Bad river signals

Inland paddling
_Rheanna

Bad river signals

Post by _Rheanna » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:52 pm

If ever there was a need for good river signals...

clarky999

Re: Bad river signals

Post by clarky999 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Is that the Mellte? How deep is that drop? It looked really shallow when I did it.

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Its the Mellte, not that deep!
Barny P

iamgareth

Post by iamgareth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:05 pm

The guy in the red helmet will be getting a clear signal soon me thinks!

markrobinson_1

Post by markrobinson_1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Sorry guys but does the box around the falling paddler and the slightly different colour of the water not shout Photoshop to anyone?

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 pm

markrobinson_1 wrote:Sorry guys but does the box around the falling paddler and the slightly different colour of the water not shout Photoshop to anyone?
Of course, Im still alive
Barny P

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:20 pm

by markrobinson_1 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Sorry guys but does the box around the falling paddler and the slightly different colour of the water not shout Photoshop to anyone?
Looks it to me, although sometimes cameras with face recgonition software if an object is moving fast can blur slightly.

markrobinson_1

Post by markrobinson_1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Barny P wrote:
markrobinson_1 wrote:Sorry guys but does the box around the falling paddler and the slightly different colour of the water not shout Photoshop to anyone?
Of course, Im still alive

That's all right then, thought either I was seeing things or someone was trying to pull a fast one!

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Too far?
Barny P

markrobinson_1

Post by markrobinson_1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm

One more?

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Hey,

If you adjust your input / out put histograms of both shots before you splice them, and then do the same to the joined image and feather the edges you will get a way better result and avoid harsh splice lines.

A

theforce

Post by theforce » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Still not great but quite a groovy effect at first look

evolvedlight

Post by evolvedlight » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

I've had someone land almost that close behind me on the bottom drop of the Allt Mheuran.

No shortage of clear signals, but the other paddler (not in my group) wasn't confident enough to take a break out so had caught up with me. When I left the eddy they were not in sight upstream, as I got to the point of no return I could hear plenty of shouting and see the stop signals aimed behind me but it wasn't until the other boat landed that I realised how close it had been. Lucky I always try to land on an active stroke, if I'd have missed it that time.....who knows?

There are times when signals can't help, for some reason it is impossible for the kayaker to follow them even though they are seen and understood. They are normally scary times.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 am

River signals only work if the person receiving them is looking at the person delivering them. So often have I sat in an eddy immediately below a short rapid, waved my arms about but no-one was looking, concentrating instead on the water. Fortunately nothing of consequence, just fine tuning.

ianletton

Post by ianletton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Ian
IanLetton

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Maybe, but this kind of thing isn't uncommon with these two, although admittedly not usualy on a drop. Mind you I can't talk, I ended going under a tree at the weekend because I was paddling too close to the person in front :-)
Martin

Barny P

Post by Barny P » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Loving that my priamry school Ict skills using 'paint' have started an entire thread!
Adrian Shanahan wrote:If you adjust your input / out put histograms of both shots before you splice them, and then do the same to the joined image and feather the edges you will get a way better result and avoid harsh splice lines.
Thanks but I have no idea what you are talking about! Any chance of an idiots guide? :)
Barny P

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Barny P wrote:Loving that my priamry school Ict skills using 'paint' have started an entire thread!
Adrian Shanahan wrote:If you adjust your input / out put histograms of both shots before you splice them, and then do the same to the joined image and feather the edges you will get a way better result and avoid harsh splice lines.
Thanks but I have no idea what you are talking about! Any chance of an idiots guide? :)
Well if you download a program called Pain.net to start off with, its a really powerfull and easy enought use image editing program thats free and comunity supported.

After that just google "how to ........... in paint.net" and you will get endless guides to teach you stuff.

A

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:18 pm

http://www.gimp.org/

The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Package) open source photoshop equivalent, has some limitations but generally a good tool, and plenty of community tutorials on the web.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Nothing really comes close to photoshop...

_Rheanna

Post by _Rheanna » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:27 pm

mharrall wrote:
Maybe, but this kind of thing isn't uncommon with these two, although admittedly not usualy on a drop. Mind you I can't talk, I ended going under a tree at the weekend because I was paddling too close to the person in front :-)
I promise that we take rivers like that a lot more seriously than we do other rivers...

I just showed the picture to my mum, I think I was almost banned from kayaking anything other than flat water till I'm 18

MaxC

Post by MaxC » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 am

On the subject of bad river signals:

I have just returned from Uganda, paddling the mighty Nile. In the last week myself, a Japanese paddler (Katsu) and an American couple went to run some of the back channels (series of channels separated by islands). Katsu wanted to run a rapid called Escape Hatch (which runs between Bladerunner and Widow Maker), while the American couple wanted to run Bladerunner. So I went with Katsu and the group split down the two channels. Now we jump to myself passing Katsu as he is getting worked in a hole mid-way through Escape Hatch. As I get to the bottom of the rapid I turn to see Katsu, his boat and paddle floating away from each other down the remainder of the rapid. Big bouncy waves heading for a tree infested pour-over!

Now for those who haven't swum on the Nile its big volume, with very little chance to catch any air. I dash off after Katsu, while Im going I can see the American couple at the bottom of the adjacent channel. I use what I thought was a classic signal of come here to me - patting my helmet with my hand in a big gesture - as I needed help rescuing swimmer and kit before it went off down the Nile. However, they never came. I did manage to get his boat out on a rock and rescue him on my own with great trouble as I was in a tiny play boat. Needless to say we were both shattered and collapsed on the bank of an Island which is next to 50/50 for those that know it. (A very long swim for Katsu).

The American couple finally came over to us when they noticed us on an island and Katsu's boat pinned on a rock in the middle of the river. It turns out that the signal which I used they interpreted as 'Everything is OK'.

So the moral of this tale is; paddle always with more than 3 people (a rule which I am guilty of stupidly taking for granted on this occasion) and best to agree on meanings of river signals when paddling with new people for the first time - especially international paddlers.

No one was hurt during the making of this paddling epic!
Max

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”