All round boats with a leaning to surf?

Inland paddling
dwbald

All round boats with a leaning to surf?

Post by dwbald »

Hi all, after some feed back on boats that do it all run rivers, play but specifically surf well. I have a creek boat and a CR250. I use it for play and surf but think my old Necky was better at the surf.

I don't want to buy a dedicated surf boat. The long haired general tolerates my collection as it fits in the garage one more it will spill into the house... Not good in her eyes lol
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

SwamP

Re: All round boats with a leaning to surf?

Post by SwamP »

In order of hull ability (IMO):
Necky
Fliud Nemisis
Riot/Drago Rossi
All the rest...

You started with one of the nices hull producers on the market, not an easy thing to imrpove on but the two below do a good job too.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Necky Jive was a good all round surf and river boat. Also consider older Riot playboats such as the Glide and Slice. As usual when I am recommending boats the I3 has to get a mention - it has a useful length, flattish bottom and hard rails which together make for a good surf kayak, while it's volume distribution is more river friendly than the Neckys and Riots. I use a Prozone for surfing, but it is a bit of a handful on the river.

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

davebrads wrote:I use a Prozone for surfing, but it is a bit of a handful on the river.
...so it would appear from your avatar pic! ^_^

Just ribbin ya, hope you don't mind. +1 to the I3.

OP: reckon a CR250 would surf OK-ish but Necky deffo way better (wicked surfing hulls on Neckys!), have you tried using the waveside paddle blade as a fin? Small pic but you get the idea. Sorry if yer already doing that...
dwbald wrote:The long haired general
LOL!
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

I had an Outlaw and it was an excellent boat in surf.
One of the guys I occasionally used to paddle with had a CR and it was left for dead by the Outlaw.
Infact most all round boats looked static compared to that Outlaw on the wave.
Great all round boat only down side is Outlaw Ouftitting is awfully basic so some customising is required...

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

Another vote for the I3 on the surf. Alot of the pyranha boats (except the inazone which is a pig to surf) are good as they have sharp rails, I've surfed my ammo a few times but it won't play easily!
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

mole

Post by mole »

Yeah, Outlaw/Honcho series boats are good in the surf. Also the Fluid Spice is very fast on the ocean and still relatively playful on the river though they are bigger than you think, less playful try an Dagger Axiom or GT, Eskimo Kendo also very fast and also cheap.

Neill
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

DJM

Post by DJM »

Perception Madness !
Got a good condition one if your looking to try or buy and just under an hour up the road

Niall Milner

Post by Niall Milner »

Necky Switch.

Job Done (and cheap as chips now as it's been around a while)

Niall

blitz66

Post by blitz66 »

just sold a necky switch, have to admit it surfed like a dream, but i just don't have space for it! and i prefer full on playboats in the surf, i'm gonna miss it on green days though!

maxandtheletter7

Post by maxandtheletter7 »

mole wrote:Yeah, Outlaw/Honcho series boats are good in the surf.

Neill
I only been in one in a pool but I would have thought they are heavy and useless for any surfing??
Not swimming, not trying hard enough

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

maxandtheletter7 wrote:I only been in one in a pool but I would have thought they are heavy and useless for any surfing??

ahem

Long, flat, small volume stern. Oulaws are nice for carving it up. ALso take a look at the GT series, and woop, the Axiom was rad on the green end of Newbridge wave.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

I love that some are classing being pushed by a wave as surfing....in this case please include a bath tub.
Having the speed to stay on or in front of the wave's shoulder = surfing.
Being in the sea, in a boat, not managing to get out of the wave when it breaks...

Many have given good advice, I had Bruce Low's Outaw out in NZ...it was crap...at surfing!....but floated fine and managed to get pushed along by a wave straight lining into the beach...

Barny P

Post by Barny P »

Pyrnaha Z.one
Barny P

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

Tom_Laws wrote:
maxandtheletter7 wrote:I only been in one in a pool but I would have thought they are heavy and useless for any surfing??

ahem.

I like Tom, hes funny and says what I'm thinking!

The Riot booster is a resonable allrounder on both river and surf.... Should be loads about so you can pick one up cheap enough second hand.

Adrian

blitz66

Post by blitz66 »

nearly any of the older necky boats, a DR fish possibly? or pintail... then you can get some Dragorossi scars from the foil logos! eeerm.... jackson fun, pyranha sub 7 or I3, i'd advise you just look for a boat that's about the right length (in the 7ft area, give or take 6in) has as little back rocker as you're willing to deal with and a nice smooth hull shape, not too steep a rocker up at the front (as is the case with the CR) and has edges you can cut yourself on =D

also, haven't paddled it, but i've heard good things, about the fluid spice, but i'm not so sure, the rocker profile looks wrong to be a really fast surfer.. and i'll still stand by the necky switch for the win XD just a surfboard with a cover!

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

Lots of the old skool river runners are reasonable in surf, anything with flat hull & sharp edges will do the job, as mentioned i3, outlaw + rpm.
Good for you, as you can get most of these very cheap.

Mrs Bod

Post by Mrs Bod »

Barny P wrote:Pyrnaha Z.one
I agree with Barny. I turned up at Pyranhafest last weekend wanting to demo a Recoil, but was persuaded to try the Z-One. It was great on the river, turns as if it were a much shorter boat and has lots of speed. It surfed nicely on any waves that could be found on the loop last weekend. I've currently got a Jackson 2-fun which while it carves nicely, is just too slow in surf. The Z-One is a really nice all-round boat, I guess the Axiom would probably be very similar.
dwbald wrote:The long haired general tolerates my collection as it fits in the garage one more it will spill into the house... Not good in her eyes lol
"Yes darling, I promise I'll sell an old boat once I've bought this one" is a well used phrase in our house. Hence boats in the garage, garden and shed, and a sea kayak currently sitting in the hall.

shanclan

Post by shanclan »

Pyranha S8 goes very nicely in surf. However, I would be tempted to go with something with fins which make a big difference whatever the size of boat.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

Many have given good advice, I had Bruce Low's Outaw out in NZ...it was crap...at surfing!....but floated fine and managed to get pushed along by a wave straight lining into the beach...
When I was in the Airforce we had a term for statements like this; "Pilot Error."

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Haha nice...but wrong.

It's a pig of a boat in terms of surfing...the Outlaw does what it's supposed to: bowstall, tail squirt, cartwheel, sit on a wave and spin whilst being able to float enough to run Huka Falls in my case (it was the only boat I had in North Island).

But in terms of a boat "with a leaning to surf" then please refer to the second post on this thread....Dagger hulls are not in the top 5 in terms of surfing...

Thats not to say don't buy one, I've used Redlines, RPMs, Outlaws, King Pins, GTs and GTXs...and they do fine....but my comments have been in relation to the thread topic.

dwbald

Post by dwbald »

dwbald wrote:The long haired general tolerates my collection as it fits in the garage one more it will spill into the house... Not good in her eyes lol
"Yes darling, I promise I'll sell an old boat once I've bought this one" is a well used phrase in our house. Hence boats in the garage, garden and shed, and a sea kayak currently sitting in the hall.[/quote]

My creek boat and CR take up half the garage floor While my 18ft Tiderace is currently hanging from the rafters. One more and its into the back room lol
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

Mrs Bod

Post by Mrs Bod »

dwbald wrote:One more and its into the back room lol
You or the boat?

dwbald

Post by dwbald »

Mrs Bod wrote:
dwbald wrote:One more and its into the back room lol
You or the boat?
DONT! She might read this...
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

woodsy

Post by woodsy »

[quote="Ryan P"]I love that some are classing being pushed by a wave as surfing.... Who is , where?

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

mmm

My top 3 older boats types for ocean surfing...

Necky Gliss / Bliss /Rip / Jive / Zip etc (Though the Zip is so wide and flat and without fins if you sneeze it does 720's)
Pyranha I3
Riot Dominatrix /Prankster/Trikster etc (Though their very narrow tail and lack of bow rocker can invoke take off troubles for some)

All £250 or less now. (Though there is a bit of a clut following for the I3 that keeps it's price up)
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

dwbald

Post by dwbald »

Wilf wrote:mmm

My top 3 older boats types for ocean surfing...

Necky Gliss / Bliss /Rip / Jive / Zip etc (Though the Zip is so wide and flat and without fins if you sneeze it does 720's)
Pyranha I3
Riot Dominatrix /Prankster/Trikster etc (Though their very narrow tail and lack of bow rocker can invoke take off troubles for some)

All £250 or less now. (Though there is a bit of a clut following for the I3 that keeps it's price up)
Had a Gliss surfed lovely but was a pig on the river I was at the top end of its weight though Doh!
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

birdie

Post by birdie »

Another vote for the I3, sharp edges and good bow rocker, obviously as long as you are happy just being "pushed along by a wave"

I dream about being a real surfer someday, but in the mean time, the I3 does just great.

Simon

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

birdie wrote:Another vote for the I3, sharp edges and good bow rocker, obviously as long as you are happy just being "pushed along by a wave"

I dream about being a real surfer someday, but in the mean time, the I3 does just great.

Simon
Yeah I know what you mean. I live 5 mins from the beach and used to take my Outlaw out in surf about 2 a week.
After about a year I was carving out bottom and top turns, cut backs and even attempting the odd OTL all in an Outlaw.
Alas it all appears to have been an illusion as the mighty Ryan P has stated it isn't possible because he couldn't do it therefore it can't be done....

Anyho:
I was out in surf on Friday (just being pushed along, obviously), in my Juice. My mate was in an I3.
It surfed pretty well, although he's a playboater and spent alot of time throwing it about on the wave face so it was hard to say how it surfed in purest terms.

Nige'

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Oh come on guys take the toy out your bottoms, this aint a witch hunt and it’s Sunday play nice!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”