Carrying a playboat on a rear mounted bike rack!!!

Inland paddling
teddy_simmon

Carrying a playboat on a rear mounted bike rack!!!

Post by teddy_simmon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi all,

Ok so the idea ocured to me while using my bike rack (its the type that goes onto the back of your car) and when compared to my bike my playboat is shorter in length than my bike so if a bike can go on there cana playboat?

Has anyone tried this?

Any one know the laws surrounding this apart from obscuring lights and number plate?

Pics to follow tommorow when i try it with car!

Matt

enb

Re: Carrying a playboat on a rear mounted bike rack!!!

Post by enb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Surely it would cause massive amounts of drag?? greatly affecting fuel economy etc, and also not 100% sure that it can really withstand them sorts of weight and pressure.

teddy_simmon

Post by teddy_simmon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Good point on drag and fuel economy, as far as weight goes its rated for four bikes and i would imagine four of your average halfords bikes way more than a playboat (15 kg)

teddy_simmon

Post by teddy_simmon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Imagine maybe its similar to a rear mounted lugage box?

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/backup_box.htm

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:31 pm

It would be within the weight limit ,but the windage of a yak in that orientation will try to rip the rack off more than 4 bikes would. Go slow and it'd prob be ok but if it rips off and kills a motorcyclist youll be doin time.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

enb

Post by enb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Actually come to think of it, me and a mate went to the Pyranha fest at the tryweryn in his Mazda MX5 that has a weird little roof rack on the boot, we travelled from Milton Keynes and although it did effect fuel economy it wasnt that noticable to driveability i dont think although i was fairly dubious as to whether we would still have 2 boats all the way there and back lol.
The biggest danger you have is the funny looks from other people on the road (but that could have been because of the hairdressers car lol)

It didnt stand out so bad as it does in the picture because we did have the roof up while travelling so it reduced drag somewhat, i think we would have lost the boats and possibly the boot with the roof down lol

teddy_simmon

Post by teddy_simmon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 pm

ahh so other people have attempted it nice to know lol,

valid point regarding the windage is quite a woory maybe investing in a handirack might be a good idea instead

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:44 pm

I don't see that carrying a couple of boats sideways creates more windage that four boats side by side. Also the bike rack is in the lee of the car, so the forces should be lower. I'd still check out the mountings though!

JohnAllan

Post by JohnAllan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Welll the boats are plastic - they'll survive anyway!! Try it and see on a quiet bit of road. Take it to as fast as your car goes if they are still there then it's fine!

At least you can see if it starts to look like it going to come off. The Drag is surely less in the eddy behind the car than on the roof, even though it's sideways.
John Allan

http://www.mazingtree.com - Canoeist friendly IT Support

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Buy a roofrack, you cheapskate.

You are not allowed to obscure your number plate/lights, and if you do must run a lighting board. But you knew that being a bike rack user...

WideBoy

Post by WideBoy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 am

JohnAllan wrote:Take it to as fast as your car goes if they are still there then it's fine!
...and as you can't see your plates, the speed cameras can't get you!
..if it was easy, it would just be the way

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

enb wrote:Surely it would cause massive amounts of drag?? greatly affecting fuel economy etc, and also not 100% sure that it can really withstand them sorts of weight and pressure.
Driving around with roof bars on (without a boat even) adds about 7% to your fuel cost!

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 am

JohnAllan wrote:Welll the boats are plastic - they'll survive anyway!! Try it and see on a quiet bit of road. Take it to as fast as your car goes if they are still there then it's fine!

At least you can see if it starts to look like it going to come off. The Drag is surely less in the eddy behind the car than on the roof, even though it's sideways.
Hmm I think the flaw here is the anchor points.
The roof rack will be designed to endure forces equal to when it is fully ladden with a roof box or indeed a load of kayaks..
However, the bike rack will be designed to endure the forces of the weight of the bike(s) and the minimal drag they cuase being behind the car and (pretty much) out of the airflow.
If the boats jut out from behind the car (my guess is they will) create significant drag and the forces will be beyond that of the design limit for the mounts.

I think Tom says it best. Why risk it for the sake of a few quid?
If you lose the whole mounting system and boats the least of your worries will be the damage to your boats. Probably more about the poor guy behind you (hopefully in an Artic and not on a motorbike!).

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Gut feeling says if the boat sticks out more than a few inches either side of the car (worse still if it sticks up above the roof line) it's likely to rip itself off. The centre of drag of a boat resting on (or slung under) the bike support arms is likely to put a bending moment on it that it just isn't designed for. It'll fold, snap, and kill the cyclist you just passed.

Gut feeling also says if a cop sees you he'll be thinking along the same lines, regardless of the number plate issue, and will do you for an unsecure load. Expect a stern and lengthy bollocking at the very least.

I'd get a roof rack.
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

blitz66

Post by blitz66 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:52 pm

if your boat's small enough to fit on there without too much sticking over the edge.... what's wrong with folding the seats down and sticking a tarp down? if you can't fit it in, give it to a group of students, you'll be amazed what we can squeeze into a tiny car =D

maxandtheletter7

Post by maxandtheletter7 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Who needs a car?! Man up and cycle the distant...

Not swimming, not trying hard enough

Barnesy2006

Post by Barnesy2006 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Done this with a tow bar mounted rack (plate type rather than mounting on the ball) with no problems - carried two with four on top of the car also!

The 2 G Force's were barely wider than the car and sat '69' fashion on each other so were low from a drag point of view - just check where the exhaust is compared to the boats!

OliKershaw

Post by OliKershaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 am

Hiya, can you explain how you made the trailer for the bike? Coz i've been thinking of something like that but thought it would involve making a big traditional style trailor with axels ect which seemed like to much effort to bother lol, i just carry it there.

EmptyM

Post by EmptyM » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am

OliKershaw wrote:Hiya, can you explain how you made the trailer for the bike? Coz I've been thinking of something like that but thought it would involve making a big traditional style trailor with axels ect which seemed like to much effort to bother lol, I just carry it there.
Looking at it, it apears to be a wishbone boom from a sailboard opened, twisted and welded to the wheels of a golf caddy.

maxandtheletter7

Post by maxandtheletter7 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:36 pm

EmptyM wrote:Looking at it, it apears to be a wishbone boom from a sailboard opened, twisted and welded to the wheels of a golf caddy.
Pretty much,
My dad made it to carry his windsurf stuff on the beach by hand...

Old windsurfing boom, openend up, then wrapped some tough wire around it, stuck some wheels on the other bar and a few washers. It's all very simple, I found it the garage and popped a kayak through it, a few bungie cords and it worked pretty well.

This should show it better, and my spray paint I did when I was bored:

Not swimming, not trying hard enough

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Can't see the pics (at work) but kit trailers for bikes are commercially available in Holland. My bro had one for his windsurf kit when we were kids. Another brownie point for one of the world's more advanced civilisations (if you exclude the football fans that is ; ]).
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”