Loads of Paddling kit stolen in the Glasgow area

Inland paddling
Janson

Loads of Paddling kit stolen in the Glasgow area

Post by Janson »

I have just had this email from GUCC:

Hi Club,

I’m afraid I have to bring you all some extremely upsetting news. Earlier today it was discovered the main club shed has been broken into during the holiday period. The padlocks have been cut through and a lot of kit has been taken. Tom and Amy have been down at the shed for most of the afternoon, the doors have all been locked again with new padlocks for time being.

The police have been informed and were down at the shed as well. Both privately owned kit and club owned kit was taken, and we have managed to compile a reasonably accurate list of the kit taken, certainly all the privately owned kit is accurate. Those who have kit missing have all been contacted, with the exception of a couple of ex. members of the club, who I am still chasing.

The list of privately owned kit that has been stolen is as such:

· Liquid Logic Vision 56 – Blue
· Pyranha H3 245 – Green and White
· Pyranha Burn M – Yellow
· Dagger Nomad 8.5 – Red
· Liquid Logic Lil Joe – Red
· Necky Orbit Fish – Yellow
· Pyranha Inazone 230 – Green
· Dagger Mamba – Orange
· Pyranha H3 245 – Purple and Green
· Blistick Flipstick – Yellow and White
· Werner Player Straight Shaft Glass Blades – Orange x2
· Werner Sherpa Straight Shaft Glass Blades – Green
· Robson Mystique Straight Shaft – Yellow
· Werner Player Straight Shaft Glass Blades – Blue
· Robson Red Straight Shaft – Red
· Lendal Kinetik Straight Shaft – Black
· Robson Pogo Straight Shaft – Green

Club kit taken:

· Eskimo Topo Duo – Blue
· Dagger Mamba - Red
· Liquid Logic Lil Joe – Yellow
· Pyranha H3 – Green
· Approx. 16 neopreme spraydecks – peak, playboater, lomo and others
· Miscellaneous Cagoules and Spraytops
· Helmets – Wild Water, yak, AP2000
· Miscellaneous Buoyancy Aids – Palm, Club Spec
· Lendal Split Paddles
· Miscellaneous Wetsuits
· Miscellaneous throwlines – Palm, Yak
· Other towlines/straps/fixings/rescue equipment
· Perhaps Miscellaneous paddles, including tempests (white glass blades – blue straight shaft), aquabounds (yellow blades – black straight shaft), lendals, Dr D’s, Wooden Schlegals.

The rest of the club kit is believed to still be there.

I am sorry to bring such awful news, especially to those of you who own kit which has been stolen. We as the committee have contacted the police, and have compiled this list and will spread it throughout the paddling community. We will be talking to GUSA and the University regarding insurance issues however, I urge those with kit which has been stolen to look into the details of your own, or your parents, contents insurance. We are meeting tomorrow to discuss the situation, and will of course keep you updated on the matter.

Please help us spread this list amongst the paddling community and be extremely alert towards items which may be ours cropping up for sale in various places.

I have to ask if anybody finds any information about this or finds any kit which they believe to be ours to contact me directly as we have communications with the police already and they have asked for any further information to be channelled to them immediately. Please resist the overwhelming urge to scour eBay and threaten anybody with a boat which resembles one of ours! I can be contacted on this email, through the website or on zero77 zero76 95four zero1.

As well as this can I ask if anyone has any further questions/suggestions please do not hesitate to get in touch.

I'm sorry this is such a long and grave email, thanks for your understanding.

Ben

coops

Re: Loads of Paddling kit stolen in the Glasgow area

Post by coops »

Gutted for you guys! Hope you get stuff back or at the least you get a decent insurance pay out.

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn »

Sickening. I really hope you get some stuff back.
Richard Veitch

Paddy W

Post by Paddy W »

Thanks guys.

We are currently communicating with the police and keeping our fingers crossed.

In the mean time, please could everyone alert any paddlers you know, and keep a look out for any suspicious items on Ebay/Gumtree/UKRGB etc. Resist the urge to contact suspicious sellers on Ebay or even watch items, as we don't want to lose any potential leads we may get.

Thanks again

Paddy

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

Who is it that you are still trying to contact?
Very bad luck on the theft, it is totally out of order.
Neil Farmer.

Gareth H

Post by Gareth H »

This is shocking news, I hope you can recover the kit or at least recover the value of the kit to be able to replace it. I have posted the deatils on www.tvfreestylers.co.uk for you on the news page and 2 places on the forum. If I can be of anymore help than please let me know, and good luck guys.

Cheers

Gareth

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 »

Was there a black sweet rocker half cut pinched only ones just very dodgily turned up on fleebay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-kayak-helme ... 2c52885a1d
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

What bothers me in this disaster is that this has been pre organised. Thats a hell of alot of kit to go missing.
It would have taken a big van or even a truck to haul all of that kit away.
As always we really must be vigilant in the buying of second hand kit.
g
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

mcneilljamie

Post by mcneilljamie »

I am really sorry to learn of your loss. I think those who currently have the kit will find it very difficult to shift it on without revealing themselves.

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 »

This is why i posted about that rocker , but there doesnt seem to be a rocker on the missing list.
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

Paddy W

Post by Paddy W »

Thanks all so much for your concerns and help with the situation.

There is good news. The police raided a house last night and a significant amount of our kit was recovered! I think one kayak and some wetsuits/spraydecks/BAs were still missing as of this morning, but most has been found.

One of our kayaks being sold on eBay was fundamental to the police investigation:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/liquid-logic-kaya ... 2304bbe569

Great to see the paddling community rallying together, we have received a lot of support over the last week and for that we are very grateful.

Thanks again,

Paddy

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Great news. Hope you find the rest.

Janson

Post by Janson »

Awesome news!

Sandom11

Post by Sandom11 »

Hi Guys,
Just found this post, I actullay just bought the kayak and kit on eBay, luckily I haven't given him a penny and wont.
So glad you posted this as I would hate to be taken someone elses kayak. Hope you get it all back.
Cheers Chris

Paddy W

Post by Paddy W »

Thanks Chris, easy mistake to make. Glad you saw this post in time.

Slight update, we have all the kit returned except:

Topo Duo (blue)
Inazone (green)
various Throwlines and safety equipment.

If you do see any of these, particularly the kayaks, please let us know.

Thanks,
Paddy

mcneilljamie

Post by mcneilljamie »

Hi Paddy,

Thats an excellent result. The crooks must have been naive if they think that they could shift that amount of kit without anyone noticing... and so close to the source! Well done to the police on this account as well!

Janson

Post by Janson »

Do the boats have any specific markings/identifying features?

I suspect it will be quite difficult for them to get the duo on the market without someone noticing....

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 »

Just to be sure....are you saying that the ebay listing led to the discovery of the rest of the gear directly or indirectly? i.e. was the ebay seller the thief or had he been duped himself and was an innocent victim who bought a bogus kayak (unlikely as it sounds). It's disturbing because the guy had 100% feedback, and when I looked into his feedback details someone on 10th December had bought a drysuit. Was this stolen goods too? What disturbs me is that this guy may be a kayaker as he seems to know what to do. Does anyone know who it is and if he's guilty then it's time to name and shame, and at the very least ebay should be informed if they haven't already been notified with the police investigation.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

But he had some negative feedback as a seller in 2008, the problem is Ebay wiping the slate clean after a year, the headline feedback score is not always informative. Ebay has a vested interest in making its sellers look good.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

Name and Shame them. This outcome has only come about because we as a community have a vested interest in each other. As we do on the river as well.
Would be interested to find out the outcome of the Ebay seller.
g
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Is this auction potentially stolen gear? Looks like club kit - although the seller is in Leeds.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Paddy W

Post by Paddy W »

Just to be sure....are you saying that the ebay listing led to the discovery of the rest of the gear directly or indirectly? i.e. was the ebay seller the thief or had he been duped himself and was an innocent victim who bought a bogus kayak (unlikely as it sounds). It's disturbing because the guy had 100% feedback, and when I looked into his feedback details someone on 10th December had bought a drysuit. Was this stolen goods too? What disturbs me is that this guy may be a kayaker as he seems to know what to do. Does anyone know who it is and if he's guilty then it's time to name and shame, and at the very least ebay should be informed if they haven't already been notified with the police investigation.
We are led to beleive that the man selling the LL Lil Joe on eBay had been offered all of the kit from the initial thief at a stupidly low price. Police raided house and found all of our gear (minus 2 kayaks) in a garage. Not an innocent victim, the eBay seller knew it was all stolen. The eBay seller is now in police custody. The fact that he put one of the kayaks on eBay was fundamental to discovering the rest of the gear, as it gave IP address away etc.

The person responsible for the initial theft has not been arrested and unlikely to be caught.

Sketchy details so far but hope that clears some of it up? No naming and shaming, that's all the information we know at the moment.

Paddy

buck197

Post by buck197 »

Great news that at least someone has been caught, even better news the vast majority of kit has been recovered and well done for all involved who helped in these outcomes. E bay unfortunately will always be a place where dodgy gear will turn up, you never get owt for nowt.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

blitz66

Post by blitz66 »

you've got to be mad if you think you can sell a stolen topo duo without someone thinking something fishy's going on?...

also, club boats, if you have some kind of club sticker, get it on your boats, and paint over it with fibreglass resin, a similar form of identification on the inside of the boat is also useful and less likely to be noticed on the side of a bulkhead or back of a seat etc, just keeps it identifiable, either the one with the sticker, or the one with a big sanded patch where the sticker was!

i've done it with my boat, just with some normal stickers, gives a point of reference in case it turns up on ebay and you need to give the police a call.

glad you got so much of the kit back! and good luck with the rest

North-Wales-Coach

Post by North-Wales-Coach »

A little bit of engraving with the dremel on the centre pillar can be handy, not quite as obvious to the average ned or scally, just put postcode, phone number or both.

JohnAllan

Post by JohnAllan »

I find stuffing the nose of your boat into a rock at the bottom of the Ogwen Caravan Park falls, really useful for placing identifying marks on your boat :-) The marking lasted for 15 years!
"Boat has front 10 cm turned up by 30 degrees"

Glad you got the boats back!
John Allan

http://www.mazingtree.com - Canoeist friendly IT Support

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”