Morocco - Easter '10

Inland paddling
Poke

Morocco - Easter '10

Post by Poke »

Anyone going to Morocco this Easter? There's a group of 5 (maybe 6) of us heading out there from 27th Mar to 8th April.

Some buddies of ours went last year and made this rather useful map if anyone is interested... Just click the river description on the left for a brief summary of the run.

Does anyone have any up to date information about the Ouzoud? I'm quite keen to run this (all but the top fall!) as the pics look awesome! However ~£80 a group seems a bit steep. Is this charge still in force? Any idea why? Anyways, if that's a yes, does anyone fancy teaming up into an uber group so that the charge isn't as much per person :-) Happy days!!

Any further information/tips welcomed (anyone know of any helpful drivers with a cheap 4x4)?

Cheers
Tim
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Chris_Eastabrook

Re: Morocco - Easter '10

Post by Chris_Eastabrook »

Brilliant map, great resource. I've just sent an email to someone fairly local that may know more about the charges and about a 4x4.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

4x4!? You Nancy boy wooses - see the photo of my Sherpa in the High Atlas mountains in the Portugal post!

mfflower

Post by mfflower »

Just got back from the trip with Poke (etc.). I don't have photo's, but I'm sure a few will surface in a few days.

Cracking place, don't understand why more people don't go (but then I am a student with plenty of time off!). If you fancy going I suggest you purchase "Marokko zu Fuss mit fahrrad und boot" from Lehmanns.de, a pinch of salt (it was published in 1990) and some plane tickets (both Easyjet and Ryanair fly to Marrakesh). There are also a few river guides which the last ICCC group out there published, which I'll try and update / add to.

So, I'm pretty bored with the Alps and have also been to BC, Turkey, Nepal, Greece and now Morocco. I'm a bit stumped where to go next - any thoughts?

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

mfflower wrote:Just got back from the trip with Poke (etc.). I don't have photo's, but I'm sure a few will surface in a few days.

Cracking place, don't understand why more people don't go (but then I am a student with plenty of time off!). If you fancy going I suggest you purchase "Marokko zu Fuss mit fahrrad und boot" from Lehmanns.de, a pinch of salt (it was published in 1990) and some plane tickets (both Easyjet and Ryanair fly to Marrakesh). There are also a few river guides which the last ICCC group out there published, which I'll try and update / add to.

So, I'm pretty bored with the Alps and have also been to BC, Turkey, Nepal, Greece and now Morocco. I'm a bit stumped where to go next - any thoughts?
But your getting married, you ain't going nowhere! Thanks for the offer shame I couldn't make it. Seems like you still have most of north and south america to go at!

Phil

Chris_Eastabrook

Post by Chris_Eastabrook »

mfflower, have a look into heading to Georgia & the Caucasus Mountains, it's great!

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, I really enjoyed Morocco.

http://www.chriseastabrook.co.uk/biogra ... georgia-09

http://www.chriseastabrook.co.uk/blog/2 ... ian-part-1
http://www.chriseastabrook.co.uk/blog/2 ... ian-part-2

Poke

Post by Poke »

Chris_Eastabrook wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, I really enjoyed Morocco.
Good shout with the Caucasus idea. It's been on my "to do" list for a good old while. Interested to see what's north of the border there too :-)

Cheers for your Morocco info by the way. However I'm afraid that the M'Goun was too low, and the Sebou was too mch of a drive given the time we had. Still, an awesome trip though.

Am interested to see others' pictures of the Ahensal. (i.e. where have Mark's gone?) After seeing hhzoombird's pics from this thread I'm tempted to say we had rather high levels. Is anyone from the '09 Tower Hamlets group out there with any Ahensal pics - I hear you guys had rather epic levels?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Rich P

Post by Rich P »

Hi, a group of us are off to Morocco in April and are desperately looking for a copy of the german guidebook "Marokko zu Fuss mit fahrrad und boot" mentioned above, we can't find any stockists on the web so were hoping someone would be prepared to lend or sell us their copy.

Cheers

Rich

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Rich P wrote:Hi, a group of us are off to Morocco in April and are desperately looking for a copy of the german guidebook "Marokko zu Fuss mit fahrrad und boot" mentioned above, we can't find any stockists on the web so were hoping someone would be prepared to lend or sell us their copy.

Cheers

Rich
So who's owned up to being able to read or speak German then ? (& why did n't they mention it in Austria last year as it may have saved me from that bizzare pint of coke & beer i ended up with...............!!)
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Rich P

Post by Rich P »

Mike M wrote:
Rich P wrote:Hi, a group of us are off to Morocco in April and are desperately looking for a copy of the german guidebook "Marokko zu Fuss mit fahrrad und boot" mentioned above, we can't find any stockists on the web so were hoping someone would be prepared to lend or sell us their copy.

Cheers

Rich
So who's owned up to being able to read or speak German then ? (& why did n't they mention it in Austria last year as it may have saved me from that bizzare pint of coke & beer I ended up with...............!!)
Nobody but we understand numbers and could always use the key from the orange alps book to translate river terms

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”