Neck seal replacement guides?

Inland paddling
feelingjustfine

Neck seal replacement guides?

Post by feelingjustfine »

I am wanting to find somewhere or someone knowledge as to how to correctly replace a neck seal on my cag, I can get the seal itself and Bostik adhesive but was just wondering fi anyone knew the "correct" way to get it done to save me having to pay £40 to get it posted to Wales every time. Any pointers would be great.

Hari-krishna!

Chris.
dam the dart :)

Rdscott

Re: Neck seal replacement guides?

Post by Rdscott »

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

http://www.kokatat.com/documents/cserv/ ... sketWO.pdf

Works best with Kokatat cags as the fabric piece the seal attaches to goes completely flat, however I've used a similar method with other cags and my palm drysuit after some careful cardboard shaping and stretching. Remember to plan how you are going to remove your neck shaper before attaching the seal...
Stuart

jaq

Post by jaq »

I put a seal in my semi-dry maybe 4 months ago.

I just put the cag inside out on a mannequin torso (strangely, my brother owns several), used magnets as 'pins' and stuck my seal to the neoprene neck with aqua-something (whatever it's called, the glue the diving shop sold me). Then I glued electrical tape with fabsil seam sealer around the join in a vague attempt to make it harder for me to accidentally 'peel' off my somewhat rushed and inexpertly done glue job. So far, so good!

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Adrian Shanahan has a good one on his blog, needs a borrowed traffic cone, but works really easily.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Donna B

Post by Donna B »

You can get an iron-on replacement neck seal from Dam X for £17 including postage - comes with full instructions and takes around 2 hours to do. I have been unconvinced by Bostick glue in the past, but have had no problems with this coming unstuck.

Advantage is that it is fully removeable if you screw up and have to start again, or if you want a sewn-in replacement in future.

It is easiest with fabric that can take some abuse, such as most of their suits, as delicate breatheable fabrics need more care over the temperature of the iron. Top tip - greaseproof baking paper between the seal and your iron protects the iron from getting covered in glue.

Donna

AJC Box

Post by AJC Box »

I have twice used a balloon for fitting a neck seal and it has worked well both times. When the new seal has dried in place you just burst the balloon. Simples!

Adam

Kev W

Post by Kev W »

Ive fitted loads of latex neck and wrist seals over the years on my diving suits.
Youll need a traffic cone to fit the cag on, acetate, and some Bostik 2402 adhesive.
Clean the areas to be glued with acetate (available from the chemist), apply glue to the cag and latex seal which are to be joined, let the glue go virtually dry before mating the surfaces THIS MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. I usuallyfit the cag on the cone, then fit the latex seal on the cone in the position you want it to be fitted, I then turn over the latex seal so I can treat cag and seal with the glue.
After glueing them together wrap a strip of rubber seal (around 20-25mm wide) on the joint, again clean with acetate and apply glue allowing it to "dry" before mating the surfaces. Any exess glue can be easily wiped off with acetate on a cloth.

Once dry (next day) turn the cag inside out, refit on the cone and glue a rubber sealing strip on the inside of the join.

Good luck

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Adrian Shanahan has a good one on his blog, needs a borrowed traffic cone, but works really easily.

Cheers Josh,

Indeed I do, I'm only back to my laptop now after being playing in the snow for the last few days,HERE is how I do it.

FJF if you have any questions or want a pointer or two just drop me a line.

Adrian

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Donna B wrote:I have been unconvinced by Bostick glue in the past,
Silly question; did you get the right proportion of hardener to adhesive?

When I used it the first time I got a sticky mess, the second time (after re-reading the instructions) I got a bond that holds a wetsuit seam together unaided (and coincidentally stuck me to the kitchen table so well i could lift one end of it off the ground using the bond; I should avoid glue).
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

shanclan

Post by shanclan »

If you can't find a traffic cone, a suitably shaped pan and a compression strap do the job as well.

Champagne bottles are perfect for wrist seals....

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”