Kenyan Airlines

Inland paddling
neilfarmer

Kenyan Airlines

Post by neilfarmer »

Just a quick question, anyone flown with Kenyan Airways, London to Nairobi and then to Entebbe? Do they take kayaks? a friend has just booked with them. Are they one of the 'KLM like' unfriendly airlines?

Regards, Neil.
Neil Farmer.

Jules

Post by Jules »

According to Frazer Pearce's Kayak Flying website you can fly boats on Kenyan Airlines. There is the following note though :-
Kenyan are owned by KLM. We didn't realise this until we saw that the check in desks at heathrow were operated by KLM staff. We did manage to get our boats (6 of them) on the aircraft for free. This took 3 hours of careful negotiations and we were very lucky to get our boats on board, even though we had 'oversize baggage' clearly printed on our tickets. There were several occasions when I thought we wouldn't be going, and I certainly will not be flying my kayak with them again, it is not worth the risk. Having said that, on our return to the UK, the Kenyan Airlines staff at entebbe checked our boats in no problems. (Oliver Miller)
It doesn't look like the web page has been updated for a couple of years so this info might not be current. Web site address :-
http://star-www.dur.ac.uk/%7Efrazerp/ka ... t/fly.html

Good Luck

Jules

Poke

Out of date

Post by Poke »

Yeah, I e-mailed them two years back with Iberia and AA info but they didn't update..

Not sure if frazers e-mail is correct(?). Managed to reach him recently on another matter on a nottingham.ac.uk one... is that the one on the site??

Jules

Re: Out of date

Post by Jules »

Poke wrote:YNot sure if frazers e-mail is correct(?). Managed to reach him recently on another matter on a nottingham.ac.uk one... is that the one on the site??
Yep. Frazer.Pearce at nottingham dot ac dot uk

Stronze

Flying with Kenya

Post by Stronze »

Hi,

Few with Keny last year, from Heathrow, boat was checked in by the nice smiling person behind the desk, with the comments of "wht an unusual suitcase", "are you expecting it to rain in Africa" etc. Smiling person hands over boarding card, says "enjoy your flight sir"..QED.

In other words I had no problems, follow all of the usual weight restrictions (it's hot you don't need kit), have resonable hand baggage, smile and remember in is NOT KLM, it is Kenya... as a btw, I have flown a boat on KLM from AMS whilst living in the Netherlands for free, (in a boardbag) so don't believe all the hype. Smiling lots goes a long way, as check-in staff HATE hassle, but sometimes geting irate with jobsworths is just so satisfying.... :O)

Neil

Pete C.

kenya

Post by Pete C. »

Cost three of us an extra £60 each to get boats on board at heathrow. The quality of service was absolutely terrible as well. We didn't have to pay to bring them back, boarding at Entebbe.

Avoid. BA fly the same route (in fact, they fly london-Entebbe direct) and it's worth the extra money.

Pete.

Post by Guest »

if your flying kenay airways and looking to save money, just book as far as nairobi and take the bus across... it may take 10 hours.. but it sure it an eye opener and can save you £100 at times.

tom_d

Post by tom_d »

£10 an hour is reasonable to avoid being on a bus.

buses are the lowest form of transport, unless you include home made contraptions. your local bus, national distress and buses world are universally crap.

Poke

Kenya

Post by Poke »

To add to what guest suggested, if you stop in Nairobi (between late April and August), stop at Savage Wildernes safaris and get in the Tana (and other rivers?).. Clean 25ft fall.. Nice!! pics here

Bus journey not pleasant, but had much worse...

Re: Kenya

Post by Guest »

Poke wrote:if you stop in Nairobi (between late April and August), stop at Savage Wildernes safaris and get in the Tana
Tana is pretty good fun, saw hippos when I went rafting there!

As for the bus journey... yeh I guess its not exactly luxury, but it's all part of the true african experiance!

nfarmer

kenyan airlines

Post by nfarmer »

My friend did book with Kenyan, and did get hassle at heathrow.
They took the boat, but not on the original flight, a later one.
Inconvenient.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”