously, but not enough to make a case to the wife for some quantative easing.

The Z-One though, I hope is different. I need to go and paddle one, but hopefully it will be more like an improved Redline (I liked my Redline, but it never had enough room for my feet).

Thanks for the comparison, it was useful.

chyavan

Post by chyavan »

paddled the z.one its well balanced and predictable easily coped with upper dart and was good on ocean surf not amazing at carving but that was probably my technique :P good all round boat and suitable for most abilities paddling axiom tommorow will post how it goes :)

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Goodo, let us know what the Axiom is like, would like to know the difference.

Maybe I should have kept my Redline!

cp

Post by cp »

Try them both and get which suits you not someone else. If you like them both Axiom cheaper and will probably last longer

Chris

chyavan

Post by chyavan »

Axiom was good today :)

Handled well on a bump and scrape on the walkham, it was very comfortable and paddled great.

Surfed ok but the wave was a bit crap so it wasnt to its full potential.

It was fairly responsive and easily got through tight twisty bits would like to try it on something a bit bigger to see how it goes but overall i prefer it over a Z.one.

Jace

Post by Jace »

Paddled both on similar types of water. For me personally the Axiom just took it. Found it a better platform when things got harder/steeper, but it still had all the play the river potential.

Axiom - http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... 7&item=308

Z-One - http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... 7&item=260

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Had a look at both of these boats today. Didn't get a chance to paddle them, but my impressions in sitting & inspecting them was that the Dagger felt better put together and had a better eye for detail, with less (in fact, no) sharp plastic edges around the cockpit.

The Z-One had slightly less toe room as well, and I am not sure about the fitting on the back band with the elasticated connections.

I wanted to like the z-one more, but will be ordering an Axiom.

As far as I am concerned, I am familiar with the Redline, having started my paddling career in one, and know I will adapt easily to most boats as long as I am comfy!

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

I have a Saffron Missile, aka a mango coloured Dagger Axiom 9.0. When I first paddled the prototype in Gauley 2008, I wondered who this boat concept was for. After the production boat arrived, I tried it out on the Soča last Summer, and what a boat Dagger has developed. Its a straight line slalom style river runner, highly dextrous to move, especially with micro correctional strokes, this beast keeps going forward. The edge to edge transitions are smooth, and the feel of the boat is pacey yet fluid. But she is no play boat, front surfs like a rocket, but no flat spins nor balanced cartwheeling. On tail spins, she's OK, the tail's hull is a little blocked out to be as wonderful as the RPM ever was. In my Saffron Missile I rip up the Upper Dart and Soča, plus for next August, on the Grand Canyon there is only one choice, and 9 foot of her will bring much joy to the daily grind of near endless wave train and seam line action.

I am paddled the Z.one, she is also a desirable beast, a little more play in her soul, more balanced from bow to stern, slower and next forward thinking, more plaything, fun and flirty.

Both are ace, and worth a thorough demo.

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Simon Westgarth wrote:I have a Saffron Missile, aka a mango coloured Dagger Axiom 9.0. When I first paddled the prototype in Gauley 2008, I wondered who this boat concept was for. After the production boat arrived, I tried it out on the Soča last Summer, and what a boat Dagger has developed. Its a straight line slalom style river runner, highly dextrous to move, especially with micro correctional strokes, this beast keeps going forward. The edge to edge transitions are smooth, and the feel of the boat is pacey yet fluid. But she is no play boat, front surfs like a rocket, but no flat spins nor balanced cartwheeling. On tail spins, she's OK, the tail's hull is a little blocked out to be as wonderful as the RPM ever was. In my Saffron Missile I rip up the Upper Dart and Soča, plus for next August, on the Grand Canyon there is only one choice, and 9 foot of her will bring much joy to the daily grind of near endless wave train and seam line action.

I am paddled the Z.one, she is also a desirable beast, a little more play in her soul, more balanced from bow to stern, slower and next forward thinking, more plaything, fun and flirty.

Both are ace, and worth a thorough demo.
Have you been into the rubbing alcohol again Simon??
White water "rider"

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”