Canoeing magazines, are they worth it?

Inland paddling
horis karloff

Canoeing magazines, are they worth it?

Post by horis karloff »

Looking through a couple of canoe and kayaking mags in my local WH Smiths and nothing really catches my eye. I certainly notice adverts all over the pages.

With this website UKRGB and ebay do we really need to buy magazines that may have a little something for most of us but unlike UKRGB doesn't have a lot for the individual.

If I want to learn something or find out good advice or buy at a lower price then my first port of call will be my computer.
What do you all think?

SwamP

Re: Canoeing magazines, are they worth it?

Post by SwamP »

In short, no!

In summary, the last one I read had about 4 articles from Mark R and his friends....this is free, interactive and environmentallly friendly.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Not massively,the internet has largely succeded print media for niches like this.

But, I do have a soft spot for kayak session, because it knows exactly what it wants to do, who it's appealing to and importantly looks super plush; like some sort of coffee table book.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Kai_the_Hodge

Post by Kai_the_Hodge »

I know what your saying about the internet taking over nd the mags being 90% adverts, but despite this im going to say that they still have a place in paddling... for example my copy of conoe and kayak fell through the letterbox this morning, i skim read it and threw it into the bathroom for future reading whilst on the can, frankly my mrs gets really upset if i take the laptop with me to the bog.
its not just this the brief skim read has prompted me to get of my arse and take the tourer out for a paddle down the local river this afternoon, somthing i really woulndt have done on a cold snowy day without the motivation of a glossy picture of a paddler falling on my doorstep...
I think the real question isnt are they still aplicable, but are they actualy still written by people who understand the financial, family and time commitments in most paddlers life.... I like to hear about far of paddling experditions dont get me wrong , but i prefer to hear about trips across the U.K that I could find the time and finance to do in a long weekend..
And editors if your reading this, i know youve gotta make money... but lose some adverts and add some content

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Cumec magazine kicks arse!!
White water "rider"

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

I certainly enjoy a good read of an article, and for the likes of CKUK and Focus the quality of content has improved no end of late, with the benchmark of Kayak Session to go by, its a reach for the star standard. Online you will find more news and opinion, and perhaps CKUK attention to their online presence has attempted to redress the balance with their previously flat earth media approach. The future for publications that are monthly looks OK, so long as you can keep the quality at a high level, although I would think that a magazine with more content every 2 months may get more fans, although the revenue will certainly drop, however it probably already is.....

superman

Post by superman »

Yes. The internet and forums certainly have their place but I like to sit down with a coffee and physically read something on paper. I can flick through, I can refer back and I can read something that has been well considered when it has been written. There are still many people out there who can identify with this.
As far as the internet is concerned, yes you can get immediate information and feed back. In many cases this is fine but, especially on forums, there are a lot of hastily written, badly thought out badly worded/spelt/presented comments which are sometimes quite rudely and inarticulately expressed. Okay, it`s open access, but that also means you have a lot of sorting of the wheat from the chaff. This results in a host of circular ramblings,misinterpretations,irrelevancies dogmatic statements and plain rudeness that wouldn`t be tolerated in print or even in face to face conversations.
There is a quality of permanence in a book or a magazine whereby what you write is physically on show for ever, so it had better be right.

Simon Westgarth

superman wrote:means you have a lot of sorting of the wheat from the chaff. This results in a host of circular ramblings,misinterpretations,irrelevancies dogmatic statements and plain rudeness that wouldn`t be tolerated in print or even in face to face conversations.
There is a quality of permanence in a book or a magazine whereby what you write is physically on show for ever, so it had better be right.
Wonderfully put Dave, and very correct indeed.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Oh yeah forgot about Kayak Session, nice one KW and as Justin mentioned many from off of this island are often very aesthetically pleasing and articulately put together.

As for latter comments, nah. I’ve read just as much dribble, lies, nonsense and changing of what actually happened in magazines as I do online…only by the time you drowned out the dribble you’re out of pocket!

At least online you get up to date news and the truth always comes out…so when someone claims something to be true, others with more knowledge, first hand experience can say how it really was. Plus the photos online are often better.

Good for the economy though!

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

Every one knows that journalists write what they are payed to write, if they dont the companys simply dont let them write about them again.

Not sure if thats how it works in the kayak world but in the motor industrie it sertanly does. There for as many article that are full of nonsence are published in magazines as on line.

How many people have had french cars and been happy with them, lots yet we are made to belive they are crap.

Bringing that into the kayak world, Jackson have a very big roll in the kayak media with advertising and sponsering so there boats are out there being seen in the media. there are other makes that are just as good on a wave or in a hole that dont spend the money on media advertising and sponsering.

Press and media is mainly about money if your willing to spend it they'll print it.

Simon Westgarth

Ryan P wrote:As for latter comments, nah. I’ve read just as much dribble, lies, nonsense and changing of what actually happened in magazines as I do online…only by the time you drowned out the dribble you’re out of pocket!
Your case in point, well put....

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Another thought

The Ceufad/Kayak magazine that the WCA publishes instead of 'Canoe Vacuous' is pretty good.

Whilst not really a magazine and only barely "Old Media" LVM is very very good.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Rdscott wrote:Every one knows that journalists write what they are payed to write,
Not for CKUK, you can write pretty much whatever you please!

Did some work for MBUK recently that was a bit more scary, everything organised before hand, photographer booked, a list of photos was needed, payment by the word, writing box outs to fill the exact space, having to wear the right clothes, having to clean my bike. Phew! (MUCH better paid though)

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

We had the MBUk Guys up our neck of the woods and they wanted us to change our dh tracks clean our bikes and wear race strips.

All they were doing was a article on local spots with history, our local track was one of the first BUSA DH tracks apparantly.

We all wen home as it wasn't what we Road for plus non of us had race strips.

And my knowledge was from the mororing context if ckuk dont good for them.

Papillon

Post by Papillon »

I’m sure that one of the above who has posted a reply only buys paper magazines for one reason.

This is once he has wrote an article about a recent trip and has it printed in C+K Uk.
He then counts how many time his picture is in it.

It's funny how most of he’s mates who were on that trip get a very small photo or are left out…

I’m sure if he reads this he will know who I’m pointing at.!

I’m sure this isn’t on purpose………so he says

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

This month's CKUK is worth your money; partly because I wrote a few pages of it, but mainly to enjoy the photo on page 3. Well done, Jason.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Ryan P wrote:In summary, the last one I read had about 4 articles from Mark R and his friends....this is free, interactive and environmentallly friendly.
I haven't written much for CKUK and certainly can't think of any such issue. You're probably getting CKUK confused with 'Paddles' mag, not that your general argument makes much sense anyway - um, you prefer UKRGB as mags are saturated with me and my mates???
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

cswalker

Post by cswalker »

It's still nice to have a print magazine when on the road, in a hotel, on a plane etc where the www isn't always accessible.

Although purchased downloadable pdf's for later reading from the leading print magazines would be interesting...

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

I didn't say CKUK so I'm not confused.

Sorry if find free, interactive and kinder to the environment to be confusing.

Nothing was a dig Mark, just an observation.

As for what Simon says; couple that with what Papillion wrote and I can share several similar experiences.

Each to their own, live and let live and don't rip people off.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Paddles mag hasn't been around for some time, and it was a long while (years) before that when I wrote for it, and even longer (years) since I and a group of my mates alll contributed to a single issue.

If you're not confused, then you're commenting on something that you don't have any particular knowledge of; you've dissed mags without actually opening one. But hey, go for it; this is the internet so it's not necessary to have a clue what you're talking about before randomly weighing in.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Mark R wrote:This month's CKUK is worth your money; partly because I wrote a few pages of it, but mainly to enjoy the photo on page 3. Well done, Jason.
Great article on the Orkney Islands Mark, throughly enjoyed.

buck197

Post by buck197 »

Horis Karloff wrote:Looking through a couple of canoe and kayaking mags in my local WH Smiths and nothing really catches my eye. I certainly notice adverts all over the pages.
May I ask which couple of magazines were you looking at as I can only ever find CKUK on sale in WH Smiths since the demise of Paddles. I wonder whether the older generation of folk prefer the written word than screen based content, I for one find it very hard to read more than a page of screen literature but can read books and magazines all day long. Am I saying CKUK is for old giffers??? Discuss
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Papillon

Post by Papillon »

Ryan P wrote:I didn't say CKUK so I'm not confused.

Sorry if find free, interactive and kinder to the environment to be confusing.

Nothing was a dig Mark, just an observation.

As for what Simon says; couple that with what Papillion wrote and I can share several similar experiences. Each to their own, live and let live and don't rip people off.
We should get together, drink some Scottish water and chew some tobacco....Glad you agree.

Because you must be on about having famous intresting mates that spend alot of time paddling, helping others, leading groups,spending time to write and contribute to these Mags.

These sort of people make our sport worth doing.

Cough cough... some write BOOKS too..........

I'm sure in the future we will see one from you!

Negative words are so in the noughtys ... it's 2010 Dude......

That is what you mean?

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Mark R wrote:Paddles mag hasn't been around for some time, and it was a long while (years) before that when I wrote for it, and even longer (years) since I and a group of my mates alll contributed to a single issue.

If you're not confused, then you're commenting on something that you don't have any particular knowledge of; you've dissed mags without actually opening one. But hey, go for it; this is the internet so it's not necessary to have a clue what you're talking about before randomly weighing in.
Yes yes well done but not the case and no one will ever argue with you Mark...but the fact is I returned to the sport, borrowed a mates mag whilst on the way to a river, flicked through to see if anything was of any interest...to which there wasn't so I put it down. Couple of months later a similar story and comparing the two the same folk were writing the majority of all the articles...not my thing, saw it ruin MBUK in mid 90's not interested in reading the same in this sport.

You're right I'm now lacking in 'particular knowledge' simply because what I was reading was of no interest to me. Personally. And thus I have no knowledge of what's in the mag, because I can't be arsed looking at them. (Apart from KS)

Papillion, not sure about the whole famous mates thing, it is a tiny sport. And even in this sport my mates keep their head down and just enjoy the life of it all....their mates however are kinda well known from what I see them falling off recently...sadly I turned my back on them and that life...something I consider regretting very often.
But no, a book, magazine article or other similar things are not for me in this sport....

That said I'm the hugest fan of hearing the experiences of the nameless in our planet...truely inspirational, I love to be humbled by all!

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish »

If I want to learn something or find out good advice or buy at a lower price then my first port of call will be my computer.
You'll probably be more successful with one of those activities than the others.

If I want opinion or advice I'll go to an Internet forum. If I want fact I'll go to a source that I trust to be reliable and considered an expert (or at least knowledgeable) about the subject I'm interested in. Now that might be a source on the Internet, it might be a magazine, book or journal. What I consider critical is that the source has the credentials to back up what they are saying and generally (not always) those that you pay for are able to charge because they have this. In a sense they're charging for their expertise and knowledge.

If I want to be entertained however then my bar is set a lot lower. There are often entertaining anecdotes, pictures, videos or whatnot's posted here and on other paddling sites and blogs. However I struggle to find well written, articulate tales of dare doing (or doing anyway) on the Internet and its here where magazines beat the Internet nearly every time. Good editorial control on subject, grammar and layouts in magazines make all but the very best blogs pale in comparison. Kayak Session is a superb example of this. CKUK also has a very good shot at this whilst appealing to the WHSmith browsing normal person who might be interested in having a go at this paddling lark and wants an idea of where to start and giving them somethings to aspire to.
this is free, interactive and environmentally friendly
Hmmm I spend far more on computer equipment, Internet connections and power bills than I ever do or have on magazines. I wouldn't underestimate the amount of power used running all these PC's and the data centres that host most of these sites and how much of an environmental impact these have either.

Not saying its not better but its certainly not as green as you'd think.
Not massively,the Internet has largely succeeded print media for niches like this.
The future for publications that are monthly looks OK, so long as you can keep the quality at a high level, although I would think that a magazine with more content every 2 months may get more fans, although the revenue will certainly drop, however it probably already is.....
I've worked on the IT side of publishing for longer than I care to remember and its been obvious that print is on the way out for periodicals for some years. Books I think will always be around, there's something comforting about sitting down to read a good book.

As far as periodicals go then journals (of the academic kind) have pretty much gone electronic, faster, cheaper delivery of peer reviewed material (for which a years subscription costs in the thousands) has been available for years and print versions are beginning to be discontinued.

The reason it hasn't happened with magazines or newspapers yet is no ones figured out away to make the delivery appalling and economic for what is essentially a low cost commodity. Though the rumour is that Apple might be showing something off in this area later this month.
Am I saying CKUK is for old giffers??? Discuss
Sitting down to read a book or a magazine takes a degree of concentration and effort that I think a lot of people aren't willing or able to do when there are much less demanding youtube videos or "worlds biggest" type programmes on TV. I think to a certain extent there is a generation gap, maybe not even that as I know several older people who exhibit the same symptoms.

Which is odd because conversely I would say its easier to sit down and read say Francos book on WWS&R than it is to wade through the topics on this forum as filter out the utter tosh from the good stuff. The books also easier to read and prettier than this forum so there.

When print magazines do go the way of the dinosaur ideally what I'd like to see is a website that alongside a forum accepts submissions which are then reviewed, edited and published online in a magazine article style format that can also be printed off if required. I'd also like the ability to select multiple articles and order a printed book of these compiled articles on demand if I so wished. But such things are expensive, time consuming and for commercial entities difficult to monetise.

The Internet (actually modern society in general) though great in many ways has had the unfortunate effect of making everyone believe that their opinion has equal importance and relevance to everyone else's even when it blatantly isn't and this really annoys me. Experts aren't allowed to exist anymore because Jo Blogs has just as much right to have his opinion counted with equal weighting even if its bollocks. Which if I'm right probably makes everything I've typed above meaningless and pointless, sorry to of wasted your time.

Anyway just a few (ahem) ramblings.

Cheers
Simon

danwestaway

Post by danwestaway »

This is one of the most engaging posts ive come across on here..

I was on the market for a new boat (another one!) and i could almost recite the KS boat guide word for word because it wasnt a boat review, just a cut and paste gumpf fest.

On the other hand, I find the forum mentality very tiresome ie; one post, two post, three post, you're a LOOOSEEER........

i always used to respect someone elses ramblings about paddling, but these days its hard to tell whos genuine (subsidised or otherwise) or blowing out there ass (subsidised or otherwise )

I've always thought the best opinion is from someone else you paddle with, backed up with some good research.

its quite encouraging to see some well executed posts (quality) against the usual 'I AM' (quantity)

happy new year everybody.

Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm looking forward to reading the new issue of CKUK, but sadly I'm still waiting for the postie to decide its safe to deliver it! On the other hand, the internet isn't particularly affected by the weather.

horis karloff

Post by horis karloff »

Didn't expect there to be friction caused by starting this thread. Curious really into what you all think of the canoe mags.

The 2 mags in WH Smiths, Brixton High Street were Canoe and Kayak UK and another dinghy mag.

So I think most of us share a common thought among us with regard to canoe mags, interesting to some but not interesting to others.

Dr Repper

Post by Dr Repper »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Whilst not really a magazine and only barely "Old Media" LVM is very very good.
Never forgave LVM for using a film my wife made of the first Hurley Classic and failing to credit her. Even had some american bird turn up on TWP claiming that a friend of hers had popped across the pond to film it. Not happy.
What's the worst that could happen?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

IMO they're worth it when they have good reviews and comparisons, same goes for all magazines for me. I think the last PCW I bought featured a hard-drive super-test. The last CKUK I bought had the throwline group-test.

Although sometimes I can't help but think that reviewers appear to "suck up" to some manufacturers; they won't openly say that something is "shite" and you have to really carefully read between the lines to gauge whether something is good or not.

I quite like the american "Sea Kayaker" magazine, I ordered a series of back-issues with useful articles, and took out a year's subscription. They sent all the back issues, but only 1 mag out of the 6 for the subscription. Why spoil themselves by providing such bad service?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”