Kayaks on Easyjet?

Inland paddling
Andy H

Kayaks on Easyjet?

Post by Andy H »

Hi All
As the heading suggest does Easyjet take kayaks?

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Andy H

Re: Kayaks on Easyjet?

Post by Andy H »

Sorry guys and girls having just looked at previous threads you can take kayaks on Easyjet

However another question what about paddles as putting them in another paddle bag would be classed as a extra bag and cost?

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn »

I've duct taped my paddle to the boat before. Once they asked me to put it through separately but I've never paid extra for it.
Richard Veitch

SPL

Post by SPL »

I flew a boat to bilbao with easy jet back in 2005. It cost me £15 each way as sporting goods and did not affect my weight allowance however a lot has changed since then most noticeably the cost of aviation fuel!!

Croft

Post by Croft »

Flew with a kayak Bristol to Geneva last sunday and it was no problem at all - I always book on-line as a 'windsurfer'. It cost CHF 38 - approx. GBP 22. One thing to watch out for: if you are doing a return flight but are only taking the kayak 1-way then its best to book 2 one-way flights - otherwise with a return ticket you get stung for the kayak charges for both flights.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

pagetom79

Post by pagetom79 »

When booking your boat on to an easyjet flight what is it best to class it as. When you click on 'Sporting Equipment' they do not have canoe or kayak.

Is it best to class it as a windsurf board.

Thanks.

h04dy

Post by h04dy »

Hi ,

We went to Geneva with 6 polo boats with easyjet . We booked them under bikes lol
All the canoes were Kevlar Carbon and had boat bags , the airline were fantastic handling them with kid gloves so I dont see any worries with plastic boats .

We asked them to be top loaded so they didnt get crushed and put sticky fragile stickers on to the boat bags .

They all arrived and came back in one piece as well .

H04dy

Paula_V

Post by Paula_V »

I've had issues with easyjet - sometimes they have taken my boat fine. Sometimes they have charged me extra for the paddle. Sometimes they have said that booking the boat only takes you to a total weight limit of 32kgs in total (i.e. if your boat weighs 20kgs you would only have 12kgs with which to take all your kit.... this got very expensive - so beware!
worldkayakblogs.com/paula

Poke

Post by Poke »

Paula_V wrote:Sometimes they have said that booking the boat only takes you to a total weight limit of 32kgs in total (i.e. if your boat weighs 20kgs you would only have 12kgs with which to take all your kit....
I think this is the official line now...
pagetom79 wrote:When booking your boat on to an easyjet flight what is it best to class it as. When you click on 'Sporting Equipment' they do not have canoe or kayak.
I've always booked it on as a windsurfer. Never had any issues.

Andy H wrote:However another question what about paddles as putting them in another paddle bag would be classed as a extra bag and cost?
Usually I make sure that I've got the paddle booked on as an extra bag. If you're flying with a group and split the cost of an extra bag it isn't too bad usually. Alternatively you could gaffa tape it into your boat (risky), or just wing it (say that you booked on some sporting equipment, just that this item of sporting equipment comes in two pieces)...
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

thetangoman

Post by thetangoman »

From the Easyjet website
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment
So if your paddles and boat are separate items, expect to pay twice.
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.
Andy

mfflower

Post by mfflower »

Poke wrote:that this item of sporting equipment comes in two pieces)...
Worked a treat for me in Gatwick (south) where the lovely lady gave the impression she thought I was checking in a windsurfer.

This didn't work so well in Marakesh, where they refused to accept my non-wrapped-up paddles since they were "too fragile". They wanted me to get them wrapped onto the boat (you know those machines that wrap up bags with clear plastic film?). Funnily enough my kayak didn't fit on the machine so instead they made me tape them to the boat. Still, everything arrived safe even if the paddles had fallen out several times by the time they made it to the other end.

Basically if you try this approach you'll have to wing it.

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

My experience with easyjet has been good. Booked 2 boats in as windsurfs, booked an extra bag for the paddle bag. Got boats, kit and camping stuff all under the 32kg total weight limit.

On the way out from Stanstead they were only concerned about the total length of the boat as they can't take anything too long (all boats were fine. Longest was an I-3) on the way back from Ljubljana (or however it's spelt) they didn't worry about it at all.

One tip - We made sure we were the first people checking in. Not sure if t's important, but it can't hurt if you have the time.
Paul (Un)Stabler

superman

Post by superman »

Remember your sporting goods allowance only increases your total maximum allowance by 12Kg from 20 to 32 which is possible but tight to include boat, paddle and camping kit. Excess baggage is expensive per Kg. Easyjet are very good BUT you must stick to the rules. Read conditions and charges exactly and weigh your bags yourself before going to airport. Do not exceed 32Kg on any one item.
Easyjet in Ljubljana were very good and helpful.
D

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”